Pantera is the 5th best metal band

Talk about anything Pantera related....
buck satan
Baldy

Pantera is the 5th best metal band

Post by buck satan »

according to MTV

http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/metal/greate ... dex6.jhtml
When they formed Pantera as teenagers, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and Vinnie Paul Abbott played melodic, Mötley Crüe-style songs that were nearly as flamboyant as their hairstyles. It wasn't until they added singer Phil Anselmo in 1987 that the Texas band started getting mean — and three years later, they found their voice with their second album with Anselmo, 1990's legendary Cowboys From Hell.

Despite its rather cheesy beginnings, the band metamorphosed into something few could have expected: Vicious and furious, the revitalized Pantera redefined heaviness with ripping thrash riffs, bludgeoning rhythms and Anselmo's caged-beast howls.

While never as musically diverse as Metallica, Pantera possessed two traits that made them innovators: a surging "power-groove" inspired by their Southern origins, and one of the best guitarists to ever to pick up an instrument. The late "Dimebag" Darrell's riffs were dense and devastating, and whether he was playing slow chugs or frenetic thrash, his style was instantly identifiable: shredding without wasting a note, and solos punctuated with squealing harmonics, queasy vibrato and ecstatic whammy-bar dives.

The members were just as in-your-face offstage as they were onstage, welcoming musicians and fans with open arms and open bottles, and engaging in the type of rock and roll revelry once enjoyed by their heroes in Kiss and Van Halen.

Between 1990 and 1996, Pantera remained consistently brutal and uncompromising, releasing four devastating studio albums and touring exhaustively, acting as standard-bearers at the height of alt-rock's popularity. But the years took their toll on the bandmembers, and a rift surfaced between the Abbott brothers on one side and Anselmo and bassist Rex Brown on the other. The group kept their personal differences at bay long enough to release a final studio disc, 2000's Reinventing the Steel. But soon after, it became clear that the gulf between the musicians had grown too wide, and Pantera broke up. Anselmo continued rocking in various groups, including Down and Superjoint Ritual, while Vinnie and Dime formed the crushing quartet Damageplan.

Tragically, a deranged fan ended Dime's life on December 7, 2004. And while nothing good came of that event, fans can find solace in the recordings Dime left behind, and the profound influence he's had on everyone from neo-thrashers Trivium to metalcore bands like Atreyu and Bleeding Through.

Cowboys From Hell (1990), A Vulgar Display of Power (1992), Far Beyond Driven (1994).

"Pantera combined the perfect amount of angst, musicianship, groove and heaviness. They waved the flag of metal for well over a decade when most 'heavy' bands were softening their sound to sell more records. Pantera helped saved metal from becoming completely contrived horsesh--. Every single real metal band on the planet today is influenced by Pantera in some shape or form." — Trevor Phipps, Unearth

"When I first heard Pantera, I was incredibly excited. Coming from the metal world, I was waiting and waiting for something to come blasting through the doors, and that's what they did. When I first heard Cowboys From Hell I thought, 'God, this is just awesome. We really need this type of sound and this type of attitude to shake things up.' In the history of rock and roll there have been an enormous number of bands that have come and gone, and the movers and shakers are the ones that are still significant. Pantera is one of those." — Rob Halford, Judas Priest

"The best thing about Pantera is they can do anything in their music, from the simplest to the most complex thing, and still be Pantera. For 'Walk,' it's pretty much two-and-a-half notes — and for two-and-a-half notes to make one of the heaviest riffs in metal ever, it shows they can be as minimalist as they want, and still be completely bludgeoning. And then they do extremely technical crazy sh-- like 'Domination.' Also, Pantera did the breakdown thing that's in all heavy music today long before anyone else thought of it. And Dimebag did all this shreddy stuff with so much feeling, it was incredible." — Corey Beaulieu, Trivium
Robert M ByrdFinally passed a math class after 8 tries in a 14 year period of going to college off and on.
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

excellent

Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Re: Pantera is the 5th best metal band

Post by Edna Bodine »

buck satan wrote:Anselmo's caged-beast howls
:lol:
Robert Hollis wrote:Me fucking around with women cost me my college education and also one of the women I was involved for awhile ended up killing herself because she was so depressed
EvilisthenewGood wrote:I know how time zones work.
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

If Dime hadn't died, Pantera would have been lucky to even make that list.

Now suddenly critics are falling head-over-heels to admit the impact.

Even so, in between Iron Maiden and Slayer sounds about accurate. :tup:
If you can't bench her, don't fuck her.
Bren
Grim

Re: Pantera is the 5th best metal band

Post by Bren »

buck satan wrote:according to MTV
:fu: :zzz: :jew:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

Why, thank you MTV. I'm glad Pantera can now go down in music history with the likes of Avenged Sevenfold.
Getcha Hate!
walnut
Far Beyond Driven

Post by walnut »

WTF was that writer smoking when he said Pantera weren't as musically diverse as Metallica??? Dimebag could play absolutely anything.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

walnut wrote:Dimebag could play absolutely anything.
O RLY?
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

walnut wrote:WTF was that writer smoking when he said Pantera weren't as musically diverse as Metallica??? Dimebag could play absolutely anything.
MTV.
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
tgstk2
Far Beyond Driven

Post by tgstk2 »

pantera > slayer
** Mr. Rackman **
http://www.freewebs.com/frust
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
cemetaryangel
Creampuff

Pan Fucking Tera

Post by cemetaryangel »

they should have been the number 1 band
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

tgstk2 wrote:pantera > slayer
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

Pantera = Metallica
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Jericho wrote:Pantera = Metallica
You = faggotfuck
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

This is such a fucking frustrating topic/thread. MTV rated Pantera #5?! Big fucking deal, this is coming from the network that caters to gold toothed bling bling, escalade driving, white girl raping, African Americans....Top 10's are gay anyway, 2 of the top 5 are 80's cock rock bands. Im suprised Led Zepplin wasn't number 1 like all the other hardrock/metal polls out there...
LET IT FUCKING GO.
Get killed.
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

Jefferino wrote:This is such a fucking frustrating topic/thread. .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
vulgarstrength
Mouth For War

Post by vulgarstrength »

Jericho wrote:Pantera = Metallica
Jericho=Papa Roach
[quote="BassPhemy"]Whoever doesn't love Ernest can just have a bleach sandwich.[/quote]

[quote="Dirty Sanchez"]dont know how and wouldnt do it if i knew how, go fuck yourself[/quote]
Bodom J
Lynch Mob

Post by Bodom J »

i'm pretty sure metallica paid MTV off so they would say pantera were never as diverse
Recommended listen:

Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: Construct
Song: What Only You Know
Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Post by Edna Bodine »

Metallica are more diverse than Pantera.
Robert Hollis wrote:Me fucking around with women cost me my college education and also one of the women I was involved for awhile ended up killing herself because she was so depressed
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

you'd have to be a fuckin sheep to say Pantera were more diverse than Metallica. I can give you several reasons why this is so
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Jericho wrote:you'd have to be a fuckin sheep to say Pantera were more diverse than Metallica. I can give you several reasons why this is so
Stop acting like your opinion matters.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Edna Bodine wrote:Metallica are more diverse than Pantera.
lolz
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

Lager wrote:
Jericho wrote:you'd have to be a fuckin sheep to say Pantera were more diverse than Metallica. I can give you several reasons why this is so
you'd have to be a fuckin sheep to say Pantera were more diverse than Metallica. I can give you several reasons why this is so :roll:
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Wtf?
lolz
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

Those crotch bobbers only did that shit to get "metalheads" watching MTV again. It's been a lost demograph since 1989.
Last edited by walking_ash on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getcha Hate!
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

Jericho wrote: I can give you several reasons why this is so
we're waiting

oh wait, you meant diversity in the Lars + Kirk touching each other sense :zzz:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

whiskey in the jarrooooo
Getcha Hate!
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

Jericho wrote:
Lager wrote:
you'd have to be a fuckin sheep to say Pantera were more diverse than Metallica. I can give you several reasons why this is so :roll:
your posts would be much more effective if you did explain :tup:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Post by Edna Bodine »

Come on. Calling them "more diverse" is different than calling them "better." Pantera whups Metallica, but Pantera's scope was narrower than, for instance, "Damage, Inc" compared to "Mama Said."
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I agree. Pantera just refined their sound and made it better and more effective. Metallica tried to broaden out but due to their limited talent failed.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

dead forever wrote:I agree. Pantera just refined their sound and made it better and more effective. Metallica tried to broaden out but due to their limited talent failed.
If by broaden out you mean sell out then yes
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Lager wrote:
dead forever wrote:I agree. Pantera just refined their sound and made it better and more effective. Metallica tried to broaden out but due to their limited talent failed.
If by broaden out you mean sell out then yes
Yes!
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

Lager wrote:
If by broaden out you mean become gay washed up fags obsessed with making money, destroying their credibility and concentrating on reaching anally stimulated 12 year olds then yes
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

DBS wrote:
Lager wrote:
If by broaden out you mean become gay washed up fags obsessed with making money, destroying their credibility and concentrating on reaching anally stimulated 12 year olds then yes
I'd love to anally stimulate a 12 year old girl!
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

oh fuck snap!

shit actually id like to snap 12 year old girls too.

what was my point?
Spoke In The Fuckin wheel
I will fuck you up

Post by Spoke In The Fuckin wheel »

I think age caught up with Metallica, back in 1993.
" Tighten It Up" Dimebag.
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

"The name says it. They really brought the speed thing to the forefront when they came out, and they've been doing it for 25-plus years. They're the real deal, man. Master of Puppets was the greatest record they ever made. It was when they were at the top of their game, and wrote the best songs they ever wrote. I love it, start to finish — every song. Everybody knew they were the big dog on the block, and they never had to watch out for anybody. We [Pantera] were the only band that ever really got close to achieving what they did. They were a band to measure your accomplishments by." — Vinnie Paul, Pantera/ Damageplan
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

buck satan browsing mtv.com... :lll:
vinchenz
Cowboy From Hell

Post by vinchenz »

:zzz: