Looking to buy a new Amp. recommendations...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

every time i turn off the amp, for a few minutes after i can hear this ticking/trickling noise. reminds of a fridge. is that just the tubes cooling down?
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H, With footswitch, out the door for less than $300 USD, wicked high gain, decent cleans, great metal sound for cheap, it has a fuller sound than most amps in the sub $500 range that I played...

I have owned higher end amps as well, but to say this would compete with those would be a hair far fetched, but for it's price range, this thing is awesome...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

Dawdy wrote:every time i turn off the amp, for a few minutes after i can hear this ticking/trickling noise. reminds of a fridge. is that just the tubes cooling down?
anybody?
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

prolly metal cooling down or someshit like that, i never heard anything like that but it shouldn't be much of a problem.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

it doesnt happen a whole lot. i usually hear it once or twice when i turn the amp on and i have it on standby waiting for it to warm up. and then it does it maybe 3 or 4 times after i turn the amp off. you can hear it in the back, sounds like hitting two beer bottles together. but very slightly
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

DBS wrote:
Dawdy wrote:
DBS wrote:
Dawdy wrote:
DBS wrote:hk was suggesting the valveking combo. i have the half-stack and would recommend it :tup:
hey im looking for a good starting point here. i could play around with all the settings for an hour. gimme your settings! more importantly, the texture dial on the back. i dont really understand the tube shit
i don't know what you're looking for, but it took me a long time to find a tone i was happy with. and because i play lots of different styles i end up changing my settings almost daily. if you play metal, the crunch that you get out of the amp will change depending on how loud the amp is. i know this might seem obvious but with the valveking it seemed particularly evident. the louder you go, the crisper the crunch.
im just going for a metal sound. more specifically, just regular shit like metallica. whats your opinion on the texture setting? do you just leave yours full blast?
i have it set to about 7 o clock. i also found that even if you have a really basic 'metal' set-up on the eq (high gain / bass / treble, low mids) the presence and resonance settings can be employed to drastically alter the kind of tone you want. fucking with those alone will give you plenty of options.
i was just reading this and i didn't mean 7 o clock (that would be completely off) but 7 / 10 which is about 2 o clock.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

I have the same head as DBS, the Valveking, and it's fucking great. Just get it :tup:
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

Dawdy wrote:every time i turn off the amp, for a few minutes after i can hear this ticking/trickling noise. reminds of a fridge. is that just the tubes cooling down?
Pour two cups of cold water over the tubes after jamming. That will fix it.
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

5axisOfEvil wrote:
Pour two cups of cold water over the tubes after jamming. That will fix it.
i found a better way, i stick my penis in your ear
hello
Creampuff

Post by hello »

are there any pedals I should look into if I'm thinking of trying out the whole pedal/bass amp combination? I have a Japanese 70's bass amp under the name 'acetone' which my uncle gave me.

kinda looking for a thick tone with ample bass and nice breakup. A 'screaming distortion' is definately not what I'm looking for.

with that said, would such a rig result in the bassist and guitarist having to fight for sonic space?