Effects loop question. MS paint masterpeices included.

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Effects loop question. MS paint masterpeices included.

Post by Kellan »

I'm running my effects in the loop, but am sorta confused by it. Here's why:

I'm playing through a Fender DeVille 4x10 combo 60 watts all tube.
There's a couple of inputs for preamp/effects loop shit:
"Footswitch" obviously for the onboard distortion footswitch. Distortion sounds like shit.
Then there's the "power amp in" input, which I'm guessing is the effects loop input.
And then there's the "preamp out" output (which is a female input), and I'm assuming that's the effects out, that goes to the Channel 1 input and get's processed through the amp after that.

My guitar goes into the distortion, then that goes into my EQ pedal, and then I run that to the "power amp in".
I then run a cable from the "preamp out" to my input.

Here's where I'm confused.
My volume knobs don't work now. There's a master volume and a regular volume, and they both don't do shit now. There's a constant level of volume that I can't control, outside of moving the slider on my EQ up or down, or turning off my EQ pedal.
There's no amplifier volume control.

If I run just my EQ in the loop, and then run my distortion in between the "preamp out" and the input of the amp, the distortion does nothing. I don't know why.

Other than that, the tone is wonderful. But I'd like to be able to mess around with effects positioning and be able to turn my volume up and down.

Am I running my effects loop wrong or something?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

You never connect an amp to itself.

You plug your guitar into the main input on the amp. If there is an effects loop on the amp you'll have a cable going:

Effects Send > Pedal > Pedal > Effects Return

I'm not sure that amp even has a loop.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0213201000

Four 10” speakers deliver big, bright tone! Our Hot Rod DeVille 410 sends 60 scorching watts straight into a quartet of 10” Fender Special Design Eminence speakers, courtesy of two 6L6 Groove Tube output tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. Yikes!

Three channels give you a choice of “normal” (with bright switch), “drive” (with gain and master controls) and “more drive” sounds, with additional features including an FX loop, Fender long-spring reverb, external speaker jack, internal variable bias control and two-button, three-function channel select footswitch. The look is pure Fender—chrome panel with vintage pointer knobs, plus black textured vinyl covering and silver grille cloth. Cover included.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I've never tried to fuck with an effects loop so I have close to no idea what I'm doing when it comes to that.
I'm not a big gear/tech-head.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

If anything would work it would be the Preamp Out > Effects In > Out > Power Amp In.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Why are you running it like that? Just run it all in the front end, guitar - dist - eq- all into the input. Bam pow go.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Ben wrote:Why are you running it like that? Just run it all in the front end, guitar - dist - eq- all into the input. Bam pow go.
what he said...and that's a sweet Jackson you got!!!!
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Gain-based effects like EQ, compression, and distortion should NEVER go through an effects loop. Effects loops are for time-based effects like Flange, Delay, Reverb, and Chorus. Put those effects in front of the amp.

And Bassphemy is right, what you are doing is essentially putting your signal into the post-preamp stage of the amp (where there's no signal conversion and, hence, no amplification).
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Ben wrote:Why are you running it like that? Just run it all in the front end, guitar - dist - eq- all into the input. Bam pow go.
what he said...and that's a sweet Jackson you got!!!!
:lol:
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

My guitar goes into the distortion, then that goes into my EQ pedal, and then I run that to the "power amp in".
I then run a cable from the "preamp out" to my input.

You're doing what's called "breaking the normal". In a patch bay at a recording studio, the rows of ins & outs are normalled (connected) to each other either fully, half, or not at all.

Here is Wikipedia's def of normalling:

Patch bays may be half-normal or full-normal, "normal" indicating that the top and bottom jacks are wired together internally. When a patch bay has half-normal wiring, its switching contacts flow through the bottom jacks of the bottom row while connected to the top row; plugging into the output connection will split the signal. If it a patch bay is wired to full-normal, then it includes switching contacts in both rows of jacks.

Your amp's "effects loop" is a half-normalled connection. The pre amp out & power amp in on your amp basically create the effects loop. By going from preamp out to amp input, you are basically running around your volume controls which is why they don't work.

For more great info on amps, check out Aspen Pitman's The Tube Amp Book or head to Groove Tubes website.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I'm trying to figure out why one would want to do that. I have used the preamp out of my Laney before to run directly to my old rack ADA poweramp. It never really sounded as good as just going through the Laney though.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I got the effects loop figured out.
I don't plan on running it like this, I was just fucking around because I was bored.
That, and I admittedly have never used an effects loop, never really looked into it until last night, so I didn't have much of an idea as to how to run effects in the loop.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Pflöyd wrote:Gain-based effects like EQ, compression, and distortion should NEVER go through an effects loop. Effects loops are for time-based effects like Flange, Delay, Reverb, and Chorus. Put those effects in front of the amp.
I've heard people say the exact opposite of what you just said. :shock:

Now I'm totally confused.
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

BassPhemy wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:Gain-based effects like EQ, compression, and distortion should NEVER go through an effects loop. Effects loops are for time-based effects like Flange, Delay, Reverb, and Chorus. Put those effects in front of the amp.

Words like "never" don't belong in this domain. It all comes down to what sounds best IN YOUR RIG, TO YOUR EARS, FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

The logic behind putting time-base effects in the effects loop (which comes after the preamp stage) is that you're not pre-amping any noise or artifacts added to the signal by the processor. If you break your amp down into a pedal-like signal chain, the input & preamp are like your distortion &/or compression, your eq is (duh) your eq, and your built-in effects (if any) are usually time-based & come right before the power amp section of the amp.

The RULE OF THUMB is: Gain-based effects first, EQ & other tone shapers (whammy, tremolo, etc) second, then time-based effects last. If you use a gate or noise supressor, that should probably go at the end, but I sometimes put it right after my distortions because that's the noisiest thing in the chain & helps to avoid chopping the ends off of delay taps & reverb tails. A wah pedal will sound drastically different before & after the distortion. The sound we're all used to hearing a wah make is with it placed first pedal after the guitar's output, but that may not always be what you want. I find in my bass rig, for instance, that putting the wah AFTER the distortion allows the wah effect to be more pronounced. Before the distortion it sounds much more subtle (not what I'm after).

Just fuck around alot until you hear what you want to hear, take notes or make recordings along the way, and know that you'll be fucking around with your signal chain for the rest of your life. That's part of why this shit is so much fun. :skull:
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

For the record, I've found that the best tone, in my opinion, comes from having the EQ looped and the distortion in-line.
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

silverback77 wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:

Words like "never" don't belong in this domain. It all comes down to what sounds best IN YOUR RIG, TO YOUR EARS, FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

The logic behind putting time-base effects in the effects loop (which comes after the preamp stage) is that you're not pre-amping any noise or artifacts added to the signal by the processor. If you break your amp down into a pedal-like signal chain, the input & preamp are like your distortion &/or compression, your eq is (duh) your eq, and your built-in effects (if any) are usually time-based & come right before the power amp section of the amp.

The RULE OF THUMB is: Gain-based effects first, EQ & other tone shapers (whammy, tremolo, etc) second, then time-based effects last. If you use a gate or noise supressor, that should probably go at the end, but I sometimes put it right after my distortions because that's the noisiest thing in the chain & helps to avoid chopping the ends off of delay taps & reverb tails. A wah pedal will sound drastically different before & after the distortion. The sound we're all used to hearing a wah make is with it placed first pedal after the guitar's output, but that may not always be what you want. I find in my bass rig, for instance, that putting the wah AFTER the distortion allows the wah effect to be more pronounced. Before the distortion it sounds much more subtle (not what I'm after).

Just fuck around alot until you hear what you want to hear, take notes or make recordings along the way, and know that you'll be fucking around with your signal chain for the rest of your life. That's part of why this shit is so much fun. :skull:
:tup:
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

BassPhemy wrote:

Well no, he's right kinda.

an effect loop is made to place an effect, after the distortion.
for example Wah, you put it in the effect loop when you don't use a distortion pedal, but if oyu do you put it right after the distortion pedal, usually.

It's the same with all effects, it will make sound differences, so one has to try out, there is no false way.
[img]http://70.84.190.115/6236/88/emo/eusa_think.gif[/img]