Shecter

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Shecter

Post by Big Ben »

I know Shecters are high quality guitars, but what I want to know is are the less expensive models also superb?

This:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=513104

Is what I'm looking to get, it's fairly cheap I guess, but I was wondering if any of you could attest to the quality/feel of a cheaper Shecter and how well it stands up to the $1,000 ones.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

I want a Schecter bass :(
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I was seriously eyeballing this bad boy until I saw that it only had one pickup :tdown:

BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

i'll take a cheapo schecter over a cheapo ibanez/jackson anyday of the week
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

I kinda thought 7 strings went out with Korn.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

you know korn wasnt the first band to use sevens, right?
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:you know korn wasnt the first band to use sevens, right?
No, seriously? I thought they were luthiers that stumbled across that seventh string.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:
No, seriously? I thought they were luthiers that stumbled across that seventh string.
ok buddy keep making that association. you know how many other bands used sevens along with korn? do you know how many guitarists used sevens in the 80's? keep thinking korn had a trend with them.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
ok buddy keep making that association. you know how many other bands used sevens along with korn? do you know how many guitarists used sevens in the 80's? keep thinking korn started a trend with them.
Despite the fact that they didn't get popular or were overly mass produced until Korn hit it big. :lol:
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
ok buddy keep making that association. you know how many other bands used sevens along with korn? do you know how many guitarists used sevens in the 80's? keep thinking korn started a trend with them.
Despite the fact that they didn't get popular or were overly mass produced until Korn hit it big. :lol:
i actually think they were more popular with the shredders in the 80's playing them.. i actually have only seen 7's in stores like GC/sam ash in the past 6-7 years
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
i actually think they were more popular with the shredders in the 80's playing them.. i actually have only seen 7's in stores like GC/sam ash in the past 6-7 years
:lol:
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

he's probably right, jj.

and schecters are great guitars :tup:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

DBS wrote:he's probably right, jj.

and schecters are great guitars :tup:
No, he isn't.
You didn't see the 7 string guitar explode until the detuned korn days hit us.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

From what I noticed looking at high end to mid shecters is what type of wood being used for the body, binding and pickups...these (except binding) would be huge contributing factors to sound and tone. I would suggest you play one before you buy.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

long4theblur wrote:I was seriously eyeballing this bad boy until I saw that it only had one pickup :tdown:

do you really use the other pickups?

I would buy a guitar with one pick up, I never use the neck pick up.

Also, id imagine that damien 7 plays pretty well for the price.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

also its spelt Schecter, I always forget the "ch" and just put a "h" aswell.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Motorhead wrote:I want a Schecter bass :(
I love mine! They sound great.

Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

I have that Damien 7, it's a pretty good guitar for the price. Personally these days I don't get too much use out of it, but that's mostly due to the fact that I've fallen in love with the Tele I got last year thats been my main guitar. 7s are cool to fool around on though, you can come up with some cool chord voicings.

But yeah, definitely a quality guitar if you are going the 7 string route.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

What tele do you have?
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I have the C-7 Blackjack and 2+ years later I still love playing it every time I pick it up.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

:aargh: :aargh:

Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
:lol:
yes because steve vai's signature ibanez universe model from 89 was used by dream theater morbid angel and korn. korn on the other hand influenced who, adema to use sevens?
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

I never said they weren't made stupid. Just that they didn't explode until korn hit it big.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

dbs did you put that trem in?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:I never said they weren't made stupid. Just that they didn't explode until korn hit it big.
i know what you said. and they exploded in the 80's, with all of the shredders. not the one band that used them in the nineties. shut up jj.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

No they didn't.
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

I got into seven strings from bands like Nevermore and Carcass (I know they don't use 7's)
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:I never said they weren't made stupid. Just that they didn't explode until korn hit it big.
i know what you said. and they exploded in the 80's, with all of the shredders. not the one band that used them in the nineties. shut up jj.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_string_guitar

"In the early 1990s, several other heavy metal guitarists began using seven-string instruments (notably John Petrucci of Dream Theater and Trey Azagthoth and Erik Rutan of Morbid Angel), seeing the possibility for detuned riffing while preserving the full upper range of the guitar for solos. However, the seven-string guitar failed to really catch on at this phase in its development, and the Universe model was discontinued briefly in 1995.

The seven-string guitar became prominent when Korn featured Ibanez Universe guitars on their 1994 debut album. Capitalizing on the massive low end produced by the 7th string (typically a low B). This period marked the highwater point in the popularity of the seven-string guitar, as many manufacturers jumped on the seven string bandwagon that they had previously steered clear of including such "traditional" brands as Fender subsidiary Squier and Gibson subsidiary Epiphone, and manufacturers who had been producing sevens expanded their offerings."

In your face biatch.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

jesus christ JJ name some bands that copied korn and used 7 strings. dont give me some bullshit online-anyone can edit-cyclopedia, give me some actual evidence that you know shit anything.

edit: actually, don't jj.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I don't think JJ's claiming Korn was a huge inspiration to anyone there, guy. I think he's just saying they were sold more on a mass scale when they hit it big. Why is that touching such a nerve with you, is it so hard to believe?
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

slay wrote:
long4theblur wrote:I was seriously eyeballing this bad boy until I saw that it only had one pickup :tdown:

do you really use the other pickups?
Yes.
BREATH HOLD!

Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

DBS wrote::aargh: :aargh:

DUDE put your guitar down fucking Tom morello. I know you dont do super wide stretches or anything
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:

I like that one :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Motorhead wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

You can pick up this model for like $500 now. :aargh:
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

long4theblur wrote:I don't think JJ's claiming Korn was a huge inspiration to anyone there, guy. I think he's just saying they were sold more on a mass scale when they hit it big. Why is that touching such a nerve with you, is it so hard to believe?
its called debating something. thats what people do on messageboards.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
long4theblur wrote:I don't think JJ's claiming Korn was a huge inspiration to anyone there, guy. I think he's just saying they were sold more on a mass scale when they hit it big. Why is that touching such a nerve with you, is it so hard to believe?
Well I still think you're failing to understand what he's trying to say.
BREATH HOLD!

Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

long4theblur wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
no i get what he's saying. and to a degree i agree that korn did make many a kid know about seven strings. what I'm saying is that there were more made before korn, and they were more popular. it's really just arguing opinions
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Motorhead wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

You can pick up this model for like $500 now. :aargh:
Not bad, I saw a used one for around that price a few months ago.

I should get it
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
long4theblur wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
no i get what he's saying. and to a degree i agree that korn did make many a kid know about seven strings. what I'm saying is that there were more made before korn, and they were more popular. it's really just arguing opinions
But they weren't more popular, and JJ's posted information to back up his claims. So it's not really a clash of opinions.
BREATH HOLD!

JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

long4theblur wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
long4theblur wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
But they weren't more popular, and JJ's posted information to back up his claims. So it's not really a clash of opinions.
Exactly, and if they were more popular before then, why were the universe's discontinued in 1995 due to poor sales?
I'm not saying Korn made them or anything else, or that they didn't exist before Korn. All I am saying is that they exploded after Korn. Which not only do I just remember from living back then and being a guitar player, but is also backed up by sources such as I cited.