Favorite mics for...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Favorite mics for...

Post by silverback77 »

Guitar: Sennheiser e609, SM57
Bass: AKG D112, Audix D6
Acoustic: Whatever condensers are laying around, but hopefull 1 large & 1 small diaphragm
Vocals: SM58, Audix OM5, OM6 or OM7, Audio-Technica 4050
Drums: Kick-Audix D6 or AKG D112; Snare-SM57 top + AKG 414 bottom; Hats/Ride-Shure or Audix condesers, MXL 993; Overheads-any decently matched pair of condensers; Toms-Audix D1, D2, D3, D4,, F90 or Sennheiser 421's.

Anyone else got some cool REAL-WORLD faves? I know Neumans sound great but I don't happen to have the bank account of an oil magnate.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

direct in to my SWR Workingpro 700

only thing I use that goes through the front end.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Shitty PA mic.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:Shitty PA mic.
I'm not familiar with the brand "Shitty".
Are they any good?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

mic prices are fucking ridiculous :tdown:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

Lord of This World wrote:mic prices are fucking ridiculous :tdown:
Very true.
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

$13,999.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SolutionDS/

$5699.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M150Tube/
Last edited by PABassPlayer on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Are they any good?
You're marginally more funny than cancer.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
Are they any good?
thanks! :tup:
and everyone said you were mean spirited and hard to get along with.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

And totally fucking overblown. I'm sure there is merit to a $6000 mic, but I think $ is better spent on good preamps and cheaper mics. MXL & RODE make some really, really good sounding cheap condensers, and that leaves some $ left over to get a good mic pre or 2.

I don't know if that's advice or observation...
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

SB, it sounds like you know a bit about recording. What outboard gear to you own, sound card, monitors, control board? I already know that you run Cubase.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I have 1 AT3035 and 1 SM57, 1 ART Tube Studio MP and a Delta 44 sound card. I have a few pieces of crappy outboard stuff but I won't ever use them. I plan to get more equipment soon.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

BassPhemy wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
Are they any good?
:zzz:
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

SuicideNote wrote:SB, it sounds like you know a bit about recording. What outboard gear to you own, sound card, monitors, control board? I already know that you run Cubase.
My audio interface is a PreSonus Firebox. Soundcard is SB Xfi Fatality which is cool because in addtion to having a game dork mode, it also has optimized modes for recording & entertainment.

My monitor is pretty stock & shitty, a 17" Compaq flat panel. I plan to upgrade to two 19" or greater widescreens soon.

I recently sold a bunch of outboard gear because A) it was old, B) it was Behringer, who makes good gear but it doesn't really have any "personality" to it, and C) I just, um, acquire a shitload of plug ins, and I find using them to process a good dry signal gets me results I'm happy with for now. My remaining outboard gear includes a Raine 5-band parametric (pre-Mojo series, when they were still making good gear), an Alembic SF2 bass superfilter (short of a vintage Neve eq module, this is the SICKEST bass eq I've ever heard. Sounds great on guitars, too), and I use my pedalboard when I want to print effects as I record.

Most of the time, I just go straight in thru my SansAmp bass driver DI to the Firebox. I don't like to record w/ compression because I'd rather use a shitload on the back end to make up for none on the front end as opposed to accidentally overcompressing before I even hit the hard drive. You can't un-fuck.
dbmetalmagic
Creampuff

favorite mics for......

Post by dbmetalmagic »

personally for the price I think SM57's are pretty fuckin dope. They do toms, cymbals, and guitars.