Floyd Rose maintainence

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Floyd Rose maintainence

Post by croninburg »

I'm going to put some heavier strings on my dime, will i need to make any adjustments to the bridge to stop it from pulling away from the body, and will i need to adjust the action?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Probably both but most likely not the action because the stings will be stiffer and won't flap as much. You'll need to crank those springs down and maybe add 1 or 2 depending on the gauge of your new strings. Make sure the bridge sits parrallel to the body.

If you have never done this before, you should take it to a professional so you don't wreck your axe.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Thanks man :tup:
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

this will end badly :tup:
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

:lol:
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
S
Interloper

Post by S »

licensed floyd rose are a pain in the piece of shit
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

ive had to deal with 2 of those in my guitar career. both were a lot of frustration
Fantomas
Tooth Fairy

Post by Fantomas »

i fucking hate floyd rose :x
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

Fantomas wrote:i fucking hate floyd rose :x
:shock: :shock: :shock:
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
koth
n0ob

Post by koth »

I'm sure he's heart broke about it.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

S wrote:licensed floyd rose are a pain in the piece of shit
Are original units worth the money?
S
Interloper

Post by S »

if they work better than licensed floyd roses, yes
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

All done :tup:
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

warhead dime wrote:ive had to deal with 2 of those in my guitar career. both were a lot of frustration
i meant licensed floyds.

original floyd roses are the shit
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

What's so different about original units? Are they just made better, hold tune better, what?
S
Interloper

Post by S »

yep
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

croninburg wrote:What's so different about original units? Are they just made better, hold tune better, what?
correct. the licensed ones are made of shitty metal that is very weak and dents easy. the saddles arent very strong and often allow the string to slip out of the guitar.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:
croninburg wrote:What's so different about original units? Are they just made better, hold tune better, what?
correct. the licensed ones are made of shitty metal that is very weak and dents easy. the saddles arent very strong and often allow the string to slip out of the guitar.
I agree with that, but I have always felt the Schaller version of the FR was the best liscense FR you could get.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

CFH Eternal wrote:
warhead dime wrote:
I agree with that, but I have always felt the Schaller version of the FR was the best liscense FR you could get.
yeah the schaller floyds and the kahler ones were great.

but the ones that are like "jackson licensed floyd rose" or of the company that made the guitar suck.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:
CFH Eternal wrote:
warhead dime wrote:

but the ones that are like "jackson licensed floyd rose" or of the company that made the guitar suck.
Yeah I don't know why we still sell the crap liscense FR's at where I work because no one evers buys them. Yeah anything Schaller goes quick, and it's funny how yet I like Kahler everyone I work with despises them. :lol:
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

ive never had any experience with them but from what ive heard theyre pretty top notch quality. and i believe that dime used the schaller floyds.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:ive never had any experience with them but from what ive heard theyre pretty top notch quality. and i believe that dime used the schaller floyds.
Yeah all of Dime's FR when he used Washburn were all Schaller. But I have to agree, those motherfuckers stay in tune, the next best thing to the original.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

do you know if he used schallers on his old deans?
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:do you know if he used schallers on his old deans?
Yeah supposedly, I wouldn't be a 100% sure since I got it from the guy at my work who had known Darrell personally for a long time. Yet, he's got the credibility though, he had a picture with him jamming back in '86. Anyway I have always heard Schaller actually made the original FR.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

CFH Eternal wrote:
warhead dime wrote:do you know if he used schallers on his old deans?
Yeah supposedly, I wouldn't be a 100% sure since I got it from the guy at my work who had known Darrell personally for a long time. Yet, he's got the credibility though, he had a picture with him jamming back in '86. Anyway I have always heard Schaller actually made the original FR.
Im putting a schaller on my axe soon, apparently the knife edges are made out of hardened steel,and theyre better than original floyds
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

CFH Eternal wrote:
warhead dime wrote:
CFH Eternal wrote:
warhead dime wrote:

Yeah I don't know why we still sell the crap liscense FR's at where I work because no one evers buys them. Yeah anything Schaller goes quick, and it's funny how yet I like Kahler everyone I work with despises them. :lol:

i played an 80s RR1 with a Kahler and it felt perfect, cause im used to playing a stop-tail, and it felt like a stop tail.
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
crveni
Creampuff

Post by crveni »

Muffin wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
YOu have a lot of pictures !!!

I thought of buying a lincesed gloy rose but here it is lik 160$ :shock:
And it was a shit, and i didn't buy it. But i paid 163$(149$ + 14 shiping)
With help og my friend! I don't know where do you live but i think it isn't no problem for you to buy an orignal!
DEATH TO AMERICA!!! IT SUX !
'Sblood
Vulgar Bastard

Post by 'Sblood »

bump
Hello, thanks for reading my signature. Here you will find useful, sometimes insightful, information regarding popular culture and other current topics of interest. One of the most bombastic certainties in a long god damn time.. YOU know what the fuck
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

i have a floyd rose on my ltd and it keeps fucking up so i havn't even played the thing in months. the strings won't stop lifting away from the body and i have no idea how to fix it. when i tune it, it only lifts farther up and goes out of tune again. :aargh: :aargh:
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
'Sblood
Vulgar Bastard

Post by 'Sblood »

post pics
Hello, thanks for reading my signature. Here you will find useful, sometimes insightful, information regarding popular culture and other current topics of interest. One of the most bombastic certainties in a long god damn time.. YOU know what the fuck
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

BaptizedBurning wrote:i have a floyd rose on my ltd and it keeps fucking up so i havn't even played the thing in months. the strings won't stop lifting away from the body and i have no idea how to fix it. when i tune it, it only lifts farther up and goes out of tune again. :aargh: :aargh:
If its lifting up and not sitting level its because the string tension is higher than the spring tension. Im assuming your a novice, if not sorry for insulting your intelligence. Anyway see the big plastic cover at the back? Not the one covering the wiring, the biggers square one. Take that off. Inside should be your standard claw with 3 springs set up. Tighten the two screws that are on the left hand side. But only tighten them a few turns at a time, then check your floyd, it should be flattening out more. Keep doing this untill its parallell with your body, also like i said make sure you do it slowly. ESP liscenced floyds are notoriously bad, i replaced mine with a schaller :pimp:
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

dead forever wrote:
BaptizedBurning wrote:i have a floyd rose on my ltd and it keeps fucking up so i havn't even played the thing in months. the strings won't stop lifting away from the body and i have no idea how to fix it. when i tune it, it only lifts farther up and goes out of tune again. :aargh: :aargh:
If its lifting up and not sitting level its because the string tension is higher than the spring tension. Im assuming your a novice, if not sorry for insulting your intelligence. Anyway see the big plastic cover at the back? Not the one covering the wiring, the biggers square one. Take that off. Inside should be your standard claw with 3 springs set up. Tighten the two screws that are on the left hand side. But only tighten them a few turns at a time, then check your floyd, it should be flattening out more. Keep doing this untill its parallell with your body, also like i said make sure you do it slowly. ESP liscenced floyds are notoriously bad, i replaced mine with a schaller :pimp:
i've tried that before, tightened the screws as far as they can go. it still won't stay in tune for more than 5 seconds. i'm just gonna sell the damn thing.
abyssspecter
n0ob

Post by abyssspecter »

i have a question too. Recently ive started to notice that hen i pull up on my bar, it gets tighter, then pops, then goes on up. It doesnt damage anything, i dont think, but its a pain. anyway i can fix his, or am i just abusing it too much?
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

BaptizedBurning wrote:
dead forever wrote:
i've tried that before, tightened the screws as far as they can go. it still won't stay in tune for more than 5 seconds. i'm just gonna sell the damn thing.
If youve tightened them as far as they can go then there is NO WAY that your floyd does sit at least level, unless you use real heavy gage strings. For heavy gages add more springs.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

abyssspecter wrote:i have a question too. Recently ive started to notice that hen i pull up on my bar, it gets tighter, then pops, then goes on up. It doesnt damage anything, i dont think, but its a pain. anyway i can fix his, or am i just abusing it too much?

Pops? You mean the whole unit makes a popping noise? Check none of the unit is hanging over the wood and catching it, did you install the floyd yourself? If so you might need to sand the cavity down a bit so its less of a tight fit. My old trems saddle used to slip forward and catch the edge of the cavity when i used the floyd, just tighten the screw if thats whats happening so it dont slip loose.
abyssspecter
n0ob

Post by abyssspecter »

dead forever wrote:
abyssspecter wrote:i have a question too. Recently ive started to notice that hen i pull up on my bar, it gets tighter, then pops, then goes on up. It doesnt damage anything, i dont think, but its a pain. anyway i can fix his, or am i just abusing it too much?

Pops? You mean the whole unit makes a popping noise? Check none of the unit is hanging over the wood and catching it, did you install the floyd yourself? If so you might need to sand the cavity down a bit so its less of a tight fit. My old trems saddle used to slip forward and catch the edge of the cavity when i used the floyd, just tighten the screw if thats whats happening so it dont slip loose.
It doesnt make a noise, its more of a note-skip. No, i didnt install it myself, so, i assume its in right.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

You just said it pops. Make up your fucking mind or elaborate if you want me to help you.
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

dead forever wrote:
BaptizedBurning wrote:
dead forever wrote:
If youve tightened them as far as they can go then there is NO WAY that your floyd does sit at least level, unless you use real heavy gage strings. For heavy gages add more springs.
when the springs are fully tightened, the bridge floats only slightly above the body, maybe 1/8''. yet for some reason, when i try to tune, it will not stay in tune. i end up tightening the strings more and more and the bridge keeps floating farther up. eventually there becomes too much tension on the strings. these are only medium gauge strings and i have 3 springs for the tremolo. i'm done fucking with it, it's a cheap guitar and i have 2 others to play anyway. thanks for the help though.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Its probably just the cheap shit esp make their liscenced trem out of. Like i said try adding a spring (should cost you 10p or some shit) for the sake of it one day and get back to me, kind of intrigued to see why this is happening.
abyssspecter
n0ob

Post by abyssspecter »

dead forever wrote:You just said it pops. Make up your fucking mind or elaborate if you want me to help you.
okay. As i pull up, it tightens untill a certain point, then it jolts a little bit, then continues to climb as i pull up.