Stupid Questions

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
FBS
Slack Cunt

Stupid Questions

Post by FBS »

Couple of questions only a female would ask because I'm not musically-inclined in the slightest.

Anyone who listens to Thorns knows they have a really distinct guitar sound - what is that exactly? Don't say guitar. :roll:

I've never heard another band sound quite like it.

In Neurosis' "A Sun That Never Sets", what's that whistling, for lack of a better way to describe, sound at the beginning?

I'm just curious.
ImaginaryEntity
Show Me Your Tits

Post by ImaginaryEntity »

Guitar.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

I don't know any of those songs, but if you send them to me im sure I can tell ya.
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

My AIM is rebelextravagant, I'll send them now if you want.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

FBS wrote:My AIM is rebelextravagant, I'll send them now if you want.
User rebelextravagant is not available.
:(
scorn
ok
Location: i haven't been here in almost a year. stay off my account niggers.

Post by scorn »

he plugs a couple of pre-amps straight into the soundboard. solid state pre-amps. so instead having having a microphone pointing at a speaker cabinet, he basically plugs his guitar into a distortion pedal, and plugs that into the recording device.
SicKitten81: I didn't do anything to Jason except turn down the stereo when I was trying to sleep after an abortion. so he beat up on me
heavymetalsoldier666: When I was a baby my mother had to special order certain shoes.
scorn
ok

Post by scorn »

and the sound from that neurosis sound is just a sample played through a synth. i'm not sure where the original sound came from.
SicKitten81: I didn't do anything to Jason except turn down the stereo when I was trying to sleep after an abortion. so he beat up on me
heavymetalsoldier666: When I was a baby my mother had to special order certain shoes.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Scorn already said what I was going to speculate.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

That guy from "Police Academy" does whatever you're talking about.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

Thank you scornmuffin. :)

So, do any other bands do that? I love how it sounds, you'd think more would do it, even if only for a couple of songs.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

i dont know if some bands do it all that way some use DI boxes or direct injenction and that goes right to the mixer so the engineer can make it sound like whatever.
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

I was also wondering what exactly grind is. What's the difference between death and deathgrind, musically? I know er, Anal Cunt and Cephalic Carnage (off the top of my head here) are considered grind but musically I don't know what sets them apart from other death metal bands, apart from the obvious, of course.

But yeah, what makes a band deathgrind and not just death?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I think grind has more of an industrial influence while death is closer to heavy metal.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

FBS wrote:I was also wondering what exactly grind is. What's the difference between death and deathgrind, musically? I know er, Anal Cunt and Cephalic Carnage (off the top of my head here) are considered grind but musically I don't know what sets them apart from other death metal bands, apart from the obvious, of course.

Death usually has longer songs, 3-5 minutes. Grind usually has 1-3 minute songs.
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

didn't rebel extravaganza essentially rip off Thorns' tone?
polarity, not duality

Post by Guest »

From what I understand, grindcore is like a mixture of death metal and hardcore punk, so it has a punk feel that usually isn't present in normal death metal. I think a lot of bands that people consider grindcore don't really sound like that.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

aeon wrote:
FBS wrote:I was also wondering what exactly grind is. What's the difference between death and deathgrind, musically? I know er, Anal Cunt and Cephalic Carnage (off the top of my head here) are considered grind but musically I don't know what sets them apart from other death metal bands, apart from the obvious, of course.

Death usually has longer songs, 3-5 minutes. Grind usually has 1-3 minute songs.
time has nothing to do with if it being grindcore or not, but normally grind is way shorter.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
ATR v1.2
ATRLRIGHT!!!

Post by ATR v1.2 »

FBS wrote:Thank you scornmuffin. :)

So, do any other bands do that? I love how it sounds, you'd think more would do it, even if only for a couple of songs.
another example of a DI sound is all of the bass and guitar tones you hear on type o records.
The smell of mutton and onions no man could ask for more, We were chug-luggin' Dominion when a Mountie walked in the door.
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

Dominate wrote:didn't rebel extravaganza essentially rip off Thorns' tone?
what?
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Grind is more punk influenced, normally far less pretentious, and generally goes for a raw feel on album whereas death metal is (usually) significantly more technical, quite often very pretentious/obsessed with image, and usually has a clearer production on album.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

FBS wrote:
what?
When I hear rebel extravaganza, I'm inclined to think that Satyr was heavily influenced by the cold, mechanistic feel of Thorns. The guitar tones may not be exactly the same, but to my ears the detahched feel is there, especially with the vocals.
polarity, not duality
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

Dominate wrote:
FBS wrote:
what?
When I hear rebel extravaganza, I'm inclined to think that Satyr was heavily influenced by the cold, mechanistic feel of Thorns. The guitar tones may not be exactly the same, but to my ears the detahched feel is there, especially with the vocals.
Funny you mention that, because Snorre was a sound engineer on that album. :roll:

As for the vocals sounding similar, Satyr did the vocals on "Thorns" and it was released on Satyr's label.
FBS
Slack Cunt

Post by FBS »

..and he was co-producer. :tup:
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

Sorry I don't make a point to read liner notes.
polarity, not duality
scorn
ok

Post by scorn »

he also plays on 'a moment of clarity.' i think he contributed some other riffs as well. however, it's also true that satyr took a lot of inspiration from snorre/thorns at that point in time, which ultimately culminated in them working together.