Technique or Feel (emotion) which do you prefer?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Technique or Feel (emotion) which do you prefer?

Post by CFH Eternal »

I honestly like to mix both. While it is fun to do some flash over the fretboard, I think feel connects overall more. Besides, today I think a lot of players think the only way to catch the audience is by shredding. Some people may think this as blasphemy but I think the opening solo in Mississisipi Queen by Mountain in some cases beats a Petrucci solo.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Hungry Somalian
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hungry Somalian »

feel>technique any day. stupid question.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Re: Technique or Feel (emotion) which do you prefer?

Post by warhead dime »

CFH Eternal wrote:I honestly like to mix both. While it is fun to do some flash over the fretboard, I think feel connects overall more. Besides, today I think a lot of players think the only way to catch the audience is by shredding. Some people may think this as blasphemy but I think the opening solo in Mississisipi Queen by Mountain in some cases beats a Petrucci solo.
For the most part, I agree with what you said. But even though Petrucci has the ability that very few possess, he still can put out some great feel and tonal spontaneity. My favorite playing of his ever is off of Scenes From a Memory. There are a lot of slower ballady songs and his solos are fuckin tear jerkers bra :x
Hungry Somalian
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hungry Somalian »

warhead dime wrote:
CFH Eternal wrote:I honestly like to mix both. While it is fun to do some flash over the fretboard, I think feel connects overall more. Besides, today I think a lot of players think the only way to catch the audience is by shredding. Some people may think this as blasphemy but I think the opening solo in Mississisipi Queen by Mountain in some cases beats a Petrucci solo.
For the most part, I agree with what you said. But even though Petrucci has the ability that very few possess, he still can put out some great feel and tonal spontaneity. My favorite playing of his ever is off of Scenes From a Memory. There are a lot of slower ballady songs and his solos are fuckin tear jerkers bra :x
the solo in 'Scarred'> everything else he's ever done and will ever do.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

Mixing the two is what makes the guitar player obviously. I mean who honestly likes rusty cooley? (please god...)
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

I can obsess over a song that someone who just picked up the guitar can play, but if you are someone like Rusty Cooley then you're pretty much useless since you can't write for shit. Doom metal :tup:
Q&A: Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?

Cro Cop: Yes

[quote="Neural Implosion"] I'm just a grindcore musician out there trying to make it[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

St Vitus ftw

But anyway a mixture of it both is where its at , ie: Dime.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Feel, hands down.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
MySpace and YouTube Links
n0ob

Post by MySpace and YouTube Links »

Pflöyd wrote:Feel, hands down.
What about phrasing? :(

www.myspace.com/zakkwylde
www.myspace.com www.youtube.com
HoustonKJ- "This site has turned into nothing but a bunch of MySpace and YouTube links."
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

whereas its cool to watch someone play 20 notes a second for a couple of minutes, i wont continue to watch them do it constantly, cos it gets old fast, whereas a david gilmour solo (e.g Time) is not technically unbelievable, but i could listen to that everyday. so yes, feel > technique, although you need the latter to be able to effectively use the former.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

DBS wrote: so yes, feel > technique, although you need the latter to be able to effectively use the former.
tr00
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I know a guy who will say, "that's not how I wrote it, it doesn't have the same feel" when I play some of his riffs. I continually want to punch him in the face for writing things that aren't in tune and on time. I think that if someone isn't technically proficient on their instrument then they will lack the ability to properly play with "feel" and capture my attention.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

Suck me
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Speed is obviously better. After a few minutes if you play enough notes per second you'll hit some right ones that will have feeling.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Playing with feel is something you can't teach. It's little nuances that pop out and spontaneous things that you do when you play that make up what feeling is. Speed, ability and technical proficiency is just a result of practice, determination and sometimes a bit of genetics which is still respectable.

However, like said before, Rusty Cooley can do crazy acrobatics on guitar all day, but his playing is some of the dryest and bland I've ever heard.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:
lolz
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Feel.
I make looove to my bass. I caress it and stroke it until it makes beautiful noises.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

rex brown just makes his fart
you know sometimes i wonder..
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Rex Brown is great. I'll fucking rape your head.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

SuicideNote wrote:I know a guy who will say, "that's not how I wrote it, it doesn't have the same feel" when I play some of his riffs. I continually want to punch him in the face for writing things that aren't in tune and on time. I think that if someone isn't technically proficient on their instrument then they will lack the ability to properly play with "feel" and capture my attention.
Wrong. Being overly technical actually robs music of feel. I used to have that bad habit. And look at Yngwie, he has no feel at all.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

If you're playing super technical stuff constantly and your fingers are flying around the fretboard the whole time, there is no room to let any note sustain and resonate with people. How do you make a note sound beautiful if it only lasted a fraction of a second. There are few people that can actually make their proficiency meaningful.

However, you should actually just serve the music itself. Sometimes it calls for some fast playing, and sometimes it would suit it better to play some slow soulful stuff, etc.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

I think petrucci is the best example of technical proficency and feel in solos. I havn't liked anything DT put out after scenes though..
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:
I didn't mean all Petrucci stuff, my bad.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

Satriani has phenominal technique but none of his shit is wank, so I respect people like that :tup: Whatever sounds cool.
Q&A: Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?

Cro Cop: Yes

[quote="Neural Implosion"] I'm just a grindcore musician out there trying to make it[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Satriani has great ability and a really unique feel and is REALLY good with his picking nuances and stuff, but when you see him do the fast legato stuff live it looks like it would hurt really bad playing like that. His left hand positioning is pretty odd.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

All that shred crap is just beyond stupid. I couldn't imagine listening to a whole CD of it. I can't even get through a whole song of it. Hey, look how fast I can play. Hey, in case you forgot how fast I could play I'm going to play fast in this song too.

People that can really do that shit or love listening to it get mad when you tell them it lacks soul. They write really dumb and boring songs so they can showcase how great they are because they don't want to be in a band where they won't be center stage the whole time.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

BassPhemy wrote:All that shred crap is just beyond stupid. I couldn't imagine listening to a whole CD of it. I can't even get through a whole song of it. Hey, look how fast I can play. Hey, in case you forgot how fast I could play I'm going to play fast in this song too.

People that can really do that shit or love listening to it get mad when you tell them it lacks soul. They write really dumb and boring songs so they can showcase how great they are because they don't want to be in a band where they won't be center stage the whole time.
do you mean something like michael angelo or like steve vai? or both haha. I think vai is really creative, i can never get bored from his stuff. sex and religion didnt have much wankery and that cd is probably my fav. from him.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I'm a big Steve Vai fan. The guy has a lot of ability but anyone who says he just "wanks off" the whole time is fucking retarded. He has some of the most creative phrasing on the planet.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I like some of Vai's stuff and a lot more of Satch's stuff. I can't listen to that much of it at a time because it gets tiresome.

Michael Angelo, Rusty Cooley and Francesco Ferrari are all crap.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Francesco Ferrari is one of the worst (fairly) well-known guitarists I've ever heard. He can play fast, but has barely any control and just doesn't have any tone in his fingers. His playing is hideously dull and devoid of any emotion.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

At least he doesn't wear a pink skirt.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

bands with good mixes of technique and feel include morbid angel, carcass,
nevermore
rObsessed!
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Feeling is essential but technique is important too...you can feel what you're playing all day but if its crap...what difference does it make? Im sure Cobain felt every riff he was playing, but if you think he was a "great" guitar player you're smoking crack- Look at guitarists like Dime who didn't have a lick of training, but could write badass riffs and solos all day long...(obviously not to the technical "standard" as Satriani & others) Flashy shit just doesn't do it for me- but it doesn't mean they're not "feeling" what their playing...Although Kerry King's solos are just nonsensical garbage- I dont even think he knows what he's playing half the time.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Jefferino wrote:Feeling is essential but technique is important too...you can feel what you're playing all day but if its crap...what difference does it make?

Thanks for saying that, it goes along with my thinking.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

warhead dime wrote:I'm a big Steve Vai fan. The guy has a lot of ability but anyone who says he just "wanks off" the whole time is fucking retarded. He has some of the most creative phrasing on the planet.
haha yeah, just watch the freak show excess vid!
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Jefferino wrote:Look at guitarists like Dime who didn't have a lick of training, but could write badass riffs and solos all day long...(obviously not to the technical "standard" as Satriani & others).
I've said this a million times, but it was quite obvious that Dime held back a LOT in his solos. And also, a lot of the things he did that go unnoticed to a lot of people actually take a lot of skill. For example, his fucking rediculous legato.

Listen closely to his solo/s in Shattered. He doubled the first solo and you can barely tell because he played it perfectly.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

BassPhemy wrote:Rex Brown is great. I'll fucking rape your head.
:lol:
you know sometimes i wonder..
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

warhead dime wrote:
Jefferino wrote:Look at guitarists like Dime who didn't have a lick of training, but could write badass riffs and solos all day long...(obviously not to the technical "standard" as Satriani & others).
I've said this a million times, but it was quite obvious that Dime held back a LOT in his solos. And also, a lot of the things he did that go unnoticed to a lot of people actually take a lot of skill. For example, his fucking rediculous legato.

Listen closely to his solo/s in Shattered. He doubled the first solo and you can barely tell because he played it perfectly.
Also the solo in Throes of Rejection, the tapping run isnt simple, neither is the fast run at the end. Infact Id probably go as far as saying its his most technically challenging solo.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

They are equally important.

If you feel for all the right notes instinctively, but hit them weak as a result of incomplete technique, well that shit's good as obsolete.
If you can't bench her, don't fuck her.