Question about sweeps

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Ben
fuckyeah

Question about sweeps

Post by Ben »

When doing a sweep like this, should I pick the highest note and pull off, or can I play it legato (part of a hammer on/pull off combo)?

Code: Select all

+ = downstroke
V = upstroke

+   V   +  +  +  +  V     V  V  V  V   +
|------------------12-17P12-------------------|
|---------------13----------13----------------|
|------------14----------------14-------------|
|---------14----------------------14----------|
|-12--15-----------------------------15-12----|
|---------------------------------------------|

1   4   3  3  2  1  4  1  2  3  3  4  1
or

Code: Select all

+ = downstroke
V = upstroke

+   V   +  +  +  +        V  V  V  V   +
|------------------12h17P12-------------------|
|---------------13----------13----------------|
|------------14----------------14-------------|
|---------14----------------------14----------|
|-12--15-----------------------------15-12----|
|---------------------------------------------|

1   4   3  3  2  1  4  1  2  3  3  4  1
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Why do you upstroke on the first 15th frett note? Surely legatto would make it much easier?

Also, I would use lthe hammer on /pull off method , but that's what feels comfortable to me.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

It's time for the doctor to operate. Well the whole idea of a sweep is that you're "raking" the strings.. So basically you downstroke all the way down and then back up all upstroke.. ( like a chord but playing each note individually). But when you have more than one note on a string you can hammer it/pull off OR you can alt pick the notes that are on the same string (this would be considered economy but for the sake of sweeping.. it's sweeping) . But whichever tecnique you plan on using depends on how you want to emphasize the sequence. Anyway i just wanted you to know that, but i recommend you dont upstroke on notes you can hammer or pull off yet.. so you can develop some natural muting... and it's most commenly used too.. necro uses it alot. Paul gilbert uses the "economy" one more..
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Dimejandro wrote:It's time for the doctor to operate. Well the whole idea of a sweep is that you're "raking" the strings.. So basically you downstroke all the way down and then back up all upstroke.. ( like a chord but playing each note individually). But when you have more than one note on a string you can hammer it/pull off OR you can alt pick the notes that are on the same string (this would be considered economy but for the sake of sweeping.. it's sweeping) . But whichever tecnique you plan on using depends on how you want to emphasize the sequence. Anyway i just wanted you to know that, but i recommend you dont upstroke on notes you can hammer or pull off yet.. so you can develop some natural muting... and it's most commenly used too.. necro uses it alot. Paul gilbert uses the "economy" one more..
Excellent! The hammer on/pull off makes it easier, but I didn't know if that was bad technique. :tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

dead forever wrote:Why do you upstroke on the first 15th frett note? Surely legatto would make it much easier?

Also, I would use lthe hammer on /pull off method , but that's what feels comfortable to me.
Or he could start on the upstroke.. but it's all personal preference, as long as you can tell if something sounds like shit.