Bill Steer and Michael Amott

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Bill Steer and Michael Amott

Post by Aeon »

Can someone tell me what they used to record on Heartwork? Their tone sounds amazing.
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

Marshall Jubilee heads, Marshall Micro-stacks (yeah, i know, weird), and Marshall Guv'nor distortion pedals, at least Bill Steer's setup was like that
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Thanks ese, I have not seen their pickups, would you happen to know what they used?
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

i remember they used Ibanez guitars, not sure of the pickups, but for some reason either a Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio Super Distortion come to mind, seems like i remember...I had an old guitar magazine that interviewed Steer after Heartwork came out, and he would play both amps simultaneously and they were individually mic'd, and the Guv'nor was plugged into either both or just the Jubilee amp...
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I know Mike was using a LP custom...
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

http://web.archive.org/web/200203180558 ... inter.html

94 guitar world article, I knew they used 5150's.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Thank you all. :)
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

CARCASS! :x
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

carcass was frikkin sweet
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

CFH Eternal wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/200203180558 ... inter.html

GW: What gear and settings do you guys use to get your tone?
Steer: Just for simplicity, I only use one amp live--a Peavy 5150 with a Marshall Guv'nor pedal in front of it to beef up the overdrive just that little bit extra. In the studio, though, it's a different matter; I use several different amps--a selection of Marshalls and the 5150.
Hickey: One of the amps Bill used on Heartwork was a Marshall 30th Anniversary head that's really fierce, and he also used a tiny Marshall stack on pretty much every track to add some extra high end.
[Note: Mike didn't join Carcass until after the Heartwork album was recorded.]
Steer: Yeah, if I remember correctly, almost all of the guitar tracks were done with at least two amps going at once--one of them being a large amp, like the Anniversary [on channel two], a Marshall SL-X 100 watt or the 5150, and then also more often than not, my 10-watt [Marshall] Valvestate micro-stack for extra texture.
Unlike a lot of other bands who do the kind of stuff that we do, we tend to use a lot of mids. I don't think some people realize how important middle is to a guitar sound.
Hickey: Absolutely, mids are essential in a solo--without 'em your tone is real thin. My current backline setup is a Marshall SL-X 100-watt head and a Peavey 5150. I suck the mids out of the Marshall but not out the Peavey. I started the Heartwork world tour using a Guv'nor pedal too, but I just got tired of stage divers stepping on my shit!
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Chris
I will fuck you up

Post by Chris »

Ben wrote:

Steer: Just for simplicity, I only use one amp live--a Peavy 5150 with a Marshall Guv'nor pedal in front of it to beef up the overdrive just that little bit extra. In the studio, though, it's a different matter; I use several different amps--a selection of Marshalls and the 5150.
Hickey: One of the amps Bill used on Heartwork was a Marshall 30th Anniversary head that's really fierce, and he also used a tiny Marshall stack on pretty much every track to add some extra high end.
[Note: Mike didn't join Carcass until after the Heartwork album was recorded.]

what the fuck are they talking about?

edit: nevermind, thought they were talking about mike amott
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Ben wrote:

Hickey: One of the amps Bill used on Heartwork was a Marshall 30th Anniversary head that's really fierce, and he also used a tiny Marshall stack on pretty much every track to add some extra high end.[Note: Mike didn't join Carcass until after the Heartwork album was recorded.]
Steer: Yeah, if I remember correctly, almost all of the guitar tracks were done with at least two amps going at once--one of them being a large amp, like the Anniversary [on channel two], a Marshall SL-X 100 watt or the 5150, and then also more often than not, my 10-watt [Marshall] Valvestate micro-stack for extra texture. Unlike a lot of other bands who do the kind of stuff that we do, we tend to use a lot of mids. I don't think some people realize how important middle is to a guitar sound.
Hickey: Absolutely, mids are essential in a solo--without 'em your tone is real thin. My current backline setup is a Marshall SL-X 100-watt head and a Peavey 5150. I suck the mids out of the Marshall but not out the Peavey. I started the Heartwork world tour using a Guv'nor pedal too, but I just got tired of stage divers stepping on my shit!
the 30th Anniversary model IS the Jubilee, for those who didn't know...I forgot all about the 5150, but i knew the Jubilee, the Guv'nor, and the Micro-stack were all involved
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

^^^Yep. I was clarifying for the guy who argued that they only used 5150s. :tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]