changing career ambition

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

changing career ambition

Post by The Sinister Minister »

i thought about it for some time and i've decided to persue playing piano as my musical ambition. before it was drumming and though i've had a lot of fun with it, i never shared a passion for it. lately i've been hanging around pianists and i've learned a new appreciation for the instrument and for these musicians. i'm leaning towards picking up this stage piano http://yamaha.ca/content/electronickeyb ... atures.jsp for $769.00 CDN and am starting from scratch learning the instrument. the lady at the music store says its equivalent to a grand piano in terms of weighted keys, and in sound which is what i want.

what do you guys think?advice?suggestions?blah blah blah.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

die
Fuck Ole Miss
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Learn to read treble and bass clef well, it's pretty important as you will need to practice songs for a long time to build hand independence. I would advise getting lessons regardless because you can learn a lot of bad habits in a short amount of time with hand placement, wrist angle, and the like.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
S
Interloper

Post by S »

get a synth. fuck that shit.
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

Pflöyd wrote:Learn to read treble and bass clef well, it's pretty important as you will need to practice songs for a long time to build hand independence. I would advise getting lessons regardless because you can learn a lot of bad habits in a short amount of time with hand placement, wrist angle, and the like.
good stuff. i'm just wondering how long it would take to even become a decent pianist. how long would it take to become a decent guitar player generally?
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

The Sinister Minister wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:Learn to read treble and bass clef well, it's pretty important as you will need to practice songs for a long time to build hand independence. I would advise getting lessons regardless because you can learn a lot of bad habits in a short amount of time with hand placement, wrist angle, and the like.
good stuff. i'm just wondering how long it would take to even become a decent pianist. how long would it take to become a decent guitar player generally?
There isnt really a set amount of years, its mainly down to a : Your drive and hunger for learning, and b: Your level of patience for learning songs. Some people just give up if they cant play something first time, others persevere. The latter become good guitarists.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

dead forever wrote:
There isnt really a set amount of years, its mainly down to a : Your drive and hunger for learning, and b: Your level of patience for learning songs. Some people just give up if they cant play something first time, others persevere. The latter become good guitarists.
i'm thinking of also learning to play guitar. to my surprise i ran into an old family friend over the weekend who happens to live around my area and he teaches guitar. his style: flamenco. that's pretty amazing shit. he says if i pick up a guitar,to give him a call and we can work out some lessons and would give me a reasonable price for lessons.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

dead forever wrote:
i'm thinking of also learning to play guitar. to my surprise i ran into an old family friend over the weekend who happens to live around my area and he teaches guitar. his style: flamenco. that's pretty amazing shit. he says if i pick up a guitar,to give him a call and we can work out some lessons and would give me a reasonable price for lessons.
Take up his offer. Flamenco guitar is leaps and bounds above most other styles.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Overall, guitar is more the quick-fix as far as seeing results because the rudiments are easier to grasp, but I think piano is way more rewarding overall and a better stepping stone in understanding theory as well as the interplay of rhythm, melody, and harmony.
scorn
ok
Location: i haven't been here in almost a year. stay off my account niggers.

Post by scorn »

i think that, in general, having a solid grasp on how to play any instrument makes learning another easier. there's something to be said for already understanding time signatures, dynamics, chords, scales, and all that fundamental stuff, and just applying it to another instrument, instead of starting completely from scratch.
SicKitten81: I didn't do anything to Jason except turn down the stereo when I was trying to sleep after an abortion. so he beat up on me
heavymetalsoldier666: When I was a baby my mother had to special order certain shoes.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

scorn wrote:i think that, in general, having a solid grasp on how to play any instrument makes learning another easier. there's something to be said for already understanding time signatures, dynamics, chords, scales, and all that fundamental stuff, and just applying it to another instrument, instead of starting completely from scratch.
Thats definately true, i played trumpet for 5 years up untill i was nearly 11. Then when i picked up guitar my ear for music was alot better than other kids at my level, it developed to the point where after 2 or 3 years i could work out most stuff i heard roughly, excluding solos or whatever, that came later. It definately benefits you though.
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

Pflöyd wrote:Overall, guitar is more the quick-fix as far as seeing results because the rudiments are easier to grasp, but I think piano is way more rewarding overall and a better stepping stone in understanding theory as well as the interplay of rhythm, melody, and harmony.
though i do agree with what you say, seeing that i'm 22 years old, wouldn't i be considered too old to get into playing piano as a profession?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Pflöyd wrote:Overall, guitar is more the quick-fix as far as seeing results because the rudiments are easier to grasp, but I think piano is way more rewarding overall and a better stepping stone in understanding theory as well as the interplay of rhythm, melody, and harmony.
though i do agree with what you say, seeing that i'm 22 years old, wouldn't i be considered too old to get into playing piano as a profession?
No. I didn't start playing drums until I was 22 and I play out on them all the time now.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

dead forever wrote:
thats extremely true... nothing pisses me off than when i venture into a style of music i know nothing about and have to learn it, and its frustrating as hell, but when i do learn it, its rewarding as hell, too.

i have a lot of respect for anyone who has the patience to fully learn piano., that is a bitch of an instrument to really pull off. there are so many styles to take on, and to really find a nice playing it is next to impossible.
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

fuck it. just came back from the store and i got me:

Ibanez SA120 guitar in black.

Line 6 Spider2 amp.

shoulder strap, picks, extra strings, guitar case (didn't come with it unfortunately)

grand total: $888.78 CDN

1 year warranty on the guitar and amp, i have up to a year to extend the warranty.
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

another thing, what songs would you recommend a n00b like me to learn to play guitar? shit that will teach/introduce me to chords, different techniques, etc.???

and some sites that teaches you more about chords,proper fingering, and all that.

and of course, good sites for accurate guitar tabs.

and another thing, would it be more beneficial to learn to play guitar by reading tabs or music sheet?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

For guitar, sheet music isn't necessary, really. It's good to know, I suppose, but not really a priority.

Really, the best stuff to learn guitar on is just stuff you're interested in. You'll be more enthusiastic to tackle a hard song that you really like than an easy one you don't.
The Sinister Minister
Cowboy From Hell

my guitar teacher (flamenco dude i mentioned earlier) says he'll charge $30 CDN a lesson. i'm just wondering,how does that compare to what other teachers charge normally? too much? good deal? fair?
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

The Sinister Minister wrote:my guitar teacher (flamenco dude i mentioned earlier) says he'll charge $30 CDN a lesson. i'm just wondering,how does that compare to what other teachers charge normally? too much? good deal? fair?
It's not bad. I take lessons from the guy from Quo Vadis for 25 bucks for 60-90 minute lessons, but places such as the Royal Conservatory of Music charges up to 60 bucks for 30 minutes.
Q&A: Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?

Cro Cop: Yes

[quote="Neural Implosion"] I'm just a grindcore musician out there trying to make it[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I wish i lived near Alex Scholnick. A guy off the megadeth boards gets lessons from him, normally i wouldnt bother with lessons but from him, yes please.
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

dead forever wrote:I wish i lived near Alex Scholnick. A guy off the megadeth boards gets lessons from him, normally i wouldnt bother with lessons but from him, yes please.
hmm, interesting. Skolnik lives in manhattan now, right? Maybe I should look into that :aargh:
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

Kyle wrote:i have a lot of respect for anyone who has the patience to fully learn piano., that is a bitch of an instrument to really pull off. there are so many styles to take on, and to really find a nice playing it is next to impossible.
There are so many styles to take on with any instrument.

I started out playing piano.
Majority of the time I would rather sit around listening to other instruments than guitar. I like to listen to alot of marching bands. I also listen to victor wooten alot too. I just like listening to stuff that is really polyrhythmic..that is what appeals to me the most about any music.
Bob Heebert
I will fuck you up

Post by Bob Heebert »

always start on piano, its the easiest to learn plus its a base for learning music theory. once you learn piano you can play anything.
-Thread Killer-
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

A great thing about piano too is it helps familiarize yourself with harmony and basic theory. For example, a guitar player can learn the pattern for a bar chord for a major/minor/dominant chord etc. and then memorize that pattern and apply it to different keys. For the piano, there's that mental application where you need to know the notes in whatever harmony you're playing, and be able to remember what notes make up that chord. Of course this doesn't mean that guitarists don't know those things, but I suppose some people can get away with it. So yeah, even if you're not looking to be a serious piano player, it's still good to know a little bit.