Which recording software do you use?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Which recording software do you use?

Post by EvilisthenewGood »

and what does it allow you to do?

I'm just getting into recording and need a program that has a drum machine alright built into it and is fairly easy to use/ reasonably priced.

What would you suggest?
Talk to me on AIM -theworstpostrevr

Never trust a man who can spell a word only one way.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i use cool edit pro but i don't record anything with good production. i do very little to alter the tracks after i record them, aside for playing around with the eq and maybe adding a couple of effects (if only to mask mistakes i have made.) it is very easy to use and i don't have patience for programs which offer far more editing options, so it's perfect for me.

if i ever need drums, i'll program them using guitar pro and transfer the file into cool edit pro.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

Cubase, but I am going to be getting one of those new Apple desktops specifically for recording my music, and will probably get Pro-Tools for it.

If you're new to the whole thing use something like cool edit pro so you can learn the basics while you're fucking around. When you get good and serious with it invest in a more expensive program and learn it well. I've actually gotten jobs recording people and mixing their albums/songs on my computer at home. It's a useful skill. Even tough home recording is easy as fuck, people still are too lazy to learn it. Job security. :tup:

If I need a drum machine I always use Leafdrums. I have been using it for several years and no one has ever been able to tell the difference between my drum machine tracks and tracks I recorded with a real drum set. It took me a few years to get to that point though. I use hundreds of tracks (one for each possible volume for each drum/cymbal). Changing the dynamics makes it sound real, but it can take a while to do a whole song. You can, however, just make a few tracks and make basic beats for your own songs.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

yea, I use pre-tools when I record my demo's.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

mixcraft
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Logic Pro owns everything.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

i'd go with cool edit pro like others have said. i wouldnt recommend leaf drums though, but drums from hell. they're easily the best drum machine i've ever come across, and instead of using hundreds of tracks like LOTW has, it has built in "humanize" options and shit like that
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Pfl?yd wrote:Logic Pro owns everything.
I made the ridiculous mistake of updating my copy of logic. Now it wants me to reenter the serial number.. i got the first one from google :x

I just recorded some jommin with garageband :tup: :tdown:
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Lord of This World wrote:Cubase, but I am going to be getting one of those new Apple desktops specifically for recording my music, and will probably get Pro-Tools for it.

If you're new to the whole thing use something like cool edit pro so you can learn the basics while you're fucking around. When you get good and serious with it invest in a more expensive program and learn it well. I've actually gotten jobs recording people and mixing their albums/songs on my computer at home. It's a useful skill. Even tough home recording is easy as fuck, people still are too lazy to learn it. Job security. :tup:

If I need a drum machine I always use Leafdrums. I have been using it for several years and no one has ever been able to tell the difference between my drum machine tracks and tracks I recorded with a real drum set. It took me a few years to get to that point though. I use hundreds of tracks (one for each possible volume for each drum/cymbal). Changing the dynamics makes it sound real, but it can take a while to do a whole song. You can, however, just make a few tracks and make basic beats for your own songs.
How difficult is this to use? it sounds like I have to look for .wav files and then cut out the specific drum sound I like and piece stuff together like that. Is this correct? If so, how hard is that to do?

I was thinking it would be easier to have a point and click type method. Where it shows me a picture of a drum kit and i click the different drums, cymbals, etc. to make the beat. Have you any experience with those types of softwares? If so how hard are those to use?

Also, for recording guitar and vocals you suggest that cool edit pro program? How hard is that to use? I'm guessing it doesn't come with a drum/ beat machine so I'll have to import the beats into the program?

I'm a total noob at all this and appreciate any help. Thanks a bunch. :tup:
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Acid Flashbakc wrote:i'd go with cool edit pro like others have said. i wouldnt recommend leaf drums though, but drums from hell. they're easily the best drum machine i've ever come across, and instead of using hundreds of tracks like LOTW has, it has built in "humanize" options and shit like that
It sounds like I have to be an extreme metal musician to do this... I mostly play suicidal folk rock. I just need something that goes "dum dum dosh" and sometimes "dumdumdumdumdumdum dat doooooooosh".
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

I'm thinking of getting the Cakewalk Music Creator program with the instrument add on for drums. Right around 100 bucks for both.
Richard The Duke
Lynch Mob

Post by Richard The Duke »

I use windows sound recorder. You can record up to a minute of quality music bro! Learning to use the software may be quite hard, but with practice you'll be able to figure it out. It's just as easy as spanish once you get the hang of it!
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] my father is coming[/quote]
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Richard The Duke wrote:I use windows sound recorder. You can record up to a minute of quality music bro! Learning to use the software may be quite hard, but with practice you'll be able to figure it out. It's just as easy as spanish once you get the hang of it!
:no: :zzz:
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

Richard The Duke wrote:I use windows sound recorder. You can record up to a minute of quality music bro! Learning to use the software may be quite hard, but with practice you'll be able to figure it out. It's just as easy as spanish once you get the hang of it!
i think this really is rich ward we're talking to here :shock:
satan sux my dick
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

EvilisthenewGood wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Cakewalk Music Creator program with the instrument add on for drums. Right around 100 bucks for both.
or you could download them for free.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

EvilisthenewGood wrote:
Lord of This World wrote:Cubase, but I am going to be getting one of those new Apple desktops specifically for recording my music, and will probably get Pro-Tools for it.

How difficult is this to use? it sounds like I have to look for .wav files and then cut out the specific drum sound I like and piece stuff together like that. Is this correct? If so, how hard is that to do?

I was thinking it would be easier to have a point and click type method. Where it shows me a picture of a drum kit and i click the different drums, cymbals, etc. to make the beat. Have you any experience with those types of softwares? If so how hard are those to use?

Also, for recording guitar and vocals you suggest that cool edit pro program? How hard is that to use? I'm guessing it doesn't come with a drum/ beat machine so I'll have to import the beats into the program?

I'm a total noob at all this and appreciate any help. Thanks a bunch. :tup:
Fuck, I'm too lazy to answer your questions right now. I'll get around to it soon though, I promise. :lol:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

cool edit is very easy to use, i would recomend it to anyone just wanting to mess around. the sound quality sucks because your sound card sucks, the only way around that is to spend hundreds of dollars on hardware. i now use pro-tools with an mbox. you can get them relatively cheap on ebay. i dont really like pro-tools, but i do like the m-box. if that makes any sense...
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

for simple drums, get fruity loops. you are very limited as soon as you try to get technical with weird timings and shit, but it sounds like ti would work for you.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

cubase.. hopefully getting cubase 5 soon..
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

DBS wrote:
EvilisthenewGood wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Cakewalk Music Creator program with the instrument add on for drums. Right around 100 bucks for both.
or you could download them for free.
I downloaded the cakewalk studio instruments... and can't really figure out the program. I'm checking out this "beatcraft" software. And will look at fruity loops.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

fruity loops is okay for drums, very easy interface
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Hopefully I will be able to import the songs i record into whichever drum program I use and make beats to my songs.

I really am a total noob at this....
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

BabyKiller wrote:cubase.. hopefully getting cubase 5 soon..
I've recently been having a problem with Cubase. For some reason I can't export audio files anymore. :x

Any insight into this?
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

Lord of This World wrote:
BabyKiller wrote:cubase.. hopefully getting cubase 5 soon..
I've recently been having a problem with Cubase. For some reason I can't export audio files anymore. :x

Any insight into this?
What version is it? I know I had to reinstall le4 because I couldn't export to wma.
I know they have a 30 day "free trial" for mp3 export. After that, you have to pay something like 20 bucks for the plugin.
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."