Singing/Finding Your Own Voice

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Singing/Finding Your Own Voice

Post by BassPhemy »

My band can't seem to find a goddamn singer, so I guess I'm going to give it a shot...again.

The trouble is that I imagine the songs I write or that we have written with a certain voice over them, not my voice. I either try to emulate this voice, or some other singer's voice. I don't have "my own voice" I guess you could say. Any tips on how to find my own niche?
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
S
Interloper

Post by S »

sing like helmet
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Re: Singing/Finding Your Own Voice

Post by Revolver »

BassPhemy wrote:My band can't seem to find a goddamn singer, so I guess I'm going to give it a shot...again.

The trouble is that I imagine the songs I write or that we have written with a certain voice over them, not my voice. I either try to emulate this voice, or some other singer's voice. I don't have "my own voice" I guess you could say. Any tips on how to find my own niche?
I have that kinda' problem, but haven't over come it as of yet. The vocals in music such as Clutch is what grips people, i think, but i still haven't found that kind of quality.
Axl Rose
I will fuck you up

Post by Axl Rose »

S wrote:sing like helmet
[quote="Ash"]
You aren't original anymore. Let's have a real conversation. With sentences and everything.[/quote]

http://www.xanga.com/flaak_monkey
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

some people arent made to sing. give up.
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

dan wrote:some people arent made to sing. give up.
Not true. Most people don't have a natural ability to sing. Those who become good singers work their asses off to become that way. Even people with raw talent don't become polished until they have had lessons of some sort.

My advice is to find someone to teach you the fundamentals of singing. Breath support, proper breathing and exercises are all things that can be learned and are some of the most overlooked things in music. I've seen lots of local band's singers start out with a great performance but by the 2nd or 3rd song they die on stage because they lack endurance and proper singing technique.

Singing has just as much to do with physical strength(muscle memory) as it does to music. Anyone who can whistle a tune in key can become respected, if they put in the work. However if you don't have an ear for hitting pitches you will be fighting an uphill battle.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:My band can't seem to find a goddamn singer, so I guess I'm going to give it a shot...again.

Okay, we get it. You can stop bitching now. Nobody provoked this.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Chewbacca
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Chewbacca »

Can you growl?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Chewbacca wrote:

Can you growl?
Not without fucking up my throat after 2 or 3 songs.
Chewbacca
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Chewbacca »

BassPhemy wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:

Can you growl?
Not without fucking up my throat after 2 or 3 songs.
shit!
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Thats not the kind of reply I was hoping for.
Chewbacca
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Chewbacca »

Have you tried singing lessons? I mean like a book with a CD or something?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've tried the book/CD deal, but I don't have time for actual lessons. I'm thinking of purchasing that DVD from that lady that gave lessons to Randy Blythe and whoeverthefuck else that BT posted.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

the zen of screaming. that video talks about excercises to teach you the proper way to sing and stuff, itll be worth it if youre serious about it.

good luck man.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

If sceam while sucking in you can sound like a gay randy blythe :tup: My friend does that and it sounds like a fucking teradactal, he also tries to imitate ranyd but dats coo!
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
jasmin
MinMon

Post by jasmin »

i dont know if you actually want tips from me but here goes:

if you really WANT to sing, and use you voice to your best ability, and are aware that your voice is an instrument just like any other, then thats the first step.

even if you have a naturally amazing singing voice, you wont get by by just teaching yourself, and see what happends...
its easy to "just" sing, but your breathing capacity and and how well you are actually able to hold the note makes all the difference.

i doubt you will want to be singing high, so i will skip that bit.

the exercises are fucking ridiculous when you do them, because they sound so damn stupid. but thats not the point of doing them, and once you get over that, all will be ok.

you know your scales right? sure, you play bass.

start on a basic low E and make a motorboat sound where your lips vibrate. i had to learn, i couldnt do it straight off. this exercise will loosen your chords, and if you do it for lets say 3 minutes, or preferbly even longer you will be able to tell the difference straight away...ie. your voice will not be as hoarse as it usually is after the first song. you will also see how well you breathe.

now make an ongoing V sound, going up and down with your voice using E (or whatever note you are comfortable with without straining) and pretend your the motor in an imaginary car. you will feel the chords vibrate yet again.

even just humming in a low (or high too) voice will warm up your voice.

there is so much - mabye even too much - to write down right now. i have a few CDs that will help you for definate, when we are on aim at the same time, i could be a nice fucking girl and send em your way.

whats important i think aswell is to try and sing along to voices that you think you can relate to, and really listen if you can tell when they breathe before singing. dont try and sound like (whoever) - you have YOUR voice, and origionality is better than anything else. i "use" burton c bell, or anneke van giersbergen as a "guide" but would never ever copy their particular style.

and dont be shy. singing is totally different to holding a bass. its more personal i suppose, and you are more afraid to fuck up. you have it made though as you can hide behind your bass when on stage.

and last but not least, concentration is the most important thing in singing. especially when you are learning. you must remember the notes you want to sing in your head before you sing them, which isnt aways easy. i sometimes hum the note i sing next (to myself) when comming into a verse or chorous (or whatever) just to make sure i am not gonna fuck up.

pronounciation is very important too, and also the first note of a song (when sung) needs to be just as strong as lets say a really heavy chorus where you really give all to put accross whatever your trying to get accross. but thats more to do with concentration than anything else i guess.

let me know if your interested in the cds. i can only recommend using them.
Strange Machines
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

jizly, can you post some links to some of your guys' music? not beign a dick. i'll probably rip on it, especially your lyrics... but i want to hear chewy play.
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

whenever I try to seduce the bitches by playing guitar for them, i sound like a nasal version of layne staley. i'm gonna try all of that shit in jasmin's post.
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

axlash wrote:whenever I try to seduce the bitches by playing guitar for them, i sound like a nasal version of layne staley. i'm gonna try all of that shit in jasmin's post.
Dont even compare yourself to layne staley you jew nosed faggot :no:
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

sing a lot in different pitches for awhile until you find something you want. shouting is always cooler than screaming.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

Gnarkiller wrote:
axlash wrote:whenever I try to seduce the bitches by playing guitar for them, i sound like a nasal version of layne staley. i'm gonna try all of that shit in jasmin's post.
Dont even compare yourself to layne staley you jew nosed faggot :no:
:lol:
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
Sexual Thunder
Lynch Mob

Post by Sexual Thunder »

Find a good vocal coach, she (or he, most of 'em are usually female) will give you warm-up exercises mostly to hit a certain pitch or tone and give your vocal chords a good workout. Just like any other "muscle" in your body, it's painful at first, but they will get stronger.

And whatever jasmin said.
[quote="Mad Muir"]Turkey is awesome with the right kind of gravy, fags.[/quote]