Anybody experience with drilling out cracks in cymbals?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Anybody experience with drilling out cracks in cymbals?

Post by cottonmouth »

I found a crack in my hi-hat, I really really hate it when that happens. Anyway, I'm probably gonna let it be and hope for the best, but in the back of my head I'm considering drilling it out.

Has anybody ever done this? How great is the risk the drilling will only cause more cracks? Does it influence the sound much? (im expecting that if its done well the sound doesnt change at all). Did you use a 'normal' drill or do I need something with extra power?

If the crack is so deep you can't drill it out in one go, what do you do? Do you do a lot of drills next to each other (leaving edges of course, what do you with them, flatting it out with some other tool?)

Like I said, I'll probably just let it be and hope for the best, but if I see the thing is getting bigger I might just try it.
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

Where is the crack? If it's on the edge drilling won't help. Only thing you can do is reset your clutch so that edge faces away.

If it's in the surface area, drill a small hole (use a bit about the size of a matchstick) about 1/8" from either end of the crack. A regular drill will work fine. Drilling won't affect the sound any more than the crack does. If you let it go it will most likely get worse, and because you hit the hats a lot more than other cymbals it'll probably happen pretty fast.

Love too often is only a dream
If I am harsh and unkind to myself
So I share these attitudes with you
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

Cool, thanks. It is on the edge though :( I already made it face away, hoping it won't get totally fucked.
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

Well that's not so bad, the circular type are a lot worse. It'll be a long time before you'll need a new one as long as you don't hit that part. I've heard of someone who cut out a broken edge with metal shears but I wouldn't want to try that myself.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Oh I'm experienced in drilling cracks all right
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

There's no reason hi-hat cymbals should ever crack unless A.) you're using them incorrectly or B.) they're entry-level no-name brand. Never even heard of this, actually. Do you use the pedal in your playing? How hard do you hit? If it's a recurring problem, experiment with different heights and angles. Thick crashes and splash cymbals have always been the only culprits in my experience. But then I turn around and use them as bullshit chinas anyway, so they still have a use.
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

By the way, have no fear when drilling or cutting pieces from cymbals, just remember that you'll create a sound from that piece that no one else can duplicate. Fuck keeping cymbals in pristine condition.
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

cymbals are worth more melted down and raw
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

long4theblur wrote:Oh I'm experienced in drilling cracks all right
:lol:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

:lol:
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

Cheyenne fucking Buffet wrote:There's no reason hi-hat cymbals should ever crack unless A.) you're using them incorrectly or B.) they're entry-level no-name brand. Never even heard of this, actually. Do you use the pedal in your playing? How hard do you hit? If it's a recurring problem, experiment with different heights and angles. Thick crashes and splash cymbals have always been the only culprits in my experience. But then I turn around and use them as bullshit chinas anyway, so they still have a use.
I cracked a top Paiste sound edge Rude series hi-hat cymbal. Shit happens. I must have been playing it incorrectly though(whatever that means.) Because your obviously some drum guro, and thats what your informative post says the problem must be.

Carry on :hektik:
Last edited by drummer_goat on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

I don't think my playing style is that wrong, this is the first time I've had a cracked cymbal in about 6 years I think.

The fucked thing is that my top hi-hat keeps spinning around, so making it face away only works to an extent. I'll don't think I can escape replacing it.
Once I'll do that I'll probably drill out the edge crack anyway just to see what happens, see with my own eyes that it has no use as I keep hearing.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

you should be using one of these
duh
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

drummer_goat wrote:Because your obviously some drum guro
Goro*
Bert
Lynch Mob

Post by Bert »

cottonmouth wrote:I don't think my playing style is that wrong, this is the first time I've had a cracked cymbal in about 6 years I think.

The fucked thing is that my top hi-hat keeps spinning around, so making it face away only works to an extent. I'll don't think I can escape replacing it.
Once I'll do that I'll probably drill out the edge crack anyway just to see what happens, see with my own eyes that it has no use as I keep hearing.
Stop being a :jew: and spend some money.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I've never cracked a cymbal myself but can see from how some people set up their cymbals how it could happen, like setting them up so the stick hits them from a directly perpendicular angle. I bet if some of these guys used slow-motion video of what the cymbal looked like as it was struck, they'd change some things.

I can't imagine cracking a hi-hat, though. You must really be wailing on the thing.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

cottonmouth wrote:I don't think my playing style is that wrong, this is the first time I've had a cracked cymbal in about 6 years I think.

Thats what happens when theres a crack in a cymbal for some strange reason of physics the crack always seems to come back the the place of impact. Drilling a hole will prolong the life but when the crack spreads it will often change direction or have a splintering effect when it returns. It is better than nothing but you will have to replace the cymbal at some later time. If you do care more for the cymbal than the sound, theres always duct tape.
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

Cheyenne fucking Buffet wrote:
Goro*
or maybe it guru. Still wondering how you play a hi-hat wrong. You can get back to me later though.
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

Goro*
That would rule!
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

Pfl?yd wrote:I've never cracked a cymbal myself but can see from how some people set up their cymbals how it could happen, like setting them up so the stick hits them from a directly perpendicular angle. I bet if some of these guys used slow-motion video of what the cymbal looked like as it was struck, they'd change some things.

I can't imagine cracking a hi-hat, though. You must really be wailing on the thing.
a musician should never put durablity>sound in my opinion. I used to try to get the most durable heads and tune them to last and set my crash cymbals so I would never hit the edge with the shoulder of the stick. But reality struck and it just didn't make any sense to keep playing with that attitude. I also switched from zildjian to Paiste. Fuck zildjan they aren't hand hammered, they crack easily, and they sound like poop.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

drummer_goat wrote:a musician should never put durablity>sound in my opinion.
What do you play, 80s arena rock? You don't need to make a choice between the two if you play with any semblance of dynamics.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

drummer_goat wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:I've never cracked a cymbal myself but can see from how some people set up their cymbals how it could happen, like setting them up so the stick hits them from a directly perpendicular angle. I bet if some of these guys used slow-motion video of what the cymbal looked like as it was struck, they'd change some things.

a musician should never put durablity>sound in my opinion. I used to try to get the most durable heads and tune them to last and set my crash cymbals so I would never hit the edge with the shoulder of the stick. But reality struck and it just didn't make any sense to keep playing with that attitude. I also switched from zildjian to Paiste. Fuck zildjan they aren't hand hammered, they crack easily, and they sound like poop.
Personally, I've given up on acoustic drums altogether. With compression values the way they are on recordings nowadays, my electronic kit passes unnoticed as such on recordings and I have way more sounds (and a lot less issues) overall anyway.

Hooray for technology. :tup:
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

If you had a cutting torch with a welding tip or access to one you could braze the crack and not have to worry about it anymore.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

drummer_goat wrote:a musician should never put durablity>sound in my opinion.
What do you play, 80s arena rock? You don't need to make a choice between the two if you play with any semblance of dynamics.
Hit a nerve did I? The concept of tone being more important than durability has nothing to do with dynamics. Furthermore dynamics can be portrayed in different ways than just volume. Texture(the thickening and thinning) and feel also can be classified as dynamics in music. Dynamics in playing as you use the term depend on the style of music being played. A good drummer will focus on playing at a consistent volume when playing a style of music that is supposed to be "in your face" like rock, or metal, but the same drummer playing latin, jazz and some funk would use more "dynamic" range because the style of music calls for it. Regardless of use of dynamics, it is still my opinion that tone of a drum/cymbal is more important than the durability. Now why don't you go back to your proper hi-hat playing like a good kid.
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

Pfl?yd wrote:
drummer_goat wrote:

Personally, I've given up on acoustic drums altogether. With compression values the way they are on recordings nowadays, my electronic kit passes unnoticed as such on recordings and I have way more sounds (and a lot less issues) overall anyway.

High end electronic kits are quite nice sounding. They just don't feel the same.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

drummer_goat wrote:The concept of tone being more important than durability has nothing to do with dynamics.
It does when you crack hi-hats... especially those in a line renowned for their fucking durability, guy. Now I know it's difficult for you to surrender the last word when you've carved yourself a niche by way of username, but just try.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Now why don't you go back to your proper hi-hat playing like a good kid.
My hi-hat technique's pretty good. How's yours?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

drummer_goat wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
drummer_goat wrote:

High end electronic kits are quite nice sounding. They just don't feel the same.
I have an advantage because not being a drummer primarily I'm less concerned with "feel" as I am "function". When a drummer who has been playing drums non-stop for years sits down at my kit, he fucking hates it--especially the hard-hitter guys. For me, though, I've played electronic kits longer than acoustic ones and when I sit down at someone else's acoustic kit I feel the same way they do on mine. Everything bounces less and I have to lay into stuff to get sound out of it.

I liken it to the difference between someone who learned to play guitar on an electric as opposed to an acoustic.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've had the same set of strings on my bass for the past 8 years because I have proper string technique.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

BassPhemy wrote:I've had the same set of strings on my bass for the past 8 years because I have proper string technique.
You haven't owned that bass for eight years! :x
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Dog years.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Hailblaze
Welfare Abuser

Post by Hailblaze »

Skyblack seems to know a lot about instruments and maintenance... Very helpful. Me personally id just play it till it broke and then buy another one. 6 years is a long time for such a minor replacement.
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

Now why don't you go back to your proper hi-hat playing like a good kid.
My hi-hat technique's pretty good. How's yours?
Is this some dirty trick to make me look like one of those people who need to get the last word in?
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

AoD wrote:you should be using one of these
duh
Drop-locks suck. And that clutch won't stop the hats from spinning. This will though

Image :tup:
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

yeah one of those things, guh!
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

That was very clever, but just in case he thought you were actually trying to be helpful by recommending a clutch that would keep the hats from spinning...
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

yeah i dont know anything about drums, or brands or anything. those things seem usefull though
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

Oh ok. Yeah, clutches are useful for a hi-hat. Thanks bro.
Last edited by Sky Black on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Sky Black wrote:Oh ok. Yeah, clutches are useful for a hi-hat. Thanks bro.
Condoms are useful for your whore-hat.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

Lipitor is useful to your wife's ability to remain alive.