how are guitar lessons structured?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
stoic
Lynch Mob

how are guitar lessons structured?

Post by stoic »

if any of you've taken them, how'd the dude teaching you break up the lesson? how long was it?
when I was in piano, the dude'd give you books. scales, hanon, and a song book. we'd spend 10 minutes on one scale, 10 minutes on the hanon of that week, and 10 minutes on the song. it was a short lesson, but it was structured.

anyone have guitar lessons like that? i've been to 2 different guitar teachers, and both are like "bring in a cd or song you wanna learn and I'll go over it with you".

I'm like, motherfucker..... I can do that shit on my own. asign me a fuckin scale, or some progression to fiddle with....or fuckin WHATEVER. anyway, I know every teacher's different, but these 2 i've had are fuckin putzes. they don't wanna do shit except play a solo and have you finger it after them. fuck that.

tell me your experiences. and don't give me any a that Willie Brown from Crossroads "robert'd say you gotta learn it for yoself" crap either. I want a structured learning system. there's gotta be a fuckin teacher out there who does this shit.
S
Interloper

Post by S »

then go to guitar school
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

go to high school :fu:
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

Sounds to me like you're looking for a little insight on scales, ladders, chords progressions etc. and were to find them on your guitar. This is pretty theoretical, so you might be helped with books or whatever more on this matter.
Teachers are more likely to make you do fingerexercises or tab out songs for you. Or, show off some skills with a you-aint-never-gonna-learn-that-smile on their face like you said. I honestly don't see any advantage in taking lessons unless you're a real beginner though. It is usefull to see other people play and observe their techniques, but you don't to pay money for that.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

My first guitar instructor was about 65 years old and put out blues records back in the 50s. He new his instrument inside and out. The lessons were 30 minutes and ran a bit like this; I'd come in and he'd ask me how many hours I practiced this week. Usually I'd tell him like 5 and he said that isn't going to cut it son, you better step it up. But then he'd diagram out songs and hand draw chord fingerings. He did it fast as hell. Once the song for the week was all diagrammed out, he would go through the chords with me and make sure i wasn't fucking up. Basically he wanted me to play old style jazz and blues things until I got good because the heavy metal riffs that I wanted to play were too easy and were a waste of his time. This worked out well because I can now play sweet Bm7 chords and switch between different fingerings like a pro. The downside was that when I was 17 i thought playing Jazz songs was pretty gay.

Get a better teacher, every tome dick and harry teaches guitar.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

hey thanks, fellas. I knew it was gonna be bad when I step in the room and there's this 12 inch fucking fender with no overdrive. and johnny tool and dye's sitting there picking his nose waiting for me and dreaming about when he had hair on his head.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I am thinking of taking a music theory class over the summer at my college.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]