active pickups vs. passive pickups

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
dirtbag
Creampuff

active pickups vs. passive pickups

Post by dirtbag »

I've been searching for a well-rounded backup guitar for some time now. Just as I think I've found the right one I read the specifications and sure enough it has active pickups. Are active pickups as bad as most people tell me they are? and can the excess string noise be eliminated/supressed with tinkering and/or buying a noise gate?
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i never heard any horror stories about active pickups. and some models cancels string noise/humming
... You're killing me, Smalls.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

My 85s work fine.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Active pickups on a guitar are kind a sore spot for me. It's hard to record and it makes the guitar even louder and take up more frequency range. To everyone BUT the guitar player, this is a pain in the ass.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Pflöyd wrote:Active pickups on a guitar are kind a sore spot for me. It's hard to record and it makes the guitar even louder and take up more frequency range. To everyone BUT the guitar player, this is a pain in the ass.
It's better to cut EQ than boost it. But I won't pretend to be an AE and know what I'm talking about when recording guitars.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Pflöyd wrote:Active pickups on a guitar are kind a sore spot for me. It's hard to record and it makes the guitar even louder and take up more frequency range. To everyone BUT the guitar player, this is a pain in the ass.
This is actually why I switched to passives
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

I prefer guitars with passive pickups, and active preamps are nice to have for live situations.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Yeah, I usually want to slap the snot out of guitar players with active pickups. There's no need for them. Bassists get active pick-ups so they can cut through the guitars better, the guitar is already out front and obnoxious, no need to increase its capacity to do this.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Why bass, Pfloyd?
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I'd comment, but most of the people posting in here are little guitar hackers that play in their bedrooms or mom and dads basement. The only time that have been on a stage was in their 3rd grade christmas choir, but they feel that they have the information you need to be a "real rockstar"

Log a few shows, get paid to actually play your guitar, then come back and give your advice.

it only took me about 5 min to read through the posts in this whole forum to figure out who is actually a musician, and who are just wannabes
Last edited by PABassPlayer on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

You're taking the forum title too literally.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I didn't take it literally untill I gave some advice and got trashed for it.
Heaven forbid an actual musician give some EDUCATED advice because they might know something.

Bunch of wannabe wankers.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

croninburg wrote:You're taking the forum title too literally.
hahaha
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

PABassPlayer wrote:I didn't take it literally untill I gave some advice and got trashed for it.
Heaven forbid an actual musician give some EDUCATED advice because they might know something.

You know nothing. Shut the fuck up before I James Dungy your faggot ass.
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

PABassPlayer wrote:I didn't take it literally untill I gave some advice and got trashed for it.

i wish i was the shit. does anyone else?
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:I'd comment, but most of the people posting in here are little guitar hackers that play in their bedrooms or mom and dads basement. The only time that have been on a stage was in their 3rd grade christmas choir, but they feel that they have the information you need to be a "real rockstar"

Log a few shows, get paid to actually play your guitar, then come back and give your advice.

it only took me about 5 min to read through the posts in this whole forum to figure out who is actually a musician, and who are just wannabes
Playing shitty, sloppy music in front of 100 people in a bar or in front of your little sister and your stoner buddy is exactly the same. Quit with the act that you can only be validated as a musician because some dumbfuck actually let you play in front of people. I can't tell you how many shitty bar bands I have seen that should have kept it in their garage.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Pflöyd wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:I'd comment, but most of the people posting in here are little guitar hackers that play in their bedrooms or mom and dads basement. The only time that have been on a stage was in their 3rd grade christmas choir, but they feel that they have the information you need to be a "real rockstar"

Playing shitty, sloppy music in front of 100 people in a bar or in front of your little sister and your stoner buddy is exactly the same. Quit with the act that you can only be validated as a musician because some dumbfuck actually let you play in front of people. I can't tell you how many shitty bar bands I have seen that should have kept it in their garage.
95% of unsigned myspace bands.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

TK wrote: 95% of signed national bands.
Fixed! :tup:
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I totally lost any respect I had for you, since you're a bitter, washed-up piece of shit.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:

I totally lost any respect I had for you, since you're a bitter, washed-up piece of shit.
Aw shucks, that was before.
Gimme another chance.
I was bitter, now I want to be a "kinder, gentler PABassPlayer of the new millenium"
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

how bout this guy...
SizlChest
Creampuff

Post by SizlChest »

Shut up.
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
-Steven Weinberg
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I would like to apologize for making a blanket statement about the good (cough,cough) people of this board. I was callous and bitter.

If not, I've got these cheeseburgers.....I'll suck your dick!
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]