A few questions.

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

A few questions.

Post by BassPhemy »

How are Schecter guitars/basses? I've been looking into them and they appear well made and have a lot of good reviews. I've always shyed away from them since they were usually endorsed by people that weren't very talent inclined.

Are there any other bass guitar brands that are easy and comfortable to play on that I may not have thought of?

My Rickenbacker always slips into a horizontal position when I play it standing up with a strap. If I moved the rear strap pin higher on the bass (as in further away from the input jack) would that make it balance out closer to a 45 degree angle or would I be wasting my time?

On my amp I have a 5 band EQ. I can't really get the sound I want and I'm always tweaking the knobs. Scooping only blends my bass sound into the rest of the band so I can't really be heard. I usually end up doing kind of a reverse-scoop with the mids higher than the lows and highs. Any suggestions or should I just upgrade my amp?
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

My father has a Schecter http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=21. I think this thing plays and sounds great for the price. I think he paid ~650USD. At a gig a few months ago the guitar player from the most popular metal act here in Milwaukee was playing the same model of guitar. It sounded good to me. Schecter :tup:

The bass player in my band plays an Ibanez bass. It has this super thin neck and the active pickups on that thing are constantly killing the compressor in his rig. Is that normal? I dunno. He seems to like the bass though. I'm sure you've played many Ibanez guitars and basses.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

have you considered a US made Fender Jazz or P bass?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

Bassphemy, Schecter are indeed well-made, great sounding instruments that are exceptional values.

Depending on how much cabbage you want to drop, you should look at the mid-line Warwicks, like the Corvette standard. They look a little goofy, so some people say, but they really have a cool sound that slices thru a heavy mix & the wood is great quality, even on the lower priced models.

Sam Ash carries them, so look online or go to the store. :D
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
soulburn
Cowboy From Hell

Post by soulburn »

I'd say go for an ESP LTD. The basses in the $500+ range rip, and you get what you pay for. They're great for aggressive music, whether you play with a pick or your fingers.

I played an Ibanez Soungear in a metal band a few years ago, and I vividly remember having to "reverse scoop" my active pickups to cut through the mix. The Ib's are great basses for all genres except metal.

The LTD's I've heard and played (my bassist plays a $1000 LTD) destroy.

I personally haven't played any Schecter basses, but the one guitar I've played by them was pretty nice...the stock pickups sounded great.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I have an ESP LTD 5 string bass. It's a good bass. Easy to play, looks nice and cuts through pretty well but I know there are better out there. I've had it for a few years now and haven't had to change the battery once for the active pickups. I'm beginning to get suspicious.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

I like Schecter's guitars a lot- haven't used their basses...I like Spectors a lot too, Warwick tone without the 60+ pounds of weight. :tup:
hello
Creampuff

Post by hello »

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/ ... 2911006585

Does anyone know how do these play? How do they compare to LTDs of that price range? I'm looking towards the eclipse and vipers.. And when a guitar goes through professional neck repair, will it play as well as other new guitars?

Thanks guys
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

With a Rick you shouldn't have any trouble being heard. They have a pretty obnoxious (in a good way) tone. I never understood why a bassist would ever scoop the mids out of their rig if they actually want to be heard. When I play fingerstyle I boost the low mids. When I play with a pick, I boost the upper mids instead. Cuts right through with a Jazz bass great.

You know, if you get sick of that Rick, you can always hand it off to your good pal, Pfloyd. :|):
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

what kind of band do you play in basspemy?
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Pflöyd wrote:With a Rick you shouldn't have any trouble being heard. They have a pretty obnoxious (in a good way) tone. I never understood why a bassist would ever scoop the mids out of their rig if they actually want to be heard. When I play fingerstyle I boost the low mids. When I play with a pick, I boost the upper mids instead. Cuts right through with a Jazz bass great.

You know, if you get sick of that Rick, you can always hand it off to your good pal, Pfloyd. :|):
It cuts through pretty well but it's like strapping a dead body to myself. It makes my back hurt after a while.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

DBS wrote:what kind of band do you play in basspemy?
I guess we're kind of a thrash outfit with some groove elements thrown in.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

i have a schecter stillhetto bass and it's fucking sweet
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Re: A few questions.

Post by Sir Dan »

BassPhemy wrote:How are Schecter guitars/basses? I've been looking into them and they appear well made and have a lot of good reviews. I've always shyed away from them since they were usually endorsed by people that weren't very talent inclined.
talking about guitars, they fucking own. And are "damn cheap" for the quality. I guess it's going to be the same with basses.
Are there any other bass guitar brands that are easy and comfortable to play on that I may not have thought of?
Music Man I think.
My Rickenbacker always slips into a horizontal position when I play it standing up with a strap. If I moved the rear strap pin higher on the bass (as in further away from the input jack) would that make it balance out closer to a 45 degree angle or would I be wasting my time?
No idea.
On my amp I have a 5 band EQ. I can't really get the sound I want and I'm always tweaking the knobs. Scooping only blends my bass sound into the rest of the band so I can't really be heard. I usually end up doing kind of a reverse-scoop with the mids higher than the lows and highs. Any suggestions or should I just upgrade my amp?
WHich amp is it, how many Watts does it have and what instruments does your band consist of?

It sounds like your amp get's drowned out by the guitarists bass and highs.
What amps do they use?

From what you mentioned up to now I'd say you need more power.
[img]http://70.84.190.115/6236/88/emo/eusa_think.gif[/img]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Sir Dan has a good point too. A lot of guitarists need to realize they don't need to set their amp's bass knob up full-bore.
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

I bought myself a Schecter Omen Extreme electric and it's great, I really like playing it and it sounds awesome considering the price it was (£260... about $500?) and it feels really well made too. I got it because I needed a decent hardtail electric for teaching guitar so I could change tunings and such rather than confuse begginers with the finer workings of the floyd system on my Ibanez.

But yeh. Schecter are def. worth looking into and owning.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

BassPhemy wrote:
have you recorded anything?
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Sir Dan wrote:It sounds like your amp get's drowned out by the guitarists bass and highs.
What amps do they use?

From what you mentioned up to now I'd say you need more power.
Two guitarists. One has a Randall head and Marshall cab and the other has a Marshall head (I think) and cab. Not sure how many watts they put out but I know one of them wants to get a Triple Rectifier. My amp puts out 400 watts. A lot of my bass gets lost in the bass drums also.

I guess I never really thought about everyone else working around eachother by turning down to let other people get a good sound. Silly mistake there. I guess I'm probably looking for an excuse to upgrade my rig anyway.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

DBS wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:
have you recorded anything?
We have some of our older stuff recorded poorly by me. All the songs we did we decided to trash and write all new stuff.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I'll just put this in this thread.

A guy on YouTube made an upright bass out of cardboard.

"i made this upright bass out of a cardboard box, scrap oak flooring, weedwhacker twine, and 2 spiggot handles as tuners."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6cTbaBApM4
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Anyone have any opinions on Conklin basses? They're known for those crazy 7 string basses and on their website they even have some 9 string basses but they also have some 4 strings that I hear good things about.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:Anyone have any opinions on Conklin basses? They're known for those crazy 7 string basses and on their website they even have some 9 string basses but they also have some 4 strings that I hear good things about.
One of my friends has a Conklin, I played it a few times and it plays nice.
The sound and feel is a bit like a cross between a Warwick and a Tobias.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I haven't tried as many basses as I wish I would have. When I go to Guitar Center there is usually some douchebag in the bass room with an amp turned up just loud enough so everyone in the store can hear the new Flea slap riff he learned for showing off at Guitar Center.
Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

BassPhemy wrote:
Two guitarists. One has a Randall head and Marshall cab and the other has a Marshall head (I think) and cab. Not sure how many watts they put out but I know one of them wants to get a Triple Rectifier. My amp puts out 400 watts. A lot of my bass gets lost in the bass drums also.

I guess I never really thought about everyone else working around eachother by turning down to let other people get a good sound. Silly mistake there. I guess I'm probably looking for an excuse to upgrade my rig anyway.
400 Watt, is it a Behringer?

That should usually be more than enough. There are Warwicks with 150 that cut through real good.
No in the bass drum it shouldn't be lost, since the bass drum has a punch and clicking tone most of all, except if you have an e-drum kit with a weird Bass drum sound.

You should consider it, they guitarists a bit lower, doesn't even have to be a lot.
[img]http://70.84.190.115/6236/88/emo/eusa_think.gif[/img]
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

if your going for a scooped sound, tell the guitarists to use more mids to fill up the frequency spectrum and lower the low's so that it doesnt sound like one big mess.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Sound/Cabinet wise Ive always thought, a 4x10 cab with a horn, and a single 15" is optimal ...4x10 w/o a horn vs a 4x10 with is like night and day...just thought id throw that out there.
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

Jefferino wrote:Sound/Cabinet wise Ive always thought, a 4x10 cab with a horn, and a single 15" is optimal ...4x10 w/o a horn vs a 4x10 with is like night and day...just thought id throw that out there.
I used to have 2 SWR 4x10's, and I'd run the horn all the way off in one of them. That cab got my distorted tones because I found that the horn added sizzle that I didn't want to hear. Distorted horns don't sound right to my ears. You can get the best of both worlds by splitting your signal & running one side clean w/ non-gain based effects and the other side dirty, w/ or w/out effects. If you have the means, I'd highly suggest trying this out. You'll send your guitar players whimpering back to their mom's tits.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

:tup:
Get killed.
Metalluthier
n0ob

Post by Metalluthier »

Shecter is crap......you get what you pay for, shitty enamel, porous woods clogged, and bad parts.....

Holocaust 247 - Requim for a Whore (2004) - 6 - Slavery (Victim March Mix).mp3 [192Kbps] (07:24)
"I am a man and I hold in my hand my fate"
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

the guitarist in my band plays through a line 6 half stack, I think it's 350 watts or so, my bass amp is only 210, and I am heard clear as day.

Get a Spector bass, BassPhemy. great basses if you're willing to shell out some cash. Mine was about 1500, best investment I've made as far as gear goes. Crushing lows, punchy mids and twangy highs, wouldn't have it any other way.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

the guitarist in my band plays through a line 6 half stack, I think it's 350 watts or so, my bass amp is only 210, and I am heard clear as day.

Get a Spector bass, BassPhemy. great basses if you're willing to shell out some cash. Mine was about 1500, best investment I've made as far as gear goes. Crushing lows, punchy mids and twangy highs, wouldn't have it any other way.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I think the next bass I'm going to buy is a Rick. :|):
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

i want me a rickebacker, they sound like fucking god
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

hektik wrote:the guitarist in my band plays through a line 6 half stack, I think it's 350 watts or so, my bass amp is only 210, and I am heard clear as day.

I'm planning on buying a Spector at some point, but right now, nor any time soon will I have two grand to shell out for the USA series. :|):
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Flying V's and Explorers makes cool guitars, but not basses.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Have you ever thought of doing a Musicman or a American P-Bass?
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

CFH Eternal wrote:Have you ever thought of doing a Musicman or a American P-Bass?
:tup:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've never really been a fan of the Fender. My friend's brother had a shitty Squire that I'd noodle on from time to time and now I can't help but associate the feel of that with all Fender basses.

I want a Music Man at some point just because they almost play themselves. I don't like the fact that they only have 21 frets, though. I don't play that high very often, but it is nice to have that option open.