I'm learning sweeps and they're being a bitch...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Sam
Mouth For War

I'm learning sweeps and they're being a bitch...

Post by Sam »

...any advice to get 'em sounding perfect at a really high speed? I use the metronome and practice with it turning the bpm's up and up...but it's not helping. Maybe I don't practice them enough...but for the sweepers here, what do you have to say?
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

What happened to DeathSion? He ruled at sweeps. And Sam, if you don't find any help here, register at http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/index.php? and ask about sweeps in the guitar section.
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

i really need somone to show me how to sweep because reading about how to do them is no help atall.
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

take it slow and practice.. that's the key. :tup:
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

don't force the pick just let it hit the strings. i think thats what helped me the most but i think your learning shit too fast.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

don't force it sam just keep trying. it took me a while to gain any real dexterity wiht my sweeps and i still have trouple on the upstrokes so consistancy is the key
Individual Thought Patterns
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Shit loads of practice is the key to learning any musical technique. Do it slowly untill it's easy. then go faster. etc.
Fantomas
Tooth Fairy

Post by Fantomas »

you just learned scales a week ago and now you want to try and master sweeps? slow down dude
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

thats what i said
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

Did Wrona write that?

The actual lesson is pretty good. I need to learn how to do this.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

it will take tons and tons and tons and tons of practice and repetition.

and you move up BPM's when you have that certain bpm down COMPLETELY clean and to tempo
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

I can sweep 3 strings, 4 strings at a push sometimes... but not very well. I need to practice them alot.
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

when you start feeling that you're getting good at sweeping, check out necrophagist and you'll feel like a beginner again.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

RandomRussianDude wrote:when you start feeling that you're getting good at sweeping, check out necrophagist and you'll feel like a beginner again.
:tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Here's where I'm at so far...am I even making them sound right? Click here
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Sam, that's not awful, but here's what you need to do.

1.Slow down. Take it back about 15 or 20 bpm.
2.Turn off your distortion. Distortion covers up fuckups. Make sure you can play it FLAWLESSLY clean before you crank up the gain.
3.Make sure your picking hand isn't being forced up and down. Make the motion fluid (this goes back to getting it perfect at a slow bpm). The faster you go, the more you tend to "force" a sweep.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Dude, can you sweep? You sound like you know how to. Thanks.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

i heard your clip. your main problem is that you are not muting/taking your finger off the strings at the right time so that the sweep sounds clean(but this just takes practice). your second mistake is that when you are going back up, you dont mute the D A E strings and that makes it sound mashed up while you are going back up on the sweep. and your third mistake is that when you are going back up, you tend to jack up and play the notes faster on your way back. another mistake bro, when you played that sweep pattern the first 2, or 3 times that was faster, you werent actually playing the notes on the 3rd and 2nd string ( really common mistake on beginner sweepers). so you really have to take them slow right now, you dont want to play them at the speed that you played them at the begenning becuase you skip notes. another thing i suggest is that you play that pattern up and down the fretboard, it wont seem as monotonous and youll get a feel around your fretboard faster. but good thing is it sounds like you are picking them right, a common error is that some guys dont know how to pick the first string so they start alt picking on their way back up.
i might post some stuff to help you out, but iv only got my comp mic lol. hope i helped bro.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

You helped a ton man. Fucking awesome. Thanks a gazillion, I'll post progress soon!
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

Start with 3 string arpeggios, then work your way into bigger ones. like everyone else says, alot of practice, and working on clarity.