Scales for beginners

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Top Dollar
I will fuck you up

Scales for beginners

Post by Top Dollar »

I'm more of a rhythm player (big riff oriented such as Angus Young & Jerry Cantrell), but would like to work on lead chops. I've been told to start learning some easy scales. I know nothing about blue scales, pentatonic, etc. So if y'all could give me some examples of each that I could practice on, it would be greatly appreciated.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Just look them up.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

download powertab then go on any website and there'll be hundreds of lessons all over the internet.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Top Dollar
I will fuck you up

Post by Top Dollar »

Well that's the thing, I can spend all day looking at various ones, that it makes it hard for me to pick just one, thinking it'll improve my playing. I mean at least one that's good to start off on. Something practical.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Fuck I hate scales.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Minor pentatonic and natural minor.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

This site is a good, quick reference for pretty much everything for lead playing.

http://www.ushimitsudoki.com/scalculato ... lator.html
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I guess to start a foundation on leads, you'll want to learn, like Ben said, natural minor and pentatonic minor, which is built off of the nat minor scale.

At the same time, learn natural major and pentatonic major. Once you see how the major and minor scales are related up and down the neck, it will open up the fretboard a lot more for you.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

And don't forget the Circle of Fifths!
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Pfl?yd wrote:And don't forget the Circle of Fifths!
True x10984378948

Learn the circle of fifths, plus harmonic minor and melodic minor scale shapes; and you'll be WELL on your way to becoming an established lead player.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i've been told before jumping into scales, memorize the notes on the neck.

you need to know them well enough to have a fret pointed out and naming the note out quick.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Wayne wrote:i've been told before jumping into scales, memorize the notes on the neck.

you need to know them well enough to have a fret pointed out and naming the note out quick.
I personally don't think this is necessarily true. I've known a ton of different scale shapes on guitar for years now without having a firm grasp on what exact note I'm playing. I could probably name if it you're pointing out "what note is that," but I just kind of know the position of the shape, relative to the chord/key.
If you learn the circle of 5ths, it'll be a huge advantage. You learn what keys have what sharps and flats with them, their relative minors, parallel keys, etc etc. If someone says "play a harmonic minor in the key of," whatever; you'll be able to figure out exactly what key that is, how many sharps or flats it has; and the pattern or shape always remains the same. You transpose that shape onto the key and apply the sharps or flats to that shape; and you've got all your notes figured out.
I'd love to work on this stuff more and figure out exactly what notes I'm playing, personally. And having the circle of 5ths memorized or having a firm grasp on it and what key you're in will definitely help you with figuring out what notes you're playing. Once you've figured out the key, there's only 7 possible notes you could be playing in that key (granted you're playing a diatonic scale), and if you know where the root and 5th are in that key/chord; it shouldn't be terribly hard to figure out what note you're playing relative to either of those two reference points.
Top Dollar
I will fuck you up

Post by Top Dollar »

Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Much appreciated :tup: