PC recording software

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Fuckall
n0ob

PC recording software

Post by Fuckall »

I know a few of you put together some really good stuff on your home computers, I'd like to try this out but there is a ton of software out there and its fuckin expensive. What do you use and reccomend?
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

N-track Studio. Simple, does everything you'll need it to do & is very reasonably priced. :tup:
Chris
I will fuck you up

Post by Chris »

cubase
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

Windows Sound Recorder, no bullshit, you can do wonder with that thing if you know how to use it right.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
socialparasite
Creampuff

Post by socialparasite »

Cool edit pro 2 not expensive at all. IF you got a good sound card then you pretty much can use anything and it will sound good.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Yeah, CEpro2 is good shit. I have the installer for it :tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

i have cubase, a small cheap mixer, and a new soundcard. only cost me just over $200, and it works wonders.
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Stop now and don't get involved with music recording. Once you get started, it's like a drug, you need newer and more expensive equipment to just make it sound that much better. I feel like a heroin junkie. ugh
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

It's all a matter of personal preference really. I use Steinberg Nuendo.

But either way, get a good audio interface, preferably PCI. Don't try to just use a consumer grade 24/96 Best Buy sound card.
Ezekiel 23:20
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

The Doctor wrote:It's all a matter of personal preference really. I use Steinberg Nuendo.

But either way, get a good audio interface, preferably PCI. Don't try to just use a consumer grade 24/96 Best Buy sound card.
There is little difference in audible quality once you get above 48Khz sample rate and you will kill most computers with 16 tracks playing back at a 96k sample rate. You will however, want to record at 24bit depth. The difference between 16 and 24 bit with regards to audio quality is always incredible.

I have a M-Audio Delta 44 sound card and recording interface. If I bought a new card, I'd probably opt for something with built in preamps for each channel. Also you will want a decent preamp, compressor, and EQ. Not to mention microphones, Shure SM57, the standard for micing guitar cabinents. $$$ I told ya not to get involved.

But you asked about software. Propellerhead's Reason for drums, Adobe Audition 1.5 for tracking instruments/voice, sometimes Sony Sound Forge. You will also want to invest heavily in some quality VST plugins, Waves, etc. Software costs $1000+ for what I have. However you could probably pirate it all.

Recording guitars: save time, money and headache by getting a Line 6 Pod. Check out some of Scrotal_Tug's pod samples, you will agree that you can't get much better with traditional gear.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I agree with this... I record at 44100/96 and compression/EQ plugins can drag out the best of the sound qualities at that rate.

As for cards, I use an M Audio Delta 1010 LT, but I want to get something bigger soon.
Ezekiel 23:20
S
Interloper

Post by S »

studio time isn't that expensive
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

i use Cubase SX, DFH2 and also Other Drum Samples, Waves Platinum Bundle Plug-ins, Amplitube for Bass, JCM900 Guitar Plug-in for Guitars cos i have a shitty amp, and this is all coming out of an onboard soundcard.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

i'm actually taking a class next semester called intro to multi track recording. don't need the class, just the credits, and it should be interesting.
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
michaelrattlehead666
Creampuff

Post by michaelrattlehead666 »

Pro tools is very good, complicated at first, but when u learn it and how it works, u can never go wrong. Alot of badns use pro tools for pre-production
Chris
I will fuck you up

Post by Chris »

michaelrattlehead666 wrote:Alot of badns use pro tools for pre-production

ALOT of bands use pro tools for production, nevermind pre production.