Lyricists

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
FUBAR
Grass God

Lyricists

Post by FUBAR »

How do you go about writing lyrics to music? Do you finish the song first and then apply the lyrics to fit the already moulded song? Or do you write music around your lyrics? I have no trouble writing lyrics, I have a ton but it's really difficult to take those and make them work for my bands songs, it'd be really easy if I wrote riffs but I cant play :no:
Captain Blackout
[quote="Wayne"]fubes does nothing but kick ass and cut grass[/quote]
Go Leafs Go
tweek
Lynch Mob

Post by tweek »

music around the lyrics. this way, you can create tabs that somewhat have the same flow as the lyrics do.
http://maclost.ytmnsfw.com/
http://macgyveruseless.ytmnd.com/
http://macgyverhatespeppers.ytmnd.com/
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I do both really. Sometimes I'll sit down and just write a song, then kinda of figure out a flow for them, and put a guitar line to that and it just goes from there.

But now that I have the ability to record, I have handfuls of complete songs with no lyrics whatsoever, so I take them and kind of just hum a beat. Buying a couple of the "Fuel" singles helped me with that, they had the demos of the song on there. :tup:
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

what's fun and good for the song, in my experience, is to write the lyrics, put a melody to them (or vice versa) and then add parts around the lyrical melody.
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

im awful at writing lyrics. when i'm writing a song, i play all the new riffs ive created and see which ones gel together best. when im done, ill record the guitar and then put a melody on top of the music. this is how i prefer to do it, as i am a musician more than a song writer. doing it this way tends to fuck up the lyrics youve written though, and you have to change words so they fit in with the melody.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I only do instrumentals. I win!
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I write lyrics usually when I'm pissed off or bored at work. I then apply these lyrics to music that I have written separatly.

I think that this way completes the circle of possible ways to write songs. I guess there is no best way to do it, only what works for you.

If I were a vocalist only, I'd probably start by humming a melody and then think of some nasty lyrics to fit or try to fit in some preexisting lyrics.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

When I write shit I get really drunk, it makes the proccess easier and more creative... so drink up fubar :tup:
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I have a notepad and a notebook full of stupid one liners, phrases, song titles and song ideas. I don't sit down and write a page of lyrics. If I'm writing a song or going over a song someone else in my band has written, I may find a line that fits or would sound cool, and I write around that.

In closing: lyrics are overrated.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Spoke
The Burt-er

Post by Spoke »

BassPhemy wrote:I have a notepad and a notebook full of stupid one liners, phrases, song titles and song ideas. I don't sit down and write a page of lyrics. If I'm writing a song or going over a song someone else in my band has written, I may find a line that fits or would sound cool, and I write around that.

I'm pretty sure Alexi Laiho thinks this way too.
[quote="BaptizedBurning"]randy (rhoads) can't be the greatest, because slash already is.[/quote]
[quote="Rage"]You're the John Cena of the PBB.[/quote]
FUBAR
Grass God

Post by FUBAR »

BassPhemy wrote:I have a notepad and a notebook full of stupid one liners, phrases, song titles and song ideas. I don't sit down and write a page of lyrics. If I'm writing a song or going over a song someone else in my band has written, I may find a line that fits or would sound cool, and I write around that.

Lyrics are really important to me.
Captain Blackout
Go Leafs Go
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Spoke wrote:

I'm pretty sure Alexi Laiho thinks this way too.
Too bad hes no good at it.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

FUBAR wrote:

If you can become a good lyricist, my hats off to you. Its hard to find something new to write about that hasn't been written 1000 times before in the exact same way. Also, keeping a flow and not having the same rhyme scheme and also not sounding stupid is hard as hell.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

BassPhemy wrote:
FUBAR wrote:

If you can become a good lyricist, my hats off to you. Its hard to find something new to write about that hasn't been written 1000 times before in the exact same way. Also, keeping a flow and not having the same rhyme scheme and also not sounding stupid is hard as hell.
It's all about the rhyme scheme :tup:

In rock/metal rhyme schemes are so simple that I can usually tell what they're going to say before they say it. I try to make mine a little more complex. Then I lace the track and lock the flow.
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

The answer to your question is.... welcome... to tomorrow. (take drugs and write down shit)
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

long4theblur wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:
FUBAR wrote:

It's all about the rhyme scheme :tup:

In rock/metal rhyme schemes are so simple that I can usually tell what they're going to say before they say it. I try to make mine a little more complex. Then I lace the track and lock the flow.
Yeah, when you can predict what they're going to say, well then they've failed at their job. Throwing rhyming out the window all together is very underrated.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i have a lil notepad with phrases written down, have it around when im stoned. builds from there into a 'song'. it then goes into songs that me and my friend (lead) write
we all throw in lyrics, but the drummer is real good at doing it. he was in jail and he wrote alot, had a couple of books down we still go into
... You're killing me, Smalls.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

FUBAR wrote:Lyrics are really important to me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
FUBAR
Grass God

Post by FUBAR »

DBS wrote:
What? They are, the only band I listen to with bad lyrics is Exodus :fu:
Captain Blackout
Go Leafs Go
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

FUBAR wrote:
DBS wrote:
What? They are, the only band I listen to with bad lyrics is Exodus :fu:
It dunt matur for DBS as long as the gitars rox hrd :tup:
Chewbacca
Far Beyond Driven

Re: Lyricists

Post by Chewbacca »

FUBAR wrote:How do you go about writing lyrics to music? Do you finish the song first and then apply the lyrics to fit the already moulded song? Or do you write music around your lyrics? I have no trouble writing lyrics, I have a ton but it's really difficult to take those and make them work for my bands songs, it'd be really easy if I wrote riffs but I cant play :no:
I don't think there is any set way of going about it. Whatever feels right I suppose. Sometimes I think of a good line which in turn creates a riff of sorts in my head, a starting point as it were, although usually I write the music and then put the lyrics to it, maybe with a few minor changes to make them fit.
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

chewy, whatever the fuck method you and jizzy do for making lyrics. you need to Costanza entirely cuz it can't get worse.

"more tiiiiiiiiiiiime. more tiiiiiiiiiiiime". :lol:

sorry.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I write down the wacky shit in my head, hand it to my guitarist and say "Make a song out of this"

He usually says "Fuck You", wads it up and throws it at me.
I have written many bass lines in my band, but not one song....Fuckers!
Bob Heebert
I will fuck you up

Post by Bob Heebert »

tweek wrote:music around the lyrics. this way, you can create tabs that somewhat have the same flow as the lyrics do.
that is only if you write the melody first. i go with the bass being wrote first and use the rythm to create the lyrics.
-Thread Killer-
Chewbacca
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Chewbacca »

stoic wrote:chewy, whatever the fuck method you and jizzy do for making lyrics. you need to Costanza entirely cuz it can't get worse.

"more tiiiiiiiiiiiime. more tiiiiiiiiiiiime". :lol:

sorry.
:lol: I hated that song.