Guitar Playing Question

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
dantera
Creampuff

Guitar Playing Question

Post by dantera »

This may be a dumb question but for bands, Metallica is a good example that have a primarily rythem player, Hetfield, and lead, Hammett, what does one do when the other is playing. I am mainly talking about when Hetfield is playing a riff and Hammett is not soloing. Does he play the same riff as James or does he go along with what the bass is playing or does he do other shit. I've seen videos and it really only sounds like one guitar riff is going but I can see James and Kirk both playing something and sometimes i don't know what the hell they are doing. ANyone know?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

wow
wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

:lol: :lol: what an idiot.
Panterian420
Creampuff

Post by Panterian420 »

I could call you an idiot like these other morons, but intsead I'll actually attempt to help you out.

On the albums (the old ones anyway, not so sure about Load or that other shit they're putting out these days), Kirk doesn't do a damn thing while James plays the rhythms, he exclusively plays the leads. Live they'll both play the rhythm parts and Kirk will break off to play the leads. As far as I know anyway, if anyone knows differently, by all means, step in and correct me.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

wal wrote::lol: :lol: what an idiot.
:lol: :lol: archive!
dantera
Creampuff

Post by dantera »

wat i said may have sounded dumb i guess, but i think its valid. Obviosly some times, james is the only one playing, but on a lot of the early thrash stuff , ive seen videos of both playing when their is no solonig or lead lick goin on and im wondering what kirk is doing.
Panterian420
Creampuff

Post by Panterian420 »

Pretending not to be useless.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

kirk is a fag
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Holy Fuck @ This thread :lol:
ImaginaryEntity
Show Me Your Tits

Post by ImaginaryEntity »

This isn't the Metallica board. Go there, fuckhead.
Zivi
BOOM headshot!

Post by Zivi »

:lll:
I assume Kirk's getting a blowjob from some Metallica fans when not soloing. :lol:
Panterachat get your metal pestilence. Arbuckle hospital. Iron from 1920s. Aheels. Seals hockey. Evan lysacek personal life. Bbb certified at home ...
michaelrattlehead666
Creampuff

Post by michaelrattlehead666 »

During Recording The Older Metallica Albums, The Rhythm parts are recorded by both Kirk and James at the same time. Then when the solo's and leads are to be played Kirk will do wot is called 'Overdubbing', which means he will record the leads over the rhythm, but u can still hear the rhythm that they ercorded. Live, kirk will break off into the lead, and will play rhythm wen he's not playin lead.
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

michaelrattlehead666 wrote:During Recording The Older Metallica Albums, The Rhythm parts are recorded by both Kirk and James at the same time.
No.
CobraGT508 88 (4:32:07 AM): on a scale of 1-10, how tall is a goat with credit card eyes?
rebelextravagant (4:32:15 AM): 27%
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

dantera wrote:wat i said may have sounded dumb i guess, but i think its valid. Obviosly some times, james is the only one playing, but on a lot of the early thrash stuff , ive seen videos of both playing when their is no solonig or lead lick goin on and im wondering what kirk is doing.
well, he would be useless live if he just sat there doing nothing until his solos came in, plus they need a second rhythm player since James did a lot of double tracking and harmonies back in the day...plus, it would look ridiculous...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!
WarPig
Vulgar Bastard

Post by WarPig »

Dimejandro wrote:kirk is a fag
:lol: :tup: :lol: :roll:
this is a budwieser true moment man.
[quote="Razorkill999"]go play on a fuckin harmonica.[/quote][quote="Edna Bodine"]not an insult.[/quote]
nick8012
Creampuff

Post by nick8012 »

Dimejandro wrote:kirk is a fag

your the fag
metal up your ass!!!
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

dantera wrote:wat i said may have sounded dumb i guess, but i think its valid. Obviosly some times, james is the only one playing, but on a lot of the early thrash stuff , ive seen videos of both playing when their is no solonig or lead lick goin on and im wondering what kirk is doing.
Got Spellcheck?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]