Look what I just got!

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

DBS wrote:ive been on the dean forums, and although there are a lot of very good and talented musicians with a lot of know-how, its also a breeding ground for dime fan-boys. anything he's associated with rules there. so i'd be wary about that kind of advice.
That's interesting. I was on the Dean forums for like a week a couple years back. It was the total opposite. The people on there hated Dean MLs and said it was the worst Dean model. Obviously they were just pissed because it's the only thing about Dean that most people know about.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

Wayne wrote:no, this is all white. front and back including neck and headstock.

it was made in the late 80's or early 90's
I see.Well I know which guitar you mean. But I can't find it anymore on the gibson site.
[img]http://70.84.190.115/6236/88/emo/eusa_think.gif[/img]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

warhead dime wrote:
DBS wrote:ive been on the dean forums, and although there are a lot of very good and talented musicians with a lot of know-how, its also a breeding ground for dime fan-boys. anything he's associated with rules there. so i'd be wary about that kind of advice.
That's interesting. I was on the Dean forums for like a week a couple years back. It was the total opposite. The people on there hated Dean MLs and said it was the worst Dean model. Obviously they were just pissed because it's the only thing about Dean that most people know about.
i was there for a brief period of time. it might have been the equivalent of someone coming here and reading the dimebag forum to get an understanding of what this place is like.

and about pickups - the ones i have on my gibson sound awful when it gets loud, but the ones on my stock washburn sound awesome. i have no idea why.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

There also seems to be a myth about pickups with inexperienced guitarists. People think if they stick Duncans in a squire strat its automatically going to sound awesome, then when it doesnt they feel ripped off. Fact is without high quality wood there's no point in putting good pickups in it because you want get the maximum effect.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:There also seems to be a myth about pickups with inexperienced guitarists. People think if they stick Duncans in a squire strat its automatically going to sound awesome, then when it doesnt they feel ripped off. Fact is without high quality wood there's no point in putting good pickups in it because you want get the maximum effect.
Then again Duncans are passive and more dependend on wood than active pick ups.

But I dig aswell passive.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I only like passive pickups, Active pickups dont do anything for me and they dont have any character in my opinion.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:I only like passive pickups, Active pickups dont do anything for me and they dont have any character in my opinion.
Same here. Actually You can often tell active from passive in amateur or even pro recordings if he uses active, because it's kind of...same sounding.
That's at least what I think.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i know about this much |-| about pickups.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I prefer passives to actives as well. High 5 guys!
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

DBS wrote:i know about this much |-| about pickups.
Well Active Pick ups (EMG) do add a lot of extra gain somehow to the sound and that's what makes EMG sound nearly exactly the same in no matter what guitar you put them.

Whereas passive pick ups (Duncans, Di Marzio, Gibsons) work different. They don't sound a lot different in different types of woods and are affected by the playing style a lot aswell I think.

I hope I could help a bit.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

warhead dime wrote:I prefer passives to actives as well. High 5 guys!
YAY :D

so now, which brand and which models?
and why of course
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I'm a huge fan of the Dimarzio X2N. It has the beefy chunky rhythm, and it lets the mid ranged shit ring out clearly, and also it has a good sustain on the high notes.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion is a reliable pickup. You can basically always assume it'll sound good in whatever guitar.

The Duncan JB is cool. It has kind of a crisp tone to it I think.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Also, you really do notice the difference in custom wound passive pickups, because each one sounds slightly different. For example my friends EVH Duncan sounds slightly different in his red ltd to his black ltd, both the same guitar. What pickups you hooked up with Dan? I have a Dimbucker in the bridge and 59 in the neck, I use the dimebucker for total high gain and the 59 for smoother , more Skolnick esque lead passages and cleans. My bro has an Angus Young sig SG, and I swear to god the Angus bridge pickup fucking sucks, which is ridiculous for the amount of money he paid for it, the 59 sounds good in the neck though obviously. I also have EMG HZ's in my hybrid V I had left over from my LTD , they fucking suck but they arent that bad, Im thinking of a Bare Knuckles Miracle man set for it when I can afford them :tup:
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

warhead dime wrote:I'm a huge fan of the Dimarzio X2N. It has the beefy chunky rhythm, and it lets the mid ranged shit ring out clearly, and also it has a good sustain on the high notes.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion is a reliable pickup. You can basically always assume it'll sound good in whatever guitar.

Coolness.

At the metallica boards there is this one weird, but awesome and cool musician that is in love with Dimarzio aswell. he used the X2N I believe (bridge?) and it sounded killer.
Yesterday he got himself an Air Norton (?). Haven't checked the clip yet since I overdid it with the download limit this month.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

warhead dime wrote:I'm a huge fan of the Dimarzio X2N. It has the beefy chunky rhythm, and it lets the mid ranged shit ring out clearly, and also it has a good sustain on the high notes.

I like the JB, ever played an ESP DV8? The sound from the JB/Jazz combo in that is incredible. Also I think the Duncan full shred rules when used properly, another thing, alot of people complain about the Dimebucker because it isnt Darrells tone in a bag, but from my experience if you dont use it to set out for his tone, and instead use it for your own, you have alot of options. I can get a real good twangy blues tone from it when i hit my coil tap and roll the tone down a little.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:Also, you really do notice the difference in custom wound passive pickups, because each one sounds slightly different. For example my friends EVH Duncan sounds slightly different in his red ltd to his black ltd, both the same guitar. What pickups you hooked up with Dan? I have a Dimbucker in the bridge and 59 in the neck, I use the dimebucker for total high gain and the 59 for smoother , more Skolnick esque lead passages and cleans. My bro has an Angus Young sig SG, and I swear to god the Angus bridge pickup fucking sucks, which is ridiculous for the amount of money he paid for it, the 59 sounds good in the neck though obviously. I also have EMG HZ's in my hybrid V I had left over from my LTD , they fucking suck but they arent that bad, Im thinking of a Bare Knuckles Miracle man set for it when I can afford them :tup:
Awesome, didn't know that :shock:

Well I'm still hooked up with the stock Gibson pick ups. I guess I will be for the longest time, since I gotta get backing mics and the Gibson pick ups cut it for me.

but maybe I'll consider a Dimebucker for super hi gain stuff in the bridge and a Jazz (dunno the correct name) for the neck.

Sounds nice :up:

Well Angus used like only bits of Distortion so yeah I guess for our needs they suck a lot.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:another thing, alot of people complain about the Dimebucker because it isnt Darrells tone in a bag, but from my experience if you dont use it to set out for his tone, and instead use it for your own, you have alot of options. I can get a real good twangy blues tone from it when i hit my coil tap and roll the tone down a little.
I never got why people want the exact tone of someone.

I myself am a Dime fanboy, but really...I want my own tone...that suits me best. Of course you can like start out on his tone, but then do whatever to get my own out of it somehow.
And then again dime's sound didn't just come out with this one pick up. It's the whole set up. A lot of people don't know it and are dissapointed a lot afterwards, I guess.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Sir Dan wrote:
dead forever wrote:another thing, alot of people complain about the Dimebucker because it isnt Darrells tone in a bag, but from my experience if you dont use it to set out for his tone, and instead use it for your own, you have alot of options. I can get a real good twangy blues tone from it when i hit my coil tap and roll the tone down a little.
I never got why people want the exact tone of someone.

I myself am a Dime fanboy, but really...I want my own tone...that suits me best. Of course you can like start out on his tone, but then do whatever to get my own out of it somehow.
And then again dime's sound didn't just come out with this one pick up. It's the whole set up. A lot of people don't know it and are dissapointed a lot afterwards, I guess.
Thing is I wouldnt be surprised if theres pieces of Dimes gear that people still dont know about, one item is that elusive thing in his rack that looks like a mesa preamp but its too hard to tell. I agree though, taking elements from your favorite player and shaping them into your own is the way to go, Darrell done it with RR, EVH and Priest to some extent.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

Sir Dan wrote:
Well Active Pick ups (EMG) do add a lot of extra gain somehow to the sound and that's what makes EMG sound nearly exactly the same in no matter what guitar you put them.

Whereas passive pick ups (Duncans, Di Marzio, Gibsons) work different. They don't sound a lot different in different types of woods and are affected by the playing style a lot aswell I think.

thanks. i concentrate on my playing a lot more than my sound. there's plenty of equipment buffs on here but im lost at sea with most of this stuff.

all i know is that my washburn sounds cool while my explorer sounds a bit like this....

Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:Thing is I wouldnt be surprised if theres pieces of Dimes gear that people still dont know about, one item is that elusive thing in his rack that looks like a mesa preamp but its too hard to tell. I agree though, taking elements from your favorite player and shaping them into your own is the way to go, Darrell done it with RR, EVH and Priest to some extent.
Exactly actually I don't even know what he used. I just guess he EQ'sed had soem kind of pitch shift effect and lot gain, few mids, lot bass and high.
Judging from a "similar" sound preset on my GT8.

Makes sense. Any pics?

Exactly and as you see, his sound got famous. Unfortunately not enough people view it the same way and throw out money for the distorion pedal and the eq'er. (I heard the distortion pedal is horrible)
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

DBS wrote:
Sir Dan wrote:

thanks. i concentrate on my playing a lot more than my sound. there's plenty of equipment buffs on here but im lost at sea with most of this stuff.

all i know is that my washburn sounds cool while my explorer sounds a bit like this....
Well I was teh same, but reading musician forums on some boards does help a lot. (also in saving money)

BTW: a link to the pic would have been good enough.
:shock:
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

DBS wrote:
Sir Dan wrote:

You should get familiar with that kind of stuff. There's so many little factors that go into the final product of your tone. Dime would work on his setup and tweak his guitars for hours to find his sound.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

In saying that the true measure of a guitarist is how he sounds when he's out of his safe enviroment. Ie : Take someone and plug them into one of those battery powered mini marhalls, if they still sound good, then you know its fucking talent, not gear. Look at Jason Becker, he used the shittest gear around but was still incredible sounding. Same with Friedman on the Cacophony records.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

warhead dime wrote:
DBS wrote:
Sir Dan wrote:

You should get familiar with that kind of stuff. There's so many little factors that go into the final product of your tone. Dime would work on his setup and tweak his guitars for hours to find his sound.
id love to but i dont have money to spend on little factors. the only time i change my tone (which i get through a marshal MG100DFX) is on my computer with cool edit pro.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:In saying that the true measure of a guitarist is how he sounds when he's out of his safe enviroment. Ie : Take someone and plug them into one of those battery powered mini marhalls, if they still sound good, then you know its fucking talent, not gear. Look at Jason Becker, he used the shittest gear around but was still incredible sounding. Same with Friedman on the Cacophony records.
You've got a point there. And I notice at a lot guitarists: You sound what you sound like.
It differes with the gear, but somehow you keep all your characteristics in your tone.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Sir Dan wrote:
dead forever wrote:In saying that the true measure of a guitarist is how he sounds when he's out of his safe enviroment. Ie : Take someone and plug them into one of those battery powered mini marhalls, if they still sound good, then you know its fucking talent, not gear. Look at Jason Becker, he used the shittest gear around but was still incredible sounding. Same with Friedman on the Cacophony records.
You've got a point there. And I notice at a lot guitarists: You sound what you sound like.
It differes with the gear, but somehow you keep all your characteristics in your tone.
Alot of people mask it well, I mean, some moron with a big assed amp running through a huge PA with enough gain could play out of key 10 times in the one song and not alot of people will notice.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:
Sir Dan wrote:
Alot of people mask it well, I mean, some moron with a big assed amp running through a huge PA with enough gain could play out of key 10 times in the one song and not alot of people will notice.
Oh true you can hide mistakes with gain. But I always managed to hear them so far.

Another reason to practise unplugged or clean if you are practising. You get much clearer and if it sounds good in clean, then you got something.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I always work on runs clean , if it doesnt sound good clean you obviously arent doing it right.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:I always work on runs clean , if it doesnt sound good clean you obviously arent doing it right.
Same here, but that's because my Ibanez practise amp sucks a lot :D
Exactly.
Then again you need the practise with gain aswell since you have to mute the noise producing strings.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

If you can palm mute accurately then your sorted, you need to learn some good left hand muting for some sweeps and the odd bit of rhythm too though.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:If you can palm mute accurately then your sorted, you need to learn some good left hand muting for some sweeps and the odd bit of rhythm too though.
Well mainly in lead playing you gotta mute all the unused strings, which can be quite challenging if you are new to this.

you mean you mute with your left hand when you sweep?
I'm quite new to sweep picking (I suck at it). I started a month ago and started practising it regulary for some days only. and a three string sweep I mute the string right after I hit it with the palm of my picking hand.
Is this some shitty technique?

I have no idea. I haven't checked cyberfret yet, sicne I can't watch the vids for now.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I mean you roll your fingers, so the string you just touched is still after the note has it.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

dead forever wrote:I mean you roll your fingers, so the string you just touched is still after the note has it.
Yeah but not always since you release it from the fretboard you get often noise. Or I do.

I guess it's just some technique issue.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Sir Dan wrote:
dead forever wrote:I mean you roll your fingers, so the string you just touched is still after the note has it.
Yeah but not always since you release it from the fretboard you get often noise. Or I do.

I guess it's just some technique issue.

You arent doing it properly if you get noise :lol:

eg:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6u1YmHkVNMc& ... tle%20wing

Watch his fingers in the faster bits , they roll smoothy and there isnt a single bum note, and that shits improv!
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i cant sweep pick but then again ive never tried. the guitarist in my band is probably the most accomplished sweep picker ive seen. he's about 20,000 times as good as i am. theres a clip of him playing on my bands myspace but its only about 30 seconds long. it doesnt do him justice but check it out if you like...

http://www.myspace.com/nauseamusic
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Sweeping is cool and all, but mixing it with Alternate picking, i think the phrase is "conservative picking" or some shit, thats about 100 times more difficult and it opens up alot more options. I cant even attempt that.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

This is a good example of what I mean

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RBPyjOUlhp0& ... er%20fifth
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

dead forever wrote:Sweeping is cool and all, but mixing it with Alternate picking, i think the phrase is "conservative picking" or some shit, thats about 100 times more difficult and it opens up alot more options. I cant even attempt that.
:lol: It's economy picking. This is one of the main aspects to my style of playing.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Friedman always called it Conservative picking, I was always under the impression Economy picking was just consistantly using downstrokes in lead passages.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Ah shit nevermind, I got mixed up hahaha.

Anyway heres some becker for the road, the part where he says "I cant tap" and plays the most flawless tapping licks i've ever heard is pretty cool.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3fvB4QO1qo& ... n%20becker