Mic stand

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
long4theblur
King

Mic stand

Post by long4theblur »

I currently have a sE Reflexion Filter on my mic stand, which vastly improves vox:

However, I have to put two dumbell weights on the bottom of the stand to keep it from falling over, and even then, it leans. I have a pretty basic stand, nothing fancy but nothing totally shitty, either.

Will switching to a tripod stand fix this, or is there anything else I can do/buy?

Also, recommend me good shock mounts for a large diaphram condenser mic. My shitty one broke. :tdown:
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

holy shit thats one gangster nagger mic
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Well that's not my mic, that's the filter I'm talking about though. I just stole that off musiciansfriend.com to show you what I was talking about. :tup:
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I'd use a heavy-duty cymbal stand, like a ride stand with a counter weight. You don't want a condenser mic so much as fidgeting during the recording.

By the way, that think looks pretty cool, does it essentially work at making a condenser a unidirectional mic or are there actual sonic enhancements from that?
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

It's more a directional thing, but if you don't have this, get it. Just take into account that it's a heavy sumbitch, and will make your mic stand top heavy. You'll thank me later. :tup:
BREATH HOLD!

croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

You could also use a cardboard box filled with cotton wool or egg cartons :tup:
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I'm trying NOT to go with a ghetto-rigged version. As I said, I've already got a set of dumbbell weights balancing it out right now.
BREATH HOLD!

croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Is it a straight stand?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

long4theblur wrote:I'm trying NOT to go with a ghetto-rigged version. As I said, I've already got a set of dumbbell weights balancing it out right now.
Hey, don't knock ghetto-rigged techniques, I've heard (and even made) some awesome recordings with ghetto shit just because necessity (and poverty) is the mother of invention!
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Pfl?yd wrote:
long4theblur wrote:I'm trying NOT to go with a ghetto-rigged version. As I said, I've already got a set of dumbbell weights balancing it out right now.
Hey, don't knock ghetto-rigged techniques, I've heard (and even made) some awesome recordings with ghetto shit just because necessity (and poverty) is the mother of invention!
You ever have a puppy that runs around and knocks over said ghetto-rigged stands, because their nature is very delicate? :fur:
BREATH HOLD!

Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

You can't sing, wtf do you need a mic for
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Motorhead wrote:You can't sing, wtf do you need a mic for
What else am I going to use to record my bowel movements?
BREATH HOLD!

basstard
Creampuff

Post by basstard »

check hercules stands