Talk amungst yourselves, Ill give you a topic, Bass Gear-

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Talk amungst yourselves, Ill give you a topic, Bass Gear-

Post by Jefferino »

What type of gear do you have? What types of other accessories have your tryed, and either like/dislike-

I have a Warwick Thumb 5 bolt on, Ampeg preamp, crown power amp and a cheap 8x10
Get killed.
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

Nice bass, How does the pre-power setup work for you? Sound good?
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

It actually sounds really good- Its deep and loud, im having problems getting a higher end punch, probably has alot to do with the fact my bass preamp only has 1 AX7 tube- And whats cool, is my power amp has 2 channels, so I hooked up my 2- 15"s to run with my 8x10's OMFG...it definately hits the brown note... :lol:
Get killed.
CoercedCoexistence
Lynch Mob

Post by CoercedCoexistence »

mtd beast4, ampeg svt3-pro head, and ampeg 410hlf cab, pretty fun shit to play with.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

nice!! im a little bit broke to buy a really nice head, but some day soon hopefully....it does the trick for now
Get killed.
goshua
arfweazelx3!!!

Post by goshua »

Grimlock wrote:Nice bass dude
Edna Bodine wrote:The Mayor Rubbing His Penis on Cars in the Mall Parking Lot
Bukkake Tsunami wrote:Happy Birthday let's slam clams you fucking hunk.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

:lol: , i have some type of ibanez which hasnt been played in months.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

I have an older spector model ns2000/4 neckthru. I run that through a peavey combo 115 amp, it's 210 watts and gets the job done I suppose, I've been saving money for a stack. I hear nothing but good things about Ampeg. I was thinking of getting two 4x10 cabs so I could leave one at home and one at the practice pad and just have to transport my head around. Anyone have any information for me as to what Ampeg amps are good, or what bass amps are good in general?
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

hektik wrote:I have an older spector model ns2000/4 neckthru. I run that through a peavey combo 115 amp, it's 210 watts and gets the job done I suppose, I've been saving money for a stack. I hear nothing but good things about Ampeg. I was thinking of getting two 4x10 cabs so I could leave one at home and one at the practice pad and just have to transport my head around. Anyone have any information for me as to what Ampeg amps are good, or what bass amps are good in general?
If your wanting to create a powerful Bass tone you should get a 4x10 Cabinet and a 1x15 Cabinet and use them together, the 15 creates all the rumble and the 10's help it cut through.

If you want Ampeg tone get something from Tech21 called the Sansamp PSA-1, BassDriver or the RBI (i think its called)

http://www.sansamp.com/sansamp_intro.html

The bass driver is just a pedal and DI box you can either hook upto your amp or run it straight through the PA, the other two are rackmount pre-amps that are supposed to emulate the ampeg sound really well, on the PSA-1 you can save your settings like a multi-effects unit, i used it a few nights ago for one of our shows and it sounds amazing especially when using a Spector bass, and will probably be cheaper than buying an Ampeg rig.

oh and i have a Spector Performer 4 Bass, Laney RBW300 Combo, Laney R4H Head.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

hektik wrote:I have an older spector model ns2000/4 neckthru. I run that through a peavey combo 115 amp, it's 210 watts and gets the job done I suppose, I've been saving money for a stack. I hear nothing but good things about Ampeg. I was thinking of getting two 4x10 cabs so I could leave one at home and one at the practice pad and just have to transport my head around. Anyone have any information for me as to what Ampeg amps are good, or what bass amps are good in general?
I actually just saw a badass 4x10 on ebay for like 300 bucks- which is a steal, they retail for about $700ish....anything by ampeg is awesome. But there are many alternatives, there's another company based out of NYC called Aguilar- which in many respects I would put above Ampeg, but they are sooooo fucking expensive, unless your sitting on a huge chunk of change, I wouldn't even bother, Tech 21 is really good, newer Peavy shit is actually competing with the higher end stuff...and obviously Mesa Boogie- Alot of it depends on what type of sound you're trying to achieve, cabinets with a really nice tweeter, tend to get that bright punchy sound....ive also heard many good things about Bartolini pickups...its a never ending quest to get an awesome sound.
Get killed.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Spectors kick ass by the way- Tone of a Warwick without the huge pricetag! Especially neckthru's :|):
Get killed.
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

US Spectors > Any Warwick.

I'm using a Spector Euro 5 and a Fender American Jazz.

I'm saving up for an Alembic Orion at the moment.

Amp wise, I'm using some old Trace Elliot stuff from the early 90's I think, I know nothing of it, Though I'm saving up (more) to buy an Epifani setup.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

My spector is a korean one, unfortunatly. It's treated me well other than the input. It snaps and pops a lot and I can't figure out why, every contact point is good. Just one of those gay things I guess. I'm gonna change out the EMG-HZ pickups and get some active ones. Right now I have passive pickups running off an active EQ, I am sure it'd sound amazing with new pickups.

As for amps and tone, I want to be able to get really punchy mids and twangy highs, and not really rumbling lows, but I want the lows to be a little below the punchiness of the mids. Hard to explain really. I use a little more treble than other bassists use so I get a satisfying clack out of the strings every now and then.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

I had my EMG's upgraded to match the active circuit of my old Korean Spector, it did make quite a considerable difference, but nothing major to be honest, of course, my tonal taste differs from yours.

I sold it eventually and got a Czech/Euro Spector, and it's a million times better
:tup:
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

I've only played a Spector once- and I liked them alot, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're better than Warwicks, definately equal to, but not better....
Get killed.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

Jefferino wrote:I've only played a Spector once- and I liked them alot, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're better than Warwicks, definately equal to, but not better....
i dont like warwicks, the spector has a nice tone that can cut through in a mix which is what warwicks lack cos ive found they can be a bit muddy.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

Jefferino wrote:I've only played a Spector once- and I liked them alot, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're better than Warwicks, definately equal to, but not better....
I believe Warwick owes most of it's body designs to Spector and the Ned Steinberger body design.
Warwicks are amazing basses (Thumb & Infinity are my faves), but US Spectors absolutely decimate Warwicks in my opinion, but again, different tonal tastes..