Best way to sound proof?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
DrummerChick
Creampuff

Best way to sound proof?

Post by DrummerChick »

I need to sound proof my new practice room, what's the best thing to use that is fairly inexpensive? I want to be able to play at any hour of the night and not bother my neighbors or wake up my son. Any ideas?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

EGG CARTONS :aargh:
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

egg cartons, foam, beer, shotguns to your neighbors heads, etc.
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
ivanlongknob
Creampuff

Post by ivanlongknob »

it wont be cheap to totally soundproof any room as much as you want to, you could do it cheap but it will still be able to be heard within close range.
big foam mattresses would probly be good
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

you need to have a space between the walls and the material you are using to soundproof too.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
strengthbeyondstrength
Far Beyond Driven

Post by strengthbeyondstrength »

I'm not sure how big your practice space is, but definitely try some type foam. You can usually find it in square pieces. Just tag your walls up with that stuff. If that doesn't work you might want to take long4theblur's advice. A shotgun to your neighbors head is a bit unconventional, but somtimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
strengthbeyondstrength
Far Beyond Driven

Post by strengthbeyondstrength »

I meant to put of in between type and foam.
shit
To cool for school

Post by shit »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:EGG CARTONS :aargh:
i sound proofed my bedroom last year with 500 free egg boxes (Y) works a treat. apart from the risk of suffocating from lack of oxegen.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

i just used thick pieces of cardboard all around the room. between the cardboard and the wall i filled with packing peanuts. worked unbelievable well :tup:
Fuck Ole Miss
S
Interloper

Post by S »

buy a whisperroom

Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

You basically pretty much have to make the room air tight.
[quote="Edna Bodine"][quote="Richard The Duke"]What do you do when you take a monster shit and you realize that there is no toilet paper in the bathroom??[/quote]

pick it up and throw it out the window[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

If you can find a corporation that is moving or closing..you could try getting some office partitions,using the material on the walls.Lots of work though with the saw.

I'm going to see if i can find this low cost 4x8 soundproof board that you hang like drywall over your existing wall.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

To get a room soundproofed the way you are talking, the soundproofing has to be taken into account for the room's construction. Egg cartons, mattress foam and the like will "deaden" certain frequencies (like the loud crashing of cymbals) but low frequencies will still carry through vibration. Metallash is right, you have to have space between the wall and the soundproofing materials so as to allow vibrating air to disspate somewhere.

If you want to be able to play all hours of the night, move out into the sticks.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
RE-ED
SAQZAPPER

Post by RE-ED »

I've litterally spent thousands in sound proofing only to be foiled by an un-isolated concrete slab floor, which sonically vibrated 10,000 square feet easily by kick drum alone. The best sound advice (pun intended) is to play where no one cares. If someone is not pissed off by the noise, you're not drumming properly. :pimp:
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

TK wrote:I'm going to see if i can find this low cost 4x8 soundproof board that you hang like drywall over your existing wall.

put it on the ceiling AND the floor as well, cover any non porous surfaces, too, like windows and doors with it as well, it's more of a serious deadening, but not proofing..

true soundproofing almost requires a room built within another room with no contacting surfaces, kind of like suspending one room inside of another, the closest you can come to that with minimum contact, the better...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!
Chaosphere
Creampuff

Post by Chaosphere »

Metallash wrote:you need to have a space between the walls and the material you are using to soundproof too.
thats true sound proofing, anything else is more like sound dampining

and egg cartons suck imo, unless thats all u can get
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity -- Edgar Allan Poe