Vox 847A wah pedal

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Vox 847A wah pedal

Post by warhead dime »

So I just picked one of these bad boys up, complete with its own complementary jockstrap.

Apparently it's their new version of the 848 Clyde McCoy series made popular by Hendrix and Clapton, the only modern feature being it has an adaptor jack now.

Pros: nice range. Amazing clean wah. It sounded like the wah sound in Marvin Gaye's band (ie "Lets Get it On", that sleazy wet wah just molesting your inner ear), which was that soulful/wet sound I wanted for myself. The tone is a lot more horn-like and funky. Lots of detail in each specific frequency range, allowed for nice overtones. Thing sounds interesting played not just in a standard style, but also going from treble to bass sharply with a slow upward release gives your guitar a trippy almost synth sound. I found it a blast to experiment with.

Cons: the cons almost make me want to return it. With higher volumes its a noisy ass piece of shit. I guess Vox's new Chinese manufacturing and cost cutbacks didn't allow for the addition of true bypass. I'm gonna have to do this myself or have it done for me, but it isn't much more than desoldering and resoldering a few wires (I will post a link to a mod/bypass DIY site I found for it and other models). The lack of true bypass sucks the shit right out from your amp's anus. When not engaged, your guitar loses a great deal of brilliance and power, very deflated sounding. True bypass is a must...

Other than that, this wah can't be modded... easily at least. Which is kind of a bummer considering that the main warm spot area on the wah shifts over from bass/mid to treble incredible tightly, so you need to be extra sensitive in this area with your foot. Underneath the plate you'll find this:

These components are way too small, so taking out the (unnecessary) buffer stage on this thing pretty much isn't happening, and you're basically stuck with what you've got. The only thing you can easily mod on it is the frequency range/sweep, by shifting the internal pot a couple notches back on the toothed bar that moves the pot when you rock the wah back and forth.

Summary: this thing has no bells or whistles, is barely modifiable, the sweep isn't evenly balanced acrossed the range, and kind of just a dead end. However, for my style, I found the wah to be extremely expressive and colorful, and keep finding new ways to use it that don't just sound like some stock "wah-wah" rocknroll-I wanna be the next Eric Clapton- sound. Once I get it true bypassed, I'm sure I will love this thing even more than I do now, as it won't effect my amp's tone, and will be far less noisy. For a lot of the metal players here, this probably won't work for you. High-gain, this thing doesn't seem to be very responsive or dramatic. For clean and slightly gritty/dirty tones, it shimmers and shines, and allows for tons of room for dynamics.

Here's the link to the Vox mod: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/voxnew.htm
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Interesting, I should probably post a review up of my Catalinbread SCOD.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]