Getting locking device for my floyd rose

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
13steps
I will fuck you up

Getting locking device for my floyd rose

Post by 13steps »

I want to install a locking device on my floyd rose tremolo so that I'll be able to play in different tunings than C# (which it's setup for right now).
In your opinion is this a good thing? Will changing strings and that kinda stuff be more difficult? Will it fuck up the intonation? Is it worth the money (it'll cost me about $100)?
Also should I set the tremolo for standard tuning and lock it when I tune down or should i set it for e.g. C# and lock it when tuning up?

help :|
[quote="PhilCore"]er du behövande en rum - kompis? :)[/quote]
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

set it in standard, pieces of wood also work.
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

thanks
dan wrote:pieces of wood also work.
:shock: how exactly?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

you're not gonna be able to down tune two whole steps with fine tuners. anytime you wanna make a change that big you're gonna have to unlock it. put something under the tail of the floyd to prop it up while down tuning otherwise it's gonna sink and fuck up your action.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Use real strong glue to stick a coin on the wood between the floyds underside block and the piece of wood the springs run over the top of, so the floyd is unable to push that was and only backwards (down)
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

no, seriously don't do that.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Re: Getting locking device for my floyd rose

Post by Aeon »

13steps wrote:I want to install a locking device on my floyd rose tremolo so that I'll be able to play in different tunings than C# (which it's setup for right now).
In your opinion is this a good thing? Will changing strings and that kinda stuff be more difficult? Will it fuck up the intonation? Is it worth the money (it'll cost me about $100)?
Also should I set the tremolo for standard tuning and lock it when I tune down or should i set it for e.g. C# and lock it when tuning up?

You dont have a locking nut on your guitar already?
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

hippy wrote:no, seriously don't do that.

Do.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Aeon wrote:
13steps wrote:I want to install a locking device on my floyd rose tremolo so that I'll be able to play in different tunings than C# (which it's setup for right now).

He's trying to block a floating bridge.
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

dead forever wrote:
Aeon wrote:

He's trying to block a floating bridge.
yeah.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

It's probably worth buying another guitar to save yourself the hassle.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

:tup:
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

croninburg wrote:It's probably worth buying another guitar to save yourself the hassle.
I thought about this but then I realized that I'd have to save up for at least a year. can't wait that long.
Anyways I bought the fucken thing today. only set me back $45 :tup:
thanks for the advices anyway :)
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

If you are that poor, you are probably out of luck anyway.

I think that if you want good results, you should take your guitar to a professional and have it set up properly. This should be done when you first buy a guitar anyway. Tell him to block off the trem and to set it up to the tuning that you'll be using, C#?

If I had zero dollars and absolutely needed to block off my tremolo. I'd steal a a block of wood and cut it so that it fits between the back of the tremolo block and the inside wall of the tremolo block cavity. I would then make adjustments to the block so that the bridge sits parallel to the top of the guitar body.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

once it's blocked adjusting it is as easy as loosening/tightening the springs at the back untill the bridge sits parallel in whatever particular tuning you are using.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

dead forever wrote:once it's blocked adjusting it is as easy as loosening/tightening the springs at the back untill the bridge sits parallel in whatever particular tuning you are using.
I'm pretty sure that's not the recommended method.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I'm pretty sure it is, if you have a blocked trem the only way the strings will pull the trem is upwards, so you need to tighten the springs a little, re tune, check, repeat untill the bridge sits flat.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Then your block will fall out.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

the block will not fall out :roll: If it is secured like it should be then it won't budge. Do you understand the concept of blocking a floyd rose? all you are doing is filling in the part that has been routed that allowed it to pull upwards, preventing it from doing so.
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

SuicideNote wrote:If you are that poor, you are probably out of luck anyway.

I think that if you want good results, you should take your guitar to a professional and have it set up properly. This should be done when you first buy a guitar anyway. Tell him to block off the trem and to set it up to the tuning that you'll be using, C#?
This is what I did... The locking device itself cost $45, he wants 30 bucks for installing it so I figured I better let someone who actually knows what he's doing do it. I told him to set it up for standard tuning (I do however know how to do this by myself 'cause it was I who set it up for C# once upon a time). :tup:
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

My friend (plays guitar with me in a band) blocked the floyd rose on his jackson with a block of wood, it wasn't quite big enough so he wrapped it in newspaper to get it big enough. Just remembered this.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

your friend is retarded. whats the fucking point of the floyd rose if you're going to stop it from doing what its suppost to do?
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

hippy wrote:your friend is retarded. whats the fucking point of the floyd rose if you're going to stop it from doing what its suppost to do?
He doesn't want to block it completely he wants to stop it from floating. Well that's what i gathered ,if he wants to block it completely he IS an idiot. If you want fine tuning screws on a non tremelo bridge just buy a kahler.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

hippy wrote:your friend is retarded. whats the fucking point of the floyd rose if you're going to stop it from doing what its suppost to do?
You're right, he did it becasue he's a retard - it was sitting too high after an increase in string gauge and he didn't know to put more springs on.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

exactly. i'm always right.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

hippy wrote:exactly. i'm always right.
You must be very proud of yourself!
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

i want a floyd rose, same thing that dimebag uses, just it sounds like a bitch to tune up or down, i wanna do dives and squeels and shit but my guitar just goes right out of tune (its only a dive whammy bar)

i usually play in drop d, DADGBE, Standard, or the odd time c#. is it a bitch to change tunings, locking nut and all that shit. ?
you know sometimes i wonder..
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Shred-Dimebag wrote:i want a floyd rose, same thing that dimebag uses, just it sounds like a bitch to tune up or down, i wanna do dives and squeels and shit but my guitar just goes right out of tune (its only a dive whammy bar)

i usually play in drop d, DADGBE, Standard, or the odd time c#. is it a bitch to change tunings, locking nut and all that shit. ?

You need to remove the locking nut, replace it with a special kind of oil, then set your guitar on fire . It sucks.

Actually your just gay.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

dead forever wrote:
Shred-Dimebag wrote:i want a floyd rose, same thing that dimebag uses, just it sounds like a bitch to tune up or down, i wanna do dives and squeels and shit but my guitar just goes right out of tune (its only a dive whammy bar)

You need to remove the locking nut, replace it with a special kind of oil, then set your guitar on fire . It sucks.

Actually your just gay.
hah, i cant afford any better
you know sometimes i wonder..
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

I dont see why so many people have so many floyd problems. I could pull the whole unit out, put it back in, set up, and restrung in 30 minutes.
I think people think that it's a machine that requires a rocket scientist to fix.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

TK wrote:I dont see why so many people have so many floyd problems. I could pull the whole unit out, put it back in, set up, and restrung in 30 minutes.
I think people think that it's a machine that requires a rocket scientist to fix.

me either, its a pretty simple concept. Spring tension vs string tension.
Bronco
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Bronco »

I have a Kramer F-3000, maple neck, the year they stop making them.

The floyd on it is awesome, Yeah when tuning you gotta adjust the tensions and try to keep the top "level" to the face of the guitar and then theres no problems.

But

I mounted a block for the purposes of tuning the "E" to "D" without changing guitars on stage. Worked awesome, couldn't pull up, but never went out of tune, which was the main thing. If I'm not backing up another band I just use 3 guitars for different tunings. Otherwise-One set, one block, one guitar (one backup).

You can easily make the block removable without ruining the guitar with glue. couple small flat head screws, counter sink them in the block. Doesen't fuck up the guitar's sound or anything.
Fuck the Fucking Fucker
The Fuck'n Fucker's Fucked

RIP Dime: Your Guitar Rocked our World