floyd roses suck massive fucking dick

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

floyd roses suck massive fucking dick

Post by hektik »

i decided today i wanted to tune down to standard D. well, after an hour of tuning, re tuning, de tuning, foaming at the mouth in anger, and damn near pissing myself, i decided to slam my guitar on the ground and fuck with it later.

help me adjust my floyd rose, it's on an old piece of shit BC rich warlock, probably a bronze series, or something worse than that. I just wanna go back to E because i can't be arsed to fuck with anything else now
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

you'll have to tighten the springs
tighten the spring screws maybe one turn, and then tune your strings. once you get them all in tune, if the trem is still not sitting parallel to the body, loosen off the strings a bit, and tighten the springs some more. keep playing until you get the strings in tune and the trem is sitting parellel to the body
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

also, if the trem is being pulled back into the body, the springs are too tight, loosen the screws

know what i mean?
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

the screws on the floyd?
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Not worth it. Sell it and buy something without a lock.
Ezekiel 23:20
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

The Doctor wrote:Not worth it. Sell it and buy something without a lock.
i bought the guitar for 20 bucks. it's worth it.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Dawdy wrote:you'll have to tighten the springs
tighten the spring screws maybe one turn, and then tune your strings. once you get them all in tune, if the trem is still not sitting parallel to the body, loosen off the strings a bit, and tighten the springs some more. keep playing until you get the strings in tune and the trem is sitting parellel to the body
and i can never get any string in tune without another one going out wildly! help me dawdy!
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

nevermind folks i broke the guitar in half. i should've taken pics :lol:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Fixed bridge 4TW!
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

i enjoy string thru bodies negro. next guit fid i get i'm definetly getting a string thru
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

u hate my floyd to.. want another guitar without one :tup:
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I'm getting a Gibson. Fuck locks. :tdown:
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Re: floyd roses suck massive fucking dick

Post by PABassPlayer »

hektik wrote:i decided today i wanted to tune down to standard D. well, after an hour of tuning, re tuning, de tuning, foaming at the mouth in anger, and damn near pissing myself, i decided to slam my guitar on the ground and fuck with it later.

help me adjust my floyd rose, it's on an old piece of shit BC rich warlock, probably a bronze series, or something worse than that. I just wanna go back to E because i can't be arsed to fuck with anything else now
Buy another guitar.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Even though it's too late:

You want the bridge as parallel to the body as you can get it. So basically you get it parallel by tightening or loosening the screws in the back, tune, it's fucked up again, tighten/loosen, tune, repeat processes; and eventually shit starts to pan out. Then you adjust intonation on the saddles.

Floyd Roses pretty much suck. Even though I used to do trem shit 24/7 when I would play on my Jackson with a FR; while I'm playing my string-through Schecter, I only miss that about .1% of the time. Honestly. They're so not worth the hassle.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Speaking of guitars with annoying Floyd Rose trems...

I'm about to eBay my ESP LTD M350 if anyone is interested in it. I'll probably post a link to the auction when I do it.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

My first guitar was a Squire Strat with a liscenced Floyd on it. Eventually I just bolted the trem onto the body so I wouldn't have to fuck with it but I undid it when I refinished my guitar recently. I tried to tune down a step and then I remembered what a hassle it is and just went back to E.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Unless you stick to one tuning, they're shit. You'd think they'd design them to go back and forth at least a step with a little ease.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

string tension vs. spring tension = :tdown:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Springs = :tdown:
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

mate, when i first used a floyd rose, it took me 9 straight hours to tune and set up properly.
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

are you guys amateurs or something? i love floyd rose! it just wouldn't be the same without it. it takes me about 1-2 minutes to get in tune before i start playing. and thanks to the locks it stays in tune a whole lot better than a sans rose guitar. tuning to different keys is another story, but it still only takes 5-10 minutes.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I personally don't have a huge problem with them. They're just more hassle than they're worth.

And intonation. Saddle locks/set screws underneath strings at tension = dumbest fucking thing ever.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

put extra strings in and block it with a peice of wood or whatever fits in the crevice between the bridge and the body, tune the strings starting with the little bottom one....
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

AoD wrote:put extra strings in and block it with a peice of wood or whatever fits in the crevice between the bridge and the body, tune the strings starting with the little bottom one....
That's what i usually do.
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

<THe_FeAR> wrote:
AoD wrote:put extra strings in and block it with a peice of wood or whatever fits in the crevice between the bridge and the body, tune the strings starting with the little bottom one....
That's what i usually do.
use a AA battery. its the perfect size. and yea fuck Floyd Rose worst invention for an instrument. keep with the stop-tails
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

A locking bridge system is, in theory, a good idea. But Floyd Rose systems are just too high maintenance. :tdown: That's the problem I have with them.

Although they are handy...
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

They're cool if you want to wank or do a dive bomb or whatever other worthless non musical crap you have up your sleeve but you can't even tune to drop D without making a project out of it, let alone open D or DADGAD.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

There's pros and cons to the floyd, sure. But to be honest they really aren't that hard to set up and maintain. Adjusting the screws is actually really easy and doesn't take much time at all.

I used to use the floyd for divebombs and all the tricks but then I got bored of that. Usually the only times I use the bar these days is for saxophone bends and smooth vibrato.
Dimebaggage
Mouth For War

Post by Dimebaggage »

hektik wrote:
Dawdy wrote:you'll have to tighten the springs
and i can never get any string in tune without another one going out wildly!
i use to have the same problem with mine. such a fucking pain in the ass :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

I don't see how people can't take 10-15 minutes to set a floyd rose up... i've had problems with a floyd once... it wasn't even locking at the bridge.. i was some ibanez peice of junk... no offence to the ibanez fans but it was total junk!

I don't care for floating floyds anymore for the fact that i'd rather have better sustain with the floyd flat on the body... it's all about the tone baby.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I'm sure that the incredible amount of horribly shit lisenced copies don't do their reputation any favours..
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

i have too many floyds, but i got used to it.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I used to have a Jackson Kelly and I used the whammy bar once and never used it again. I'll never have a need for a floyd. They're just too much trouble.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

which whammy bars are the best
rObsessed!
P.Huff
Creampuff

Post by P.Huff »

THE BRIDGE ON A GIBSON IS BEST BRO! I HAVE 2 LES PAULS. ONE TUNED TO STANDARD AND ONE TUNED DOWN LOW FOR CHUGGIN
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

croninburg wrote:I'm sure that the incredible amount of horribly shit lisenced copies don't do their reputation any favours..
Definitely.

What's crazy though is the licensed floyd I have on one of my guitars works better than the original Floyd Rose I had installed in one of my others.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

warhead dime wrote:
croninburg wrote:I'm sure that the incredible amount of horribly shit lisenced copies don't do their reputation any favours..
Definitely.

What's crazy though is the licensed floyd I have on one of my guitars works better than the original Floyd Rose I had installed in one of my others.
I have the Dime 2ST, Chinese made. The Floyd won't stay in tune for shit :tdown: I have heard good things about some of the licensed units though, i remember someone on here (dead forever?) claiming that the Schaller ones are supposed to be as good or better. Some of the Ibanez ones seem pretty good too, and I like the low profile. I'm definitely sticking with my tele though :lol:
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I just got a telecaster. I love it. The last couple guitars I've bought have been hardtail. Gibson V and Fender Telecaster. First American made guitars I've bought so far as well. I think my telecaster needs different tuners though.

Let me ask you a question. You know that squeal that the tele produces with high volume/distortion. Along with a noise gate, would some foam underneath the strings behind the nut stop that squeal?
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

warhead dime wrote:I just got a telecaster. I love it. The last couple guitars I've bought have been hardtail. Gibson V and Fender Telecaster. First American made guitars I've bought so far as well. I think my telecaster needs different tuners though.

Let me ask you a question. You know that squeal that the tele produces with high volume/distortion. Along with a noise gate, would some foam underneath the strings behind the nut stop that squeal?
If you don't have any foam at the moment, try using some electrical tape wrapped around the neck/strings and see if that helps.

But i'm thinking it is more likely an electronic / pickup issue.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

warhead dime wrote:I just got a telecaster. I love it. The last couple guitars I've bought have been hardtail. Gibson V and Fender Telecaster. First American made guitars I've bought so far as well. I think my telecaster needs different tuners though.

I'm afraid I don't know. I don't really use distortion, just overdrive - all single coils hum, but i've only experienced squealing with hi gain settings on my korg. If you want heavy tones, it might be worth getting a set of hot rails for the bridge?