Tubes

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Morguey
Sexy and Smart

Tubes

Post by Morguey »

I've been assigned the task of finding some new tubes for my husband's amp.

He's got a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. At the moment he's using the Mesa Boogie brand 6L6s that came with the amp, but it's time for new ones.

He wants to try out the EL34s to see if he likes those better. I figured I'd just go ahead and get him a set of each, just in case...

Here's my question...what's the difference between the stock Mesa Boogie brand, Sovtek, Svetlana, Eletro-harmonix, Ruby, Groove Tube...yadda, yadda, yadda???

I don't want to get him shitty tubes, so which ones are the best, and what kind of tones is he gonna get out of them?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I don't know about tubes, but it's awesome that you are that into your husband's music. My wife hates me when I lock myself away and play for hours.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

I've always heard Sovtek's are good.
CobraGT508 88 (4:32:07 AM): on a scale of 1-10, how tall is a goat with credit card eyes?
rebelextravagant (4:32:15 AM): 27%
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Groove-Tubes are really warm and smooth, great for crunch.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

groove tube el34 are pretty much for the loudness and 6l6's are more warm
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
SizlChest
Creampuff

Post by SizlChest »

AlabamaRedneck wrote:I've always heard Sovtek's are good.
They are, that's what Mesa puts in their amps....after they test and stamp their logo on the tubes of course.
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
-Steven Weinberg
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

the amp tech that fixed my amp strongly recommended JJ Teslas
Individual Thought Patterns
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Re: Tubes

Post by Brandon »

Morguey wrote:I've been assigned the task of finding some new tubes for my husband's amp.

He's got a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. At the moment he's using the Mesa Boogie brand 6L6s that came with the amp, but it's time for new ones.

He wants to try out the EL34s to see if he likes those better. I figured I'd just go ahead and get him a set of each, just in case...

Here's my question...what's the difference between the stock Mesa Boogie brand, Sovtek, Svetlana, Eletro-harmonix, Ruby, Groove Tube...yadda, yadda, yadda???

I don't want to get him shitty tubes, so which ones are the best, and what kind of tones is he gonna get out of them?
ill put my tube in your amp :|):
rObsessed!
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

JJ's are supposedly very good..

Ask the same question over in the Amp forum at www.harmony-central.com

Those guys will help you out no end!
A Fleeting Glimpse
Cowboy From Hell

Post by A Fleeting Glimpse »

All those brands sound different, and will sound/respond different in different amps. You'll get different results with various tubes. Sooooo basically it all comes down to what your husband wants/likes. You can get good opinions on what all those different brands sound like in a dual rec at the harmony central bb, in the amp forum (duh). They'll give you a better idea on what to expect from the different brands.

A lot of people seem to like JJ's in the DualRec.
Faithfully sardonic since 1982.
A Fleeting Glimpse
Cowboy From Hell

Ha! Scrotal already mentioned HCAF. :tup: I strongly recommend hitting that board up.
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

i've got a question on tubes.

if i switch out my el34's with another power tube (think 6550's or 6L6) will they give me a different distortion? i heard that EL34's give a warm soft feel to your distortion but i'm looking for a edgey metal tone. i changed my preamp tubes with JJ's and they made a bit of a difference but i think what i'm looking for will be in the power tubes. I know Kerry King and Zakk wylde have 6550's in their marshalls and this kinda gave me the idea. also, about how much would a bebias cost?
A Fleeting Glimpse
Cowboy From Hell

Pantera420 wrote:i've got a question on tubes.

if i switch out my el34's with another power tube (think 6550's or 6L6) will they give me a different distortion? i heard that EL34's give a warm soft feel to your distortion but i'm looking for a edgey metal tone. i changed my preamp tubes with JJ's and they made a bit of a difference but i think what i'm looking for will be in the power tubes. I know Kerry King and Zakk wylde have 6550's in their marshalls and this kinda gave me the idea. also, about how much would a bebias cost?
What amp are you talking about here? Most amps are not switchable between power tubes ... and doing so can harm your amp. Getting a tech to rebias your amp can cost various amounts, depending how much they'll charge you, duh!
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

i have a Marshall DSL 50 and you can definetly switch out power tubes, but a rebias is necessary for normal function