metal soloing

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
dantera
Creampuff

metal soloing

Post by dantera »

ive been a blues guitarist my whole life and i want to start playing some more metal but i find myself doing blues soloing with distortion. how do i make it sound more metal.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

play it faster
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

Mess around with you ionian, dorian, phrygian, lyidan, mixolydian, aeolian(minor), locrain and some others.
dantera
Creampuff

Post by dantera »

yea, true. What scales does like Dime and the dude from shadow's fall use?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

find what you like, don't sound like other people.
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

learn all your scales(all three forms), the modes, and get those fingers movin and you should be good. :tup:
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Take lessons from a teacher into metal.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

dantera wrote:yea, true. What scales does like Dime and the dude from shadow's fall use?
Dime played whatever the fuck he wanted. He was influenced by a lot of blues stuff but he knew none of the modes. He just made up his own shit. A lot of the solos do sound dischordant when they're played slow. The guy from Shadows fall sucks and they are a faggot band. You can't go wrong with the minor scale. Use that. Now.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

i dont understand whaty you mean by making a solo sound more "metal". but what I can suggest is get to know your major and minor scales, and arpeggios, and fuck around with them in the key your playing in.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Use chromatics and "passing tones" (notes that are not in the scale you're soloing in). :tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Sheldon
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Sheldon »

[i]If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit![/i]

Jackson/Charvel Whore
wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

use your brain.
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

DBS wrote:
dantera wrote:yea, true. What scales does like Dime and the dude from shadow's fall use?
The guy from Shadows fall sucks and they are a faggot band. You can't go wrong with the minor scale.
you're a fucking idiot.

anyways, if you're picking hand and technique aren't developed, then i suggest working on that(think tremelo and sweep picking)
Individual Thought Patterns
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

Pantera420 wrote:
DBS wrote:
The guy from Shadows fall sucks and they are a faggot band. You can't go wrong with the minor scale.
you're a fucking genius.

anyways, if you're picking hand and technique aren't developed, then i suggest working on that(think tremelo and sweep picking)
i agree
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

The fact you like that faggot unoriginal band stops me from listenuing to anything you have to say. Your opinion is void.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Soloist
Creampuff

Post by Soloist »

hippy wrote:Mess around with you ionian, dorian, phrygian, lyidan, mixolydian, aeolian(minor), locrain and some others.
you could have just said "mess around with modes" instead of trying to sound smart and type all that out :)

Metal soloing isn't always about speed. Learn the minor scale and harmonic minor scale, these 2 are the most common scales in metal. After you learn them, put on some songs or backing tracks and jam along..
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

Sheldon wrote:Image
I was actually thinking about checking that book out....is it any good?
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
Soloist
Creampuff

Post by Soloist »

Muffin wrote:
Sheldon wrote:Image
I was actually thinking about checking that book out....is it any good?
one of the best, if not, the best metal instruction book there is. Actually, in this guys case he should check out the other Stetina books, the heavy metal soloing ones (forgot what they were called). I used to have them and they give some creative ideas on how to solo in metal, good backing tracks too. If you're pretty advanced technique-wise, get vol. 2
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

DBS wrote:
Dime played whatever the fuck he wanted. He was influenced by a lot of blues stuff but he knew none of the modes. He just made up his own shit. A lot of the solos do sound dischordant when they're played slow. The guy from Shadows fall sucks and they are a faggot band. You can't go wrong with the minor scale. Use that. Now.
there are 3 different types of minor scales though, a lot of soloist especially rock/metal and jazz soloist use harmonic minor. But all of them are good just to mix it up :tup:
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

M.I.A wrote:
DBS wrote:
there are 3 different types of minor scales though, a lot of soloist especially rock/metal and jazz soloist use harmonic minor. But all of them are good just to mix it up :tup:
meh i'd say they use the harmonic as much as they do the natural and melodic.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Soloist
Creampuff

Post by Soloist »

melodic minor is rarely used.. in any genre
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

Soloist wrote:
hippy wrote:Mess around with you ionian, dorian, phrygian, lyidan, mixolydian, aeolian(minor), locrain and some others.
you could have just said "mess around with modes" instead of trying to sound smart and type all that out :)

Metal soloing isn't always about speed. Learn the minor scale and harmonic minor scale, these 2 are the most common scales in metal. After you learn them, put on some songs or backing tracks and jam along..
i prefer those modes actually. moron.
Soloist
Creampuff

Post by Soloist »

hippy wrote:
Soloist wrote:

i prefer those modes actually. moron.
those are the only modes. moron.

any other mode is a variation of those modes i.e dorian #2. moron.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

HA!
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Go faster.