bad habits

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
slay
kingsly

bad habits

Post by slay »

im sure we all have some.. mine is not using my pinky when i should be.. my pinky's stamina sucks :( must practice more

you guys?
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Same. I only use it when I play chords.
Ezekiel 23:20
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

I only use pinky when I need to. for stretches and half-step, whole-step shit below 12th fret.

otherwise it seems pointless to me.

bad habits of mine would just be sloppyness and lack of styles (not style)
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i pick my asshole
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
washburnML
I will fuck you up

Post by washburnML »

overuse of pinch harmonics.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Playing with my thumb over the neck when I don't need to.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

washburnML wrote:overuse of pinch harmonics.

zacky be wyldes... im guilty of this aswell
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

washburnML wrote:overuse of pinch harmonics.
Pfl?yd wrote:Playing with my thumb over the neck when I don't need to.
I also hate finger-picking which really hurts my acoustic-playing.

Sometimes when I finish drumming a song or session I like to throw my sticks at something and it usually causes some sort of damage.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I think this is a "bad habit" all bass players have.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

excessive wanking
satan sux my dick
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
I think this is a "bad habit" all bass players have.
It's an extension leftover from when I played guitar more and when I did more chordal work on a five-string and needed the thumb to move the roots around.

But it just looks kind of stupid just playing regular lines with that just hanging out over the neck like that. And since it pivots your fingers at an angle when you do it, it cuts your speed in half.

I've been playing a five-string a lot more again, so it forces you to break that habit because just doing it without thinking just makes it uncomfortable, so you automatically just don't do it.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I was always taught to never have my thumb even start to creep over the neck. With a seemingly endless myriad of chord voicings for a single chord, there's really no excuse for using your thumb; in my opinion.
I also never used to use my pinky and forced myself to start using it. It took about a year to build up sufficient strength in it, but things like sweep arpeggios and just general shredding is about 20x easier with the use of my pinky. It's vital, really.

I never use a metronome and I really, really should. That's one bad habit I can think of.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

a metronome or a nice drum beat in the background would be something i could also use
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

Kellan wrote:I was always taught to never have my thumb even start to creep over the neck.
srv, hendrix etc used their thumbs for chords.
try doing it. very challenging
... You're killing me, Smalls.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

Every solo I play comes down to pentatonics, Im so used to it, I can't unlearn it
During fast palm muting I put my pick in too much of an angle with the snares, gives it a scratchy sound I don't want.

As far as drumming goes, I guess I can get too pumped up in a song and let the tempo progress while I shouldn't.

Despite this I'm still awesome though.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

slay wrote:a metronome or a nice drum beat in the background would be something i could also use
a very simple, but effective "computer drum machine" is called Rythm Rascal" it can be easily downloaded from Limewire.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Wayne wrote:
Kellan wrote:I was always taught to never have my thumb even start to creep over the neck.
That still doesn't negate the fact that there's a plethora of different chord voicings for a single chord, even on the same fret; which don't require your thumb. I just don't think it's necessary and that it's bad technique.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

PABassPlayer wrote:
slay wrote:a metronome or a nice drum beat in the background would be something i could also use
a very simple, but effective "computer drum machine" is called Rythm Rascal" it can be easily downloaded from Limewire.

will check it out :tup:
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

i cant use my pinky its been broke too many times and is a useless finger, it never does what i tell it
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

Kellan wrote:
Wayne wrote:
That still doesn't negate the fact that there's a plethora of different chord voicings for a single chord, even on the same fret; which don't require your thumb. I just don't think it's necessary and that it's bad technique.
i guess it's more style/feel than anything else. and sometimes that trumps technique
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Well I guess then by that definition, thumb-over the neck isn't my style. But if it works for you, have at it
:tup:

no pun intended with the :tup: emoticon :lol:
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've been working on muting strings I'm not playing that end up ringing sympathetically. I'm good at it on bass but I have a fuck of a time doing it on guitar.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

BassPhemy wrote:I've been working on muting strings I'm not playing that end up ringing sympathetically. I'm good at it on bass but I have a fuck of a time doing it on guitar.
Yeah, I avoid using open strings on a bass at all costs. I naturally mute strings all over the place, though. I don't even think about it. It was all that funk playing, I think.
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

my worst habbit and curse is falling asleep when i play. i can't explain it. one minute i'm wide awake but the moment i start strumming those strings i'm dozing off. standing up and putting cigs out on my arm doesn't help :(

i'm kidding about the cigs
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

RandomRussianDude wrote:my worst habbit and curse is falling asleep when i play. i can't explain it. one minute i'm wide awake but the moment i start strumming those strings i'm dozing off. standing up and putting cigs out on my arm doesn't help :(

Sounds Pavlovian.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I don't even know where to start. I'm sure I have bad habits that I don't even know about yet.. I intend to take some lessons in the summe, hopefully I can find a decent rock tutor to help me with the mechanical side of things, and a jazz man to help me brush up on theory and improv..
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

Pfl?yd wrote:
RandomRussianDude wrote:my worst habbit and curse is falling asleep when i play. i can't explain it. one minute i'm wide awake but the moment i start strumming those strings i'm dozing off. standing up and putting cigs out on my arm doesn't help :(

Sounds Pavlovian.
yeah, but where the hell did it come from? this never happened when i was younger. i could play for 6 hours straight and feel nothing but adrenaline afterwards, now its 5 minutes and i'm ready for bed :x
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

One bad habit I do have which I know of is sometimes I'll use the bridge of my floyd rose to create vibrato more so than from my finger movements, by a simple wiggle of my picking hand on top of the bridge.

I'm getting out of it though, glad I filmed a show of my playing... man I did it a lot. It just accentuates the vibrato a little to much.

Apart from that I amn't sure of any major ones apart from the usual just being shit at guitar.
gay_hayride
I will fuck you up

Post by gay_hayride »

i stick guitar strings up my urethra..and speed pick with the tip of my cock
A MAN WHO FUCKS ANOTHER MAN, IS NOT A MAN AT ALL
skiscem
Creampuff

Post by skiscem »

too many harmonies on my bass lines
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

count-ins to song!
I always try to hum the melody in my head first, but on stage I can't always rember the melody quick enough, so I just have to count off. When that happens its often a little fast, so the first transition I have to adjust.
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

drummer_goat wrote:count-ins to song!
I always try to hum the melody in my head first, but on stage I can't always rember the melody quick enough, so I just have to count off. When that happens its often a little fast, so the first transition I have to adjust.
I sometimes have to hum a melody for the new drummer in the one band I play with for just that reason. He always blanks out and I'm like "da-da-da da-da duh!" I'm sure it looks fucking stupid on stage.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

My bad habit is that i don't practice enough
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Wayne wrote:My bad habit is that i don't practice enough
Same as i was going to post.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Sometimes I jack off all over my guitar
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

i dont practice enough. especially since im playing in a gigging band. i know it should, and i get the urge to play, but with action of walking to the stack and picking up the guitar makes me lose all urge. i dont know what it is. and if it get as far as actually playing its only for about 10 or 15 min then i get bored with what im playing so i stop. it sucks ass
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

I use my thumb to fret all the time. It's done wonders for my playing. But I don't find myself having the thumb hang over when I don't need it. Guess I'm just beast like that. :tup:

I don't really have any bad mechanical habits that I'm aware of. I'm just not as good as I want to be. I guess my main complaint is that I wish I was more technically skilled at lead guitar, but whenever I'm playing lead I always end up only caring about phrasing, melodic ideas, and cool fretboard shapes/patterns to nerd out on instead of practicing my speed and picking skills. :x

I might get out my exercise books and start a daily routine to practice with a metronome. I did this for a few years when I first started but now whenever I pick up a guitar I immediately start playing something I've written, improvising, or playing a song I like. Once that starts, I don't even think about practicing scales and shit.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Pressing my thumb against the back of the fretboard too strongly. I'm not a very good player, that's for sure, but the damn cheap bass isn't making things easier :tdown:
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

Maelstrom wrote:Pressing my thumb against the back of the fretboard too strongly. I'm not a very good player, that's for sure, but the damn cheap bass isn't making things easier :tdown:
practice without using your thumb at all. this will help with that and improve your finger strength
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

hippy wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:Pressing my thumb against the back of the fretboard too strongly. I'm not a very good player, that's for sure, but the damn cheap bass isn't making things easier :tdown:
practice without using your thumb at all. this will help with that and improve your finger strength
Well I tried a bass in a music store and it was SO MUCH EASIER TO PLAY, I swear :lol:

(summary: my bass sucks)
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.