Computer recording Question

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
swanno
Creampuff

Computer recording Question

Post by swanno »

Hi,

I have a question about using as a computer recording device and as a form of output for an electric acoustic guitar. My question is how do you get the signal of the instrument to be recorded as stereo as instrument cables are mono and how do u get the feedback from the computers speakers as stereo instead of mono? Is there a simple piece of hardware i need to buy such as certain instrument cable that has a mono jack at one end and a stereo jack at the other end. Please help!!
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

just no.
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

try Cool edit pro. you'll be able to set your output to stereo or mono. download it from http://www.albinoblacksheep.com or download it off a peer to peer program like Bearshare or Ares. Make sure you get the full version with serial numbers instead of the shitty trial version. Make sure that you can have a direct input from your guitar to the back of your computer. This isn't absolutely necessary, but especially with an acoustic guitar, the sound quality will be far higher with a direct input than a microphone.
swanno
Creampuff

Post by swanno »

I always record line in.

Do you now how to change this setting in Goldwave?
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

no.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

dont go line in when plugging an instrument into your computer, use the mic input.

theres no point in recording a guitar in stereo as its a mono instrument, so its pointless.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
swanno
Creampuff

Post by swanno »

Im pretty sure that using the mic input gives you shitter sound quality
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

no it gives a hotter signal, you just gotta turn the input level down so it doesnt clip.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
S
Interloper

Post by S »

pass the guitar through a 4-track or other such device.. then run the stereo mix-down rca outs into the computer.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

You can pan the guitar to left or right in any decent recording program, if that's what you mean?
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Re: Computer recording Question

Post by Dimebucker »

swanno wrote:Hi,

I have a question about using as a computer recording device and as a form of output for an electric acoustic guitar. My question is how do you get the signal of the instrument to be recorded as stereo as instrument cables are mono and how do u get the feedback from the computers speakers as stereo instead of mono? Is there a simple piece of hardware i need to buy such as certain instrument cable that has a mono jack at one end and a stereo jack at the other end. Please help!!
Just get a mono to stereo cable but I wouldn't use it to record your guitar (although it can be done)

I'm assumin' that your soundcard only has a stereo input right? Dont sweat it, just plug your guitar into the LEFT channel and record it as a mono signal and select MASTER as output in your software, this should give you what you want.

Mono recordings are easier to bounce into a stereo mix because you can pan them easier without causing too much sonic clutter.
swanno
Creampuff

Post by swanno »

i own a creative audigy zs 2 soundcard
S
Interloper

Post by S »

do you play an electric diggereedoo?
swanno
Creampuff

Post by swanno »

just no
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Get an outboard mixer/mic pre and use that. You can get them for about $50. Run an RCA-to-1/8 stereo jack from your mixer to your line-in and you're set.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

Pflöyd wrote:Get an outboard mixer/mic pre and use that. You can get them for about $50. Run an RCA-to-1/8 stereo jack from your mixer to your line-in and you're set.
^this is the best option^, I'm using an M-Audio MobilePre USB, and I dig it a lot, however, you may need to download an ASIO driver that will lower your latency, i use ASIO4ALL...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!