soundproofing your jamspace?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
AoD
Mouth For War

soundproofing your jamspace?

Post by AoD »

i just got a buncha that foam shit insulation and covered everything in carpet. its not really soundproof at all but its all i could afford really. anyone have any tips for cheap ways to make shit cool? also, how do you set your shit up so it sounds the best acoustically in the room?
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

use your splooge to cement in any cracks
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

What is the construction of the room itself? Is it in a basement? Concrete or drywall? Floor material? Room size? High ceilings? Drop ceiling? Adjacent to an exterior wall? Windows? There are a LOT of factors that involve the sound and soundproof-ness of a room than just throwing up some carpeting.

My jamspace is in a finished room in the basement. The interior walls are separated from the outer wall by about six inches of dead air with carpet over the concrete floor and both windows are sealed up and covered with wood. I elevate all the amps (especially the bass amp) off the floor and keep them from being too close to the wall angling them into room from the corners. I hang a couple of sheets of carpet padding in the corners and on the walls to reduce reflection.

With this set-up the amount of sound outside the house is next to nothing; you can't hear anything from the street or from within the neighbors' houses. The sound on the main floor of the house is still pretty clear, but not so much that it's any louder than a television set in the main room; mostly because the ceiling isn't a drop ceiling and there isn't a lot of space between it and the floor joists.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

how loud do you play? the room i use is a backroom to a garage, cinderblock. its half buried in the ground . i have the 2 windows sealed with wood, insulation for heat on the ceilings and everythings covered in carpet except for the floor which would just get too dirty and the very rarely happening water damage that would start to stink im sure.. i think we just play too loud. do you really think the 6 inches of dead air helps?
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

go to places like waffle house, ihop, huddle house and ask for there spent egg cartons, cover the place up with them
Fuck Ole Miss
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

AoD wrote:do you really think the 6 inches of dead air helps?
The dead air is how soundproofing works to my understanding.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

BassPhemy wrote:
AoD wrote:do you really think the 6 inches of dead air helps?
The dead air is how soundproofing works to my understanding.
Yeah, go to any professional studio and that's what they do. The majority of sound is carried through vibration; if there is no material between the walls to transfer vibration, you kill a lot of the sound transfer to the outside wall. If you are playing in a concrete room, it's going to be require you have some material to absorb most of the sound before it gets anywhere near the concrete. Concrete is one of the worst environments for sound and it gets worse the louder you get.

I don't play super loud because it's counterproductive. Once you get to a certain decibel level, the nuances of sound and technique get lost in a mish-mash of noise and vibration. The whole point of practice is to zero in on details and make sure everything jives and sounds good. I save the high decibels for the live environment where all those hours of honing in on the details will transfer that much better.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

im gonna move back out to rural ohio. it would be great to have a farm. no neighbors to whine about noise.
rObsessed!
washburnML
I will fuck you up

Post by washburnML »

Brandon wrote:im gonna move back out to rural ohio. it would be great to have a farm. no neighbors to whine about noise.
move to the Tiro area.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Brandon wrote:im gonna move back out to rural ohio. it would be great to have a farm. no neighbors to whine about noise.

?
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

hahaha
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

ill update what happens when i do the carpet 6 inches from the wall next weekend....
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Tweel wrote:go to places like waffle house, ihop, huddle house and ask for there spent egg cartons, cover the place up with them
Egg boxes don't insulate sound, they only change the acoustics in that room.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

weonlywonfiveone wrote:
Tweel wrote:go to places like waffle house, ihop, huddle house and ask for there spent egg cartons, cover the place up with them
In theory, they should offer some degree of insulation with the numerous tiny pockets of air. It won't be as effective as a second wall separated from the first, but it seems to me that they would reduce the sound more than, say, just carpet.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

Ben wrote:
weonlywonfiveone wrote:
In theory, they should offer some degree of insulation with the numerous tiny pockets of air. It won't be as effective as a second wall separated from the first, but it seems to me that they would reduce the sound more than, say, just carpet.
problem solved. staple them mu-fucking egg boxes onto the carpet wall. jizz in the rest
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Ben wrote:
weonlywonfiveone wrote:
Q I've heard that sticking egg boxes or acoustic foam to walls will help soundproof a room. Is this true?

Egg boxes can make a marginal improvement to some aspects of a room's acoustics by breakingup reflections from hard surfaces, but they are virtually useless for soundproofing. The same is true of lightweight suspended ceilings, acoustic foam and even Rockwool (Rockwool tends to be used for acoustic treatment or for damping out resonances inside partition walls. All these materials have their uses, but they're mainly for acoustic treatment, not for soundproofing).
The story still circulates that sticking egg-boxes to walls will work as soundproofing, but this is quite simply not true - I tried it in my college days, and though it makes a slight improvement to some aspect of the acoustics of a room, it has virtually no effect at all on sound leakage. However, there are practical measures that will have an effect in a typical project studio, although in most situations the word 'soundproofing' is rather misleading - the best you can hope for is to improve the situation. Eliminating all sound leakage is virtually impossible without a custom-designed building.
Q Can I use egg boxes to sound insulate my room ?

A : No. Absolutely not!
I hate to say it, but you have fallen victim to a nasty and VERY
widespread myth. White foam OR egg cartons will do an OK job of
reducing room reflections, except at low frequencies, which will
make the room "deader" (should clean up the sound in the room some,
can help if you're trying to record, and can cut down mic feedback
while practicing). This is called "Acoustic treatment." It is NOT
soundproofing. Egg boxes will do almost nothing to prevent sound
>from leaving the room.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

i wanna soundproof my place so the neighbors dont hear the screams of young girls
rObsessed!
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

:lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

same boat, stuck in a concrete basement, and worse, its a 3 story building with other people on the third floor, the sound carries up clear as day, no money to remedy it. i hear a lot of theories like quilts in the rafters holding up crinkled balls of newspaper, the drink carrier/egg carton deal which has been debunked in this thread....

does anyone have any cheap ways to at least improve the situation...
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Kyle wrote:same boat, stuck in a concrete basement, and worse, its a 3 story building with other people on the third floor, the sound carries up clear as day, no money to remedy it. i hear a lot of theories like quilts in the rafters holding up crinkled balls of newspaper, the drink carrier/egg carton deal which has been debunked in this thread....

does anyone have any cheap ways to at least improve the situation...
An electronic drumkit, some DI boxes, and a headphone amp. :|
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

that doesnt sound very brutal...
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

electronic kits can be very brutal actually
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

goddammit if i am in the middle of sacrificing a small animal i dont wanna have a casio in the background.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

if you don't have the $ then just jam at someone else's house. it's better then jamming in a place where theres different people in the building
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Kellan wrote:electronic kits can be very brutal actually
Mine ain't bad. :tup:

MIDI controller to boot. :tup: :tup:
eurotard with tekno
I will fuck you up

Post by eurotard with tekno »

a cotton sheet works

have a house party with a 40watt lamp [url=http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=411517&file=filename.pls]init[/url]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

No it doesn't you fucking retard.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
eurotard with tekno
I will fuck you up

Post by eurotard with tekno »

kind of obvious. only thing it would do is dampen the bass wave
have a house party with a 40watt lamp [url=http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=411517&file=filename.pls]init[/url]
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:if you don't have the $ then just jam at someone else's house. it's better then jamming in a place where theres different people in the building

that would be ideal, but its hard to approach a friend and be like "hey can we make a shitload of noice in your basement a few nights a week?"
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Oooor, you could do what the majority of normal folk do and pay for a rehearsal room each time you want to practice. Good gear, good setup, good sound, not too expensive (For us works out at £5 each ($10) for 3 hours practice).
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

eurotard with tekno wrote:a cotton sheet works

Tht drumset looks like it should be taken out to the shed and put down. :(
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

weonlywonfiveone wrote:Oooor, you could do what the majority of normal folk do and pay for a rehearsal room each time you want to practice. Good gear, good setup, good sound, not too expensive (For us works out at £5 each ($10) for 3 hours practice).

as ideal as that sounds, i know of no services like that in my neck of the woods... i have a friend a few towns over who owns a full studio, but he doesnt realy have much equipment, and i dont kow how keen he'd be on us leaving our equipment there...
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Kyle wrote:
weonlywonfiveone wrote:Oooor, you could do what the majority of normal folk do and pay for a rehearsal room each time you want to practice. Good gear, good setup, good sound, not too expensive (For us works out at £5 each ($10) for 3 hours practice).

as ideal as that sounds, i know of no services like that in my neck of the woods... i have a friend a few towns over who owns a full studio, but he doesnt realy have much equipment, and i dont kow how keen he'd be on us leaving our equipment there...
How about you record your riffs into yer pc, or tab them into powertab as best you can, send them to yer bass player and drummer etc, tell them to write stuff to it over a week and then you could arrange a fortnightly session of a few hours to tie it all together at yer mates pad.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

i mean if you just straight up tell them that the people above are complaining and it wont work out, i'm sure your friends wont mind jamming at one of their places unless its a similar situation. the tabbing/sending thing is definitely not as fun
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Acid Flashbakc wrote: the tabbing/sending thing is definitely not as fun
This is very true, btw
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

hourly jam space...thinking about packing that much gear....everytime we wanted to jam...my drummer has a HUGE shop....but its still within city limits..and even though we're under the decible limit...everytime we play there it's a 250$ fine..they have laws that target music..it's only ok to have that loud of sound if its business related..or for lawn care. we have to jam in another city in a basement too.

also usually DI = shit tone...would rather use my amp for practicing...but you don't have to turn your volume way up for practice.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

where weare at is OK for the time being, but we gotta wrap up by 6 every night, and my drummer is working straight days, and i work in a bar only on weekends... so we are limited to weekends during the day, or if he doesnt have work. luckily what hes doing is carpentry so he can usually score a day or two between jobs. itd just be awesome to have more of a concrete schedule and not be constantly worried about pissing off my friend's neighbors...
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

dude thats 32 THOUSAND dollars for an 8 by 15 room. i can build a house for that much money.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

weonlywonfiveone wrote:
Kyle wrote:

How about you record your riffs into yer pc, or tab them into powertab as best you can, send them to yer bass player and drummer etc, tell them to write stuff to it over a week and then you could arrange a fortnightly session of a few hours to tie it all together at yer mates pad.
That's pretty much what my band does. We use compositional software and it all ties together with a click track anyway since we do video-syncing as well. We just send each other files with demos and sheet music, if need be, and we convene once a month to go through the set and make sure it sounds okay.