Peavey ValveKing Head

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Peavey ValveKing Head

Post by Lando Griffin »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=481170

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking to upgrade from a combo amp to a halfstack but I don't want to spend $2000 and shiiiiiiit, and I want tubes. Basically, the price of the ValveKing caught my eye and I was lucky enough to find a local store that had the combo version of it. It was pretty sweet but I don't really have a lot of experience with different equipment, especially tube amps. Just wondering how it looks "on paper" if you guys haven't played it before, cause I'm not entirely sure about the little things to look for in an amp. Thanks brosephs.

I play mostly metal stuff and sometimes dwelve into more straight up rockish stuff too, so I would want something kind of versatile.
Last edited by Lando Griffin on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

The rhythm guitarist in my band uses it. I'm not exactly sure how great it could sound because he uses shitty patch cables and a shitty guitar, but even then it sounds pretty good.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Look into these amps: Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber Plus, DC series, and Peavey 5150/XXX series
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

yeah, I know the 5150 and XXX are good.. not heard much about the valveking.. if you're on a budget, peavy's probably the way to go... they're workhorses if nothing else.
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

BabyKiller wrote:yeah, I know the 5150 and XXX are good.. not heard much about the valveking.. if you're on a budget, peavy's probably the way to go... they're workhorses if nothing else.
Yeah, my combo amp's a peavey special 212 and I've had it for 5 years. The only work that ever had to be done was getting transisters replaced which was no big deal. Then again, I haven't done a bunch of gigging with it either but it's been used a fair amount...so I definitely trust peavey.

I heard the 5150 and XXX have pretty weak clean channels. I don't know how much truth there is to that but I wouldn't spend close to $1000 for that if it's the case (well, for my needs at least)

CFH - So those two mesa's aren't in production anymore right? Would you happen to know what a good price would be those so I don't get ripped off? Thanks haha.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Yep they aren't in production, with the 50 Caliber Plus (make sure it is the plus) it should be anywhere from 400 to nothing past 600 (not including shipping). The DC series will be a little more expensive since they are more new, anywhere from 600 to 800 anything pass that you should decide. Also on the the 50 Caliber Plus, if you are going for a extreme metal tone, you might want to get a overdrive pedal to push it harder. Otherwise, just go with the DC head instead.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Also, just try out the XXX and 5150 heads if you know someone who's got them, you never know you might end up liking them. Don't forget this, even if it's 50 or 100 watts in a tube combo it makes no difference it is still going to be as loud as a half-stack. If you want more speakers, just a 2x12 extension cabinet and you will have a half-stack.