Is 22 too old to start?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Post by CliffandJason-BASS »

iiiii ammmmmmmmm not
Muthafuckin' Wheelbarrow!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Do you even play bass?
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

woah dude! ur at a children of bodom live show!? you must be such a rad dude!
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

back to the obsoletion of record companies. you hear the propoganda "well new bands wont be able to get an adequate budget if people keep downloading songs" when the fact of the matter is albums getting cheaper and cheaper to make. if record companies are so hard up for cash, why is the music market so oversaturated now? hmmmmmm?

with cd sales plummeting, bands will more than be able to make up for it with merchandising, licensing deals, endorsements and sponsorships. of course, to acquire those things, work will have to be done. a musician may even have to thoroughly read a contract! theres so many brain dead people out there who are perpetuating the myth than musicians cannot be self-sufficient, theyre too stupid to handle their own affairs. to some degree that might be true..... if gnr or motley crue had started out nowadays, im sure they wouldve imploded quick without someone to babysit them.
rObsessed!
Metal66
Trendkiller

Post by Metal66 »

I started playing guitar at 23. I'm still not great but it's fun and something else to do. I just bought a bass about a month ago.
[quote="Avulsed"]Some white girl I met in summer school said she got pregnant from a black man so she threw herself down the stairs twice.[/quote]
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Pfl?yd wrote:Do you even play bass?

yes, mr. ??????
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Gnarkiller wrote:woah dude! ur at a children of bodom live show!? you must be such a rad dude!
O' i am! :lol:
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

croninburg wrote:"The Problem With Music" By Steve Albini:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
very interesting article :tup:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Brandon wrote:
CliffandJason-BASS wrote:getting a record deal and such happens more often than winning the jackpot
this is 2007, kid. record deals are NOT practical. a licensing deal, sure. but having a record deal in the 21st century is stupid. DIY will be the way of the 21st century. any musician with a full blown record deal at this day and age is a fool. the record company will take all the money, push them around, and just fuck them over in the end.
What needs to be cleared up here, though, is that you're talking about major labels, not indie ones.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Brandon wrote:back to the obsoletion of record companies. you hear the propoganda "well new bands wont be able to get an adequate budget if people keep downloading songs" when the fact of the matter is albums getting cheaper and cheaper to make. if record companies are so hard up for cash, why is the music market so oversaturated now? hmmmmmm?

with cd sales plummeting, bands will more than be able to make up for it with merchandising, licensing deals, endorsements and sponsorships. of course, to acquire those things, work will have to be done. a musician may even have to thoroughly read a contract! theres so many brain dead people out there who are perpetuating the myth than musicians cannot be self-sufficient, theyre too stupid to handle their own affairs. to some degree that might be true..... if gnr or motley crue had started out nowadays, im sure they wouldve imploded quick without someone to babysit them.
Brandon, I have to applaud you, I agree completely.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Brandon wrote:back to the obsoletion of record companies. you hear the propoganda "well new bands wont be able to get an adequate budget if people keep downloading songs" when the fact of the matter is albums getting cheaper and cheaper to make. if record companies are so hard up for cash, why is the music market so oversaturated now? hmmmmmm?

case in point of a self-sufficient band - Clutch
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

clutch is an excellent role model for young bands. on top of that they are still all original members plus a recently added keyboard player. :tup:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

what other truly independent bands are there?
rObsessed!
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Brandon wrote:what other truly independent bands are there?
Enter Shikari - you will undobtedly HATE this band, but they have done amazingly well for themselves. They basically toured up and down the UK to noone until they started getting consistent turnouts to their shows and therefore guarunteed paymets, made a bit of money and got a lot of kids on their myspace friends list. Their management is one of the members' fathers, they are unsigned in the UK but their album sold something like 40k in the first week. They have a deal with a distribution company in the UK, however I think they signed to Warner Bros in the USA.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

i watched 20 seconds of a youtube video. that band was horrible. according to wikipedia, manowar is self-sufficient also.
he band is also notable for its ownership of their entire operation. Record recording and distribution, as well as merchandise, are all controlled by the band. Singer Eric Adams has said that the reason for this is that the band has received unfair treatment financially in the past, and also to ensure the highest quality production
rObsessed!
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

croninburg wrote:
Brandon wrote:what other truly independent bands are there?
Enter Shikari - you will undobtedly HATE this band, but they have done amazingly well for themselves. They basically toured up and down the UK to noone until they started getting consistent turnouts to their shows and therefore guarunteed paymets, made a bit of money and got a lot of kids on their myspace friends list. Their management is one of the members' fathers, they are unsigned in the UK but their album sold something like 40k in the first week. They have a deal with a distribution company in the UK, however I think they signed to Warner Bros in the USA.
I really like this band :tup:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Really? They're from my home town so I've seen them loads of times. I don't generally listen to them, but they do put on a great show now :tup:
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

enter shikari are awful. i've got take to the skies on my laptop and half of it sounds like kraftwerk are duetting with underoath.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

well, all i gotta' say is; if u ever get frustrated enough to quit and decide to take it to the turntables and be the next DJ dumbshit, don't call yourself a musician.
satan sux my dick
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

UNGODLIKE wrote:well, all i gotta' say is; if u ever get frustrated enough to quit and decide to take it to the turntables and be the next DJ dumbshit, don't call yourself a musician.
agreed
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:well, all i gotta' say is; if u ever get frustrated enough to quit and decide to take it to the turntables and be the next DJ dumbshit, don't call yourself a musician.

Have you operated a set of turntables?
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Pfl?yd wrote:

I wanted to ask that too, even though I'm not all about DJs. :tdown:
Ezekiel 23:20
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

On this guitar forum I used to post on there was a huge argument about whether turntables were an instrument or not. I thought if I brought that same topic up here the argument would be totally one-sided but I guess not.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I don't think turntables are an instrument, personally. I see no talent in remixing someone else's tracks.
Ezekiel 23:20
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Doctor wrote:I don't think turntables are an instrument, personally. I see no talent in remixing someone else's tracks.
It's like anything else, it can be as basic or as elaborate as you like.

A friend of mine who is a good "turntablist" has tracks he puts together pressed to two records and he'll do continuous loops where he brings the record back to the beginning of the loops back and forth on each one while doing other crazy shit. It's certainly much more of a performance skill than a compositional one, but it was a pretty cool way to bring his electronic compositions into a performance medium that offers more than just a guy standing there clicking on his laptop with a strobelight going.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

The Doctor wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

I wanted to ask that too, even though I'm not all about DJs. :tdown:
actually, i have! i stole the spot at a party and all i did was scratch and go "*wizz zippa zippa waka waka*" for like, 10 min and people were down to get down w/it! gimme 2 hrs on that piece of shit to perfect my technique w/out killing the needle and i'd be tha' vinyl masta' :lol:
satan sux my dick
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Gnarkiller wrote:dude get a 5 string bass and start with 5 string sweeps with taps ONLY u will save urself alot of time in the future
well that sure was random
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Brandon wrote:i watched 20 seconds of a youtube video. that band was horrible. according to wikipedia, manowar is self-sufficient also.
he band is also notable for its ownership of their entire operation. Record recording and distribution, as well as merchandise, are all controlled by the band. Singer Eric Adams has said that the reason for this is that the band has received unfair treatment financially in the past, and also to ensure the highest quality production
I just found a great Zappa interview on youtube that relates to this. He was so ahead of his time :tup:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cg ... re=related