I'm thinking about have a custom relic bass made...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

I'm thinking about have a custom relic bass made...

Post by PABassPlayer »

There are a few companies that do these, like Nash, Bill Rowe, K-line and Axetreme Creations.

Does anyone know of any other companies I can look into, or any good or bad feedback?
So far, the best est. I got was $1600.00 (1500.00, and 100.00 for the 2 finishes)

What I'm thinking is a relic 59 P-bass and after some research, I found out that in 59 fender gave all their basses a three tone burst finish. If some called and wanted a custom color (I'm thinking olympic white) they would just shoot it over top the 3 tone finish. As they wore, the 3 tone would show though the white, and the white would "antique" to an off white.
The 59 also had a "c shaped" thick neck and stainless jumbo frets.
Kind of like this...

But relic'd and aged like this...(but the burst would show through)

Also, while I'm a huge fan of maple fretboards, the 59 was not offered with it, so I would get the rosewood with clay dots.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

If you were paying to have it made just for you, why wouldn't you get the actual fretboard you wanted?

EDIT: I think relic guitars look cool, but paying to have someone sand it and hit it with a chain and go leave a few parts out in the rain doesn't warrant the huge hike in price.
Last edited by JesseJames on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I'm trying to keep it as authentic for the year as possible.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Cool. :tup:
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

That looks a lot like the SX basses actually. Except those are mad cheap.

I wish I had never gotten rid of my Ibanez Ergodyne
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Motorhead wrote:That looks a lot like the SX basses actually. Except those are mad cheap.

Your comments, opinions and knowledge really have no place in this thread. You wouldn't know a quality instrument if I bashed you over the skull with it.

SX? are you retarded?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Motorhead wrote:That looks a lot like the SX basses actually. Except those are mad cheap.

Your comments, opinions and knowledge really have no place in this thread. You wouldn't know a quality instrument if I bashed you over the skull with it.

SX? are you retarded?
:lol:
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

JesseJames wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

SX? are you retarded?
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

whats up with that chrome piece? some sort of hand rest?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

yea thats a thumb rest thing...

i never understood why people did the "relic" thing. its like paying for a guitar that looks like it got fucked up. i dunno i like wearing in my own jeans i guess. :?
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

If you want to make it relic'd, just drop your car keys on the body from a distance.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

PABassPlayer wrote:

SX? are you retarded?
No because I never played :roll:

I said it LOOKS LIKE an SX you fat bastard. I wasn't comparing quality.

Jesus christ people here get fucking dumber by the day
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

you are seriously a moron.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

JesseJames wrote:you are seriously a moron.
Not. I compared the look of a bass to a particular SX I had seen recently. I was never comparing the quality, I know how low-end the SX basses are.

But you just had to respond huh? How do you live when I don't post? Christ :lol:

Either way, shut up JJ and stop following me around.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Now that your stupid tirade is done with. Ask yourself which came first, the SX bass or the fender.
After that realize which one really in fact looks like the other.
Stupid.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

JesseJames wrote:Now that your stupid tirade is done with. Ask yourself which came first, the SX bass or the fender.
After that realize which one really in fact looks like the other.
Stupid.
That's not even fucking relevant :lll:
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Yeah, because you didn't compare it to an SX bass or anything.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

about this relic thing, I personally would never pay for a bass that looks like it has been neglected.

The first one looks nice though
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

slay wrote:about this relic thing, I personally would never pay for a bass that looks like it has been neglected.

That's what I was saying, I don't really care for a beat up looking guitar.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

JesseJames wrote:
slay wrote:about this relic thing, I personally would never pay for a bass that looks like it has been neglected.

That's what I was saying, I don't really care for a beat up looking guitar.
agreed :tup:
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

JesseJames wrote:Yeah, because you didn't compare it to an SX bass or anything.
What do you not get? Seriously, you're too stubborn or too stupid....I can't figure it out.

It LOOKS like an SX I was looking at. Jesus tittyfucking christ, you and PABasstardo are like peas in a pod.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Motorhead wrote:
What do you not get? Seriously, you're too stubborn or too stupid....I can't figure it out.

It LOOKS like an SX I was looking at. Jesus tittyfucking christ, you and PABasstardo are like peas in a pod.
Fender has been making the P & J basses since 1951.
I'm going to try something different Motorhead, rather than criticize, I will attempt to educate. Here is the history of the Fender Precision (or "P") bass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Precision_Bass

As far as why you would want "the relic" look...it's just a look or "charactor" that shows the nostalgic look of what most '59's would look like now. My other options would be play my current P basses for 20 years untill they wear like that or buy a '59 for between 15K to 60K, and while I make a decent living, I'm not willing to shell out that kind of $$$.

I own 4 pristine fender bases (2 p's and 2 j's) and now I want to add a relic to the collection.

I am curious to what Pfloyds opinion is on this. Btw, Pfloyd, thanks for the advice, I am playing the song to a "T" now.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Motorhead wrote:

Sorry, I have to say this.
I was getting a Toys R Us gift card the other day for a a kids birthday party my kid is going to. While milling about the store I saw they sell SX guitars and basses....so my question to you is, where exactly do you shop for your musical gear?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Motorhead wrote:

I was getting a Toys R Us gift card the other day for a a kids birthday party my kid is going to. While milling about the store I saw they sell SX guitars and basses....so my question to you is, where exactly do you shop for your musical gear?
Daddy's Junky Music, Guitar Center and a few other local places.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Motorhead wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
Motorhead wrote:

DJM and Guitar Center are only about a 1/4 step above Toys R Us...hate to say. Both stores cater to beginner to medium musicians. They place 10 to 15 quality (over priced) guitars amongst countless pieces of shit and get the occasional numb nuts with more money than talent to buy a high end PRS, US Strat or an actual Jackson Custom shop. As far as high end basses, the only quality they sell is/was Warwick, which I heard they soon won't be carrying anymore. Out of the 4 GC's I've been to in the Philly/Jersey area, not one carried an American made Fender bass, but had racks and racks of Mexicans and a few Jap. I won't even get into the mindless failed musicians that they employ that have about as much knowledge about the instruments as......well,.......you do Motorhead.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Motorhead wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
Motorhead wrote:

DJM and Guitar Center are only about a 1/4 step above Toys R Us...hate to say. Both stores cater to beginner to medium musicians. They place 10 to 15 quality (over priced) guitars amongst countless pieces of shit and get the occasional numb nuts with more money than talent to buy a high end PRS, US Strat or an actual Jackson Custom shop. As far as high end basses, the only quality they sell is/was Warwick, which I heard they soon won't be carrying anymore. Out of the 4 GC's I've been to in the Philly/Jersey area, not one carried an American made Fender bass, but had racks and racks of Mexicans and a few Jap. I won't even get into the mindless failed musicians that they employ that have about as much knowledge about the instruments as......well,.......you do Motorhead.
Wow....just wow. :lol: This is too funny.

you're basically trying to say I'm saying I'm an expert musician, which I've never said. I do know what quality instruments are, I've had to look through many, at many, many different stores.

Not to mention you just assumed those are the only two places I know. Ever heard of local stores or the internet? There's a high end store near me that sells American fender's, Jap fenders, Rickenbackers, etc. etc.

So get off your high horse, stop assuming what I'm saying and move on. All because I said it LOOKED like an SX I saw. You're senile.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

No, you're stupid because you said it looks like an sx, not vice versa. not to mention, when someone is talking about getting a high end model you compare it to a bargain basement cheapie guitar.
It's like if someone asked if they should get a certain PRS and I said "wow that looks like a hondo guitar"
I know you probably do get this, and understand how you're wrong. But I also realize you think that if you keep with your original dumb statement that you think we all look dumb in relation for one of your many reasons, you didn't mean it, we didn't understand it, etc.... and it just isn't true.
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

I really never equated American made or higher priced instruments to higher quality. I've played Squire Strats that play and sound just as good as any $700+ plus guitars I've played. I really liked every MIM Tele I tried before landing on my Highway 1. That being said... from what I've seen of "SX" guitars/basses, they may be an exception. :lol:

On topic with this thread, I love the look of relics... wouldn't pay extra for it to be a bit beat up, but I think a few dents and the general "worn in" look give the guitar character.

Also, this Motorhead bullshit needs to stay out of the musicians forum.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I think the Japanese Fenders are basically on par with the American models. You can get mexican ones that stand up to either, but not many because the quality control isn't so good. I'm pretty sure that they're all made with more or less the same parts anyway..
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

I'm dumb and im not reading the thread. I've always seen those metal coverings over the strings, what are they used for.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

bling nigger
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

Hunter/Killer wrote:I'm dumb and im not reading the thread. I've always seen those metal coverings over the strings, what are they used for.
apparently a thumb/hand rest.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

JesseJames wrote:No, you're stupid because you said it looks like an sx, not vice versa. not to mention, when someone is talking about getting a high end model you compare it to a bargain basement cheapie guitar.
It's like if someone asked if they should get a certain PRS and I said "wow that looks like a hondo guitar"
I know you probably do get this, and understand how you're wrong. But I also realize you think that if you keep with your original dumb statement that you think we all look dumb in relation for one of your many reasons, you didn't mean it, we didn't understand it, etc.... and it just isn't true.
You're the biggest fucking retard. You're arguing goddamn semantics, saying that looks like an SX I saw isn't any different than saying the SX looks like it. I'm making a comparison on LOOK, not which came first nor the quality.

Does anyone believe this guy? No one can be this stupid.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Three Second Doom wrote:I really never equated American made or higher priced instruments to higher quality. I've played Squire Strats that play and sound just as good as any $700+ plus guitars I've played. I really liked every MIM Tele I tried before landing on my Highway 1. That being said... from what I've seen of "SX" guitars/basses, they may be an exception. :lol:

Motorhead needs to stay out of the musicians forum.
Fixed...

I've bought one Jap Fender (the Geddy Lee Jazz Signature) and I have to say it didn't come close to my US Jazz in feel, sound or quality. I also bought a $250.00 ESP LTD Les paul bass for a home practice piece and have found that I like it alot, I'd probably play out with it. So yeah, some of the lower end basses are ok, but there is a definate difference in the US made ones.

On a side note: I have owned a jackson kelly bass and 2 gibson basses (one was a $1800.00 Tjhunderbird) and I flipped them all within 2 weeks. Horrible.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Three Second Doom wrote:I really never equated American made or higher priced instruments to higher quality. I've played Squire Strats that play and sound just as good as any $700+ plus guitars I've played. I really liked every MIM Tele I tried before landing on my Highway 1. That being said... from what I've seen of "SX" guitars/basses, they may be an exception. :lol:

Motorhead needs to stay out of the musicians forum.
Fixed...

I've bought one Jap Fender (the Geddy Lee Jazz Signature) and I have to say it didn't come close to my US Jazz in feel, sound or quality. I also bought a $250.00 ESP LTD Les paul bass for a home practice piece and have found that I like it alot, I'd probably play out with it. So yeah, some of the lower end basses are ok, but there is a definate difference in the US made ones.

On a side note: I have owned a jackson kelly bass and 2 gibson basses (one was a $1800.00 Tjhunderbird) and I flipped them all within 2 weeks. Horrible.
As someone who enjoys playing music on a variety of instruments, I think I'll stay in this forum.

Not everyone needs 2,000 dollar bases guy. You went off for no reason on that one, I was just comparing how it LOOKS. Doesn't matter which came first, and I know the quality difference, it wasn't ever about that.

I mean SX's cost 100 fucking dollars :lol: So you need to relax, stop starting shit over nothing and deal with me being here!
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Motorhead wrote:As someone who enjoys playing music on a variety of instruments
Such as?
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

long4theblur wrote:
Such as?
Keyboard/Piano, Guitar, Bass and I own a couple woodwinds!
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Motorhead wrote:
long4theblur wrote:
Such as?
I have no doubt you are a concert skin floutist.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

JesseJames wrote:
Motorhead wrote:
long4theblur wrote:
Such as?
I have no doubt you are a concert skin floutist.
:tup:
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »