Pinky Finger Strengthening

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Metal66
Trendkiller

Pinky Finger Strengthening

Post by Metal66 »

Anyone know any good exercises to strengthen the pinky? It's really holding me back I think and I want to know ways to make it stick when it place it on a string. Thanks.
Last edited by Metal66 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Avulsed"]Some white girl I met in summer school said she got pregnant from a black man so she threw herself down the stairs twice.[/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

put yir legs up on ur computer desk stik pinky up butthole and if ur not gay it should be a pretty tight fit strengthening pinky as u move it around up in ur cavity
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Metal66
Trendkiller

Post by Metal66 »

I did that and all I got was a shitty finger.
[quote="Avulsed"]Some white girl I met in summer school said she got pregnant from a black man so she threw herself down the stairs twice.[/quote]
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

jack off more. tighten the pinky while jacking off and keep it flexed.
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

just keeping playing shit where you need to use it. eventually it'll start to work the way you want it to
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Post by CliffandJason-BASS »

ok i'll keep trying that
Muthafuckin' Wheelbarrow!
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

finger girls at your middle school
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

play hammer ons and pull offs with it. for eg. ----5h8p5h8p5h8p5h8---

just keep doing it till your pinky starts going numb. then move on to the lower/upper string. do this across the entire (bottom to topmost strings and vs.) fretboard till you can do it no more, then do it again and again.

then you can start stretching the pinky further down the fretboard.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

if u just keep your pinky anchored down on one fret, and you keep all the other fingers moving on the same string, you'll notice that you're still playing the same note, hence, working out your pinky fretting!

normally, i would get bored of doing something like that i just mentioned^ and that's when i go "ballz out" experimental and start slammin the strings at the bridge w/my nutsack creating all kinds of unworldly noise effects while simultaneously fingering the fretboard and flicking the pick-up selector toggle switch.
satan sux my dick
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Post by CliffandJason-BASS »

RandomRussianDude wrote:play hammer ons and pull offs with it. for eg. ----5h8p5h8p5h8p5h8---

just keep doing it till your pinky starts going numb. then move on to the lower/upper string. do this across the entire (bottom to topmost strings and vs.) fretboard till you can do it no more, then do it again and again.

then you can start stretching the pinky further down the fretboard.
helps me :tup:
Muthafuckin' Wheelbarrow!
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Just make yourself use it. That's really the only way.
Ezekiel 23:20
triple5
Far Beyond Driven

Post by triple5 »

UNGODLIKE wrote:if u just keep your pinky anchored down on one fret, and you keep all the other fingers moving on the same string, you'll notice that you're still playing the same note, hence, working out your pinky fretting!

normally, i would get bored of doing something like that i just mentioned^ and that's when i go "ballz out" experimental and start slammin the strings at the bridge w/my nutsack creating all kinds of unworldly noise effects while simultaneously fingering the fretboard and flicking the pick-up selector toggle switch.
that shit is funny, ballz out guitar noise!
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Just use it
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Play power chords with your index and pinky fingers. Not your index and ring fingers.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

I never used my pinky much for the first couple of years that i played guitar. I started using it when i was watching videos of pantera and dime was doing those wide pinky streatches. I started trying to do them and practiced them over and over and after a few weeks i was able to integrate my pinky into my playing style a lot more. No i try to use it as much as possible when playing with an economy playing approach.
Suck me
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

BassPhemy wrote:Play power chords with your index and pinky fingers. Not your index and ring fingers.
yes. people have always thought i was weird for doing this. they don't understand that using your index and pinky for power chords is easier on the hand and allows more accurate movement at high speeds, especially with metal.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

Lord of This World wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:Play power chords with your index and pinky fingers. Not your index and ring fingers.
yes. people have always thought i was weird for doing this. they don't understand that using your index and pinky for power chords is easier on the hand and allows more accurate movement at high speeds, especially with metal.
i was under the impression everyone used their pinky for power chords. i guess not. also i do bends using the pinky, just something i've done from the beginning.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I only use my "pinky" to play the octave, I don't use it if I'm just playing the root and fifth (in case you were wondering :lol: )
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

part of it is the "ultra super extra jumbo" frets they slap on all the guitars now. :tdown:
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Well when you play actual, real chord voicings you're going to want to have your ring finger on the 5th so you can change the chord voicing with your pinky finger. I mean even an add9 chord tells you this (1-5-9), much less other chord voicings that start to stray from the stereotypical fingering of a simple power chord shape with the 1-5-octave scheme.
But if all you want to play is power chords, by all means, just use your pinky for the 5th.
If ever you start playing jazz or different chord voicings in general, you're going to find out that having your pinky finger available to you is probably the most crucial part of the chord. The more fretboard surface area you can cover with your hand, you're going to be better off with.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Well the index/pinky power chord is a start. After a while you should gain enough strength and dexterity to be able to cleanly fret a span of 5 frets as well as the 5th.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I'm pretty much addicted to 9ths and the pinky is pretty crucial in that sense.

Also, don't blame fret size, bassists have managed for years. :PP:
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Pfl?yd wrote:I'm pretty much addicted to 9ths and the pinky is pretty crucial in that sense.

i have no problems on bass. i just don't like super big frets on guitars for some reason. of course, when i play bass i'm in a totally different mindset than on guitar.

i should have also said that i never play power chords anymore and so i am mostly playing fifths with ring finger, especially since i mostly use thumb-over style for barre chords. it really does give you a lot more freedom to play around with chord voicing and fills.

i loves 9ths too. :aargh: :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Lord of This World wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:I'm pretty much addicted to 9ths and the pinky is pretty crucial in that sense.

i have no problems on bass. i just don't like super big frets on guitars for some reason. of course, when i play bass i'm in a totally different mindset than on guitar.

i should have also said that i never play power chords anymore and so i am mostly playing fifths with ring finger, especially since i mostly use thumb-over style for barre chords. it really does give you a lot more freedom to play around with chord voicing and fills.

i loves 9ths too. :aargh: :tup:
I play octaves on the bass entirely with the pinky unless I'm adding chord tones above that. Slapping octaves while holding down the "pop" string with the pinky is an excellent pinky workout!
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Lord of This World wrote:part of it is the "ultra super extra jumbo" frets they slap on all the guitars now. :tdown:
Meh. I can sprawl my fingers pretty far. I'm not bothered. :lol:
Ezekiel 23:20
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Truth me told, I like small frets on guitar. After playing a jumbo-fret five-string bass, picking up a small-fretted guitar is like Stephen Hawking doing times-tables.