VINNIE PAUL On Today's Music Scene

Talk about anything Pantera related....
Jericho
Mouth For War

VINNIE PAUL On Today's Music Scene

Post by Jericho »

Bob Howard of Synthesis.net recently conducted an interview with former PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN drummer Vinnie Paul. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

Synthesis.net: I love that "DimeVision" video. I was laughing so hard that my face hurts today.

Vinnie Paul: "That's what it's supposed to do. It's all part of the healing process. I thought it was gonna be really difficult to make, when we first undertook the chore, and it really just helped me a lot and put a big big smile on my face and it really is a great tribute to my brother. You've seen it so you know it features his stellar guitar playing and him cutting up like nobody else could. He was the king of that shit."

Synthesis.net: It's amazing. I loved hearing you guys playing those old covers, OZZY and METALLICA, and him just tearing those solos up harder than the originals.

Vinnie Paul: "Those are the things that inspired us. Bands that come out today they never get an opportunity to cover that kind of ground. They just immediately start writing their own songs whether they know how to write songs, play their instruments or anything else. With a band like us, back in the day, we spent seven years in night clubs playing cover tunes and I mean we knew our instruments inside and out, we knew the stage inside and out, we knew everything, and that's one of the reasons that we were such a powerful band when we finally hit the scene."

Synthesis.net: One of the parts that really moved me in "DimeVision" was towards the end when Darrell is talking with the camera, and he's talking about organic music with the mistakes and everything is what kind of makes it so special and so unique. This album ["Rebel Meets Rebel"] really has that feel, it doesn't seem like you were going for technical perfection.

Vinnie Paul: "What he says there is so true. Today's music is just its all mechanized, its all ProTools'd up, it's all made perfect. If you listen to the older music: STONES, PRIEST, VAN HALEN, ZEPPELIN, it's all real. The mistakes are really just the feel sometimes, and what's happening. Same thing with this record, we slammed, and we played pretty tight anyway, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to make it sound like a machine which is what most metal records sound like. The bass the drums the guitar, they all punctuate together, juh-juhn, juh-juh-juhn, juh-juh-juhn, you know, everything hits, and it's a powerhouse, and with this kind of music it had a lot more of like a ROLLING STONES vibe where everybody could really just play what they wanted to and it was wide open. Perfection was not important."

Synthesis.net: I love the fact that you guys keep talking about music with an open mind. I saw that interview with DAMAGEPLAN, and you guys talked about broadening your musical spectrum. It just seems important to you.

Vinnie Paul: "Yeah, we just didn't want to be limited. We always felt like as musicians that we could play more and have more to us than just a total balls-out metal side. I mean, we love the metal, we love the balls-out, but there's something there that is great when you have dynamics and some nice melodic passages and then you hit with a bunch of power and strength. Me and Dime were always just fans of music in general. It didn't matter who was coming to town, if DURAN DURAN's coming through we wanted to go see 'em, and the next night we could be at a SLAYER show. We just like music.

Synthesis.net: What are you looking for with Big Vin Records?

Vinnie Paul: "Yeah, man, anyone can send me CD's or demos or whatever they have at www.bigvinrecords.com. There's an address on there to send the stuff to. I'm looking for something that stands out like a sore thumb. Like I said earlier, something that looks different, sounds different, is different, has a different philosophy, something that's just out there. Something that might be a new trend in music. 'Cause it is rather stagnant right now. There's a lot of corporate shit out there, but the individualism is kind of gone. Every record company's looking for the next LINKIN PARK, or whatever's big right now and that just kind of fucking waters it all down."
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

"Synthesis.net: One of the parts that really moved me in "DimeVision" was towards the end when Darrell is talking with the camera, and he's talking about organic music with the mistakes and everything is what kind of makes it so special and so unique. This album ["Rebel Meets Rebel"] really has that feel, it doesn't seem like you were going for technical perfection".
I agree with this
lolz
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

dead forever wrote:
Jericho wrote:
dead forever wrote:By the way, i forgot to say, I dont mind answering questions about bass, if you play. The odd question, not constant.
I do play, and I would appreciate learning a few tips and shit from you.
I'll take your word for it and catch up later, thanks man :tup:
Jericho wrote:
dead forever wrote:Listen man, I like to give conflicting information about who I actually am on this board, because in the past I got alot of hassle from new posters which resulted in me requesting alf to restart the board, (ask about the board crash 2 years ago, no one knows why it happened, now YOU do, but keep your mouth shut. ) Anyway your starting to irritate me by tailing me in posts and I can get your ass banned, if your going to Pm me make sure its just semi respectable questions, you want to know anything about the band I'll tell you. 2 ground rules, Dont ask anything about my family, and dont ask anything about where I live. Finally keep your mouth shut, because I dont want my name plastered all over this board like last time.

R
fuck man, whatever you say, I just wanted to be sure.
You're one of my favorite bassists there ever was :tup:

I won't annoy the fuck out of you anymore
Jericho wrote:Been pm'ing with Lager, you are the fucking man :tup:
Lager wrote:rom: Jericho
To: Lager
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:52 pm
Subject: Re: Lager Quote message
Lager wrote:
Maybe he's just jealous of you, you seem to get a lot more respect on the board than he does.

seriously :? :lol:

Respect should be given were respect is fuckin due, no one on this board has anything on him. He should be site admin or something, to hell wih Alfie he wasn't the one who played alongside Dime. :tup:

:lll:
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

dead forever wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Jericho wrote:
dead forever wrote:By the way, i forgot to say, I dont mind answering questions about bass, if you play. The odd question, not constant.
I do play, and I would appreciate learning a few tips and shit from you.
I'll take your word for it and catch up later, thanks man :tup:
Jericho wrote:
dead forever wrote:Listen man, I like to give conflicting information about who I actually am on this board, because in the past I got alot of hassle from new posters which resulted in me requesting alf to restart the board, (ask about the board crash 2 years ago, no one knows why it happened, now YOU do, but keep your mouth shut. ) Anyway your starting to irritate me by tailing me in posts and I can get your ass banned, if your going to Pm me make sure its just semi respectable questions, you want to know anything about the band I'll tell you. 2 ground rules, Dont ask anything about my family, and dont ask anything about where I live. Finally keep your mouth shut, because I dont want my name plastered all over this board like last time.

R
fuck man, whatever you say, I just wanted to be sure.
You're one of my favorite bassists there ever was :tup:

I won't annoy the fuck out of you anymore
Jericho wrote:Been pm'ing with Lager, you are the fucking man :tup:
Lager wrote:rom: Jericho
To: Lager
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:52 pm
Subject: Re: Lager Quote message
Lager wrote:
Maybe he's just jealous of you, you seem to get a lot more respect on the board than he does.

seriously :? :lol:

Respect should be given were respect is fuckin due, no one on this board has anything on him. He should be site admin or something, to hell wih Alfie he wasn't the one who played alongside Dime. :tup:

:lll:
Wow.
If you can't bench her, don't fuck her.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

:lol: :lol: its funny everytime, priceless.
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

ok ok, don't fucking milk it
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Jericho wrote:ok ok, don't fucking milk it
Owned :lol: :lol:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Its ok I like to alternate it with this
Jericho wrote:who likes them? favorite album/song

Getting Away with Murder is ace :tup:
Definitely their best album to date and probably one of the best albums of the year. Papa Roach have matured for the better and ditched the rapping. :tup:
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

:lol:
lolz
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

im going to send vinnie a tape of me sleeping, taking a shit, and masturbating.
Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

Dimevision probably was the biggest disappointment...ever

god it fucking sucked, not even watching it wasted is enjoyable
som en grop fylld av blinda hundar som äter sin egen avföring. en avgrund där stanken är så tät att man inte kan andas.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Bukkake Tsunami wrote:im going to send vinnie a tape of me sleeping, taking a shit, and masturbating.
I agree
lolz
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

Eibon wrote:Dimevision probably was the biggest disappointment...ever

why is that? i was going to buy it. i watched home video 3 last night and it inspired me to get drunk go out and buy dimevision.
Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Well I bought my copy for $9 at bull moose music, and if I didnt rule, it would only be a cheap loss :tup:
lolz
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Revolver wrote::lol: :lol: its funny everytime, priceless.
Yeah, that was a good day. :lol:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
Porch Monkey
Creampuff

Post by Porch Monkey »

Had the chance to meet Vinnie @ The Cathouse a couple months ago while on tour. Very cool guy. Got a great club too!!!!!!
Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Post by Edna Bodine »

Bukkake Tsunami wrote:im going to send vinnie a tape of me sleeping, taking a shit, and masturbating.
send me that shit, i'll release it. :tup:
Robert Hollis wrote:Me fucking around with women cost me my college education and also one of the women I was involved for awhile ended up killing herself because she was so depressed
EvilisthenewGood wrote:I know how time zones work.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

Bukkake Tsunami wrote:

why is that? i was going to buy it. i watched home video 3 last night and it inspired me to get drunk go out and buy dimevision.
1. Dime didn't cut it...and someone tried waaay to hard to cut the videos like Dime and completely missed the point...it's fucking shit.

2. There's no good riffing and good music in it...it's mainly fucking guitar masturbation sometimes for like 6 minutes.

3. It tries to mimic the Pantera homevideos but on tour with Damageplan seems fucking boring, and the stuff dime does at home is boring.

4. Damageplan sucks enormous balls

I suggest not seeing it at all ever...it was a mistake.
som en grop fylld av blinda hundar som äter sin egen avföring. en avgrund där stanken är så tät att man inte kan andas.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Eibon wrote:
Bukkake Tsunami wrote:

1. Dime didn't cut it...and someone tried waaay to hard to cut the videos like Dime and completely missed the point...it's fucking shit.

2. There's no good riffing and good music in it...it's mainly fucking guitar masturbation sometimes for like 6 minutes.

3. It tries to mimic the Pantera homevideos but on tour with Damageplan seems fucking boring, and the stuff dime does at home is boring.

4. Damageplan sucks enormous balls

I suggest not seeing it at all ever...it was a mistake.

:zzz: Ignore this moron

"no good riffing, guitar masturbation"

Bullshit, Dimes solo spot ruled, any guitarist who enjoys playing guitar would love that. And remember, dime was a GUITARIST, yes heres a hint, a video called DIMEvision may feature some guitar playing, funnily enough because thats what made him famous.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

It's just boring...if you're expecting homevideo greatness you're in for a major disappointment. And a 5 minute solo aint good guitar...it's boring as fuck. But if you're intrested in that shit i guess it's informative to watch.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

And it was poorly put together by someone who probably was a bit retarded. Felt like something a fan on this board might have done with bootleg footage, pictures, a shit editing program and no skills.

I just think it blew :tdown:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I have a 10 minute guitar solo by dime , the same solo he plays on that,or most of it, and its fucking excellent . You dont know shit.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

guitar masturbation at 1000mph just aint my thing....which is why i think Slaughtered is the damn finest pantera song ever :tup:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Well obviously your opinion sucks because clearly it is not.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

It is

Dimevision is to the homevideos what Damageplan is to Pantera
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

but whatever, if you're a guitarfag then it probably rules....i'm not so i don't like it

the end
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

it seems to me that vinnie seems to contradict himself quite a bit. Like he says about how music should have all sorts of istakes in it to be 'organic,' but Pantera CDs were some of the tightest, most well produced albums ever.

And when he says that bands should be different ("something that looks different, sounds different, is different, has a different philosophy") he does it again. if he thinks that bands should be unique, why should they take the same approach to music as Pantera did? (" Bands that come out today they never get an opportunity to cover that kind of ground. They just immediately start writing their own songs whether they know how to write songs, play their instruments or anything else. With a band like us, back in the day, we spent seven years in night clubs playing cover tunes")

maybe i'm nitpicking but anything Vinnie says doesn't seem to hold any ground. he doesn't seem to know good music anymore and has lost a lot of respectability. i think that the failure that was damageplan and the stuff vinnie said after dime died has contributed to this, but i just don't care about what he says any more.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

DBS wrote:i just don't care about what he says any more.
:tup:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Dont get me wrong I think Vinnies been a little bit of a Douche, while he sits and sifts through old material, Rex and Phil are out there playing and about to record new shit. At the same time the guy did lose a brother, it takes a long time to get over that.
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

i kinda like how he talks shit about modern metal when their band tried to sound exactly like that.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

Eibon wrote:i kinda like how he talks shit about modern metal when their band tried to sound exactly like that.
although i think every other post you made in this thread was fucking gay and your a cock wrenching faggot, this post is true
Suck me
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

dead forever wrote:Dont get me wrong I think Vinnies been a little bit of a Douche, while he sits and sifts through old material, Rex and Phil are out there playing and about to record new shit. At the same time the guy did lose a brother, it takes a long time to get over that.
that's the one and only sensible thing you've ever said
DBS wrote:i think that the failure that was damageplan and the stuff vinnie said after dime died has contributed to this, but i just don't care about what he says any more.
I agree :tup:
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Jericho wrote:
dead forever wrote:Dont get me wrong I think Vinnies been a little bit of a Douche, while he sits and sifts through old material, Rex and Phil are out there playing and about to record new shit. At the same time the guy did lose a brother, it takes a long time to get over that.
DBS wrote:i think that the failure that was damageplan and the stuff vinnie said after dime died has contributed to this, but i just don't care about what he says any more.
STFU
Suck me
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

stop trailing me in threads you full blown faggot
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Jericho wrote:stop trailing me in threads you full blown faggot
Stop trying to brainwash me with your faggot words you fucking cock slopper
Suck me
anty
I will fuck you up

Post by anty »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:
Jericho wrote:stop trailing me in threads you full blown faggot
Stop trying to brainwash me with your faggot words you fucking cock slopper
so did you ever get over your moms attempted homicide?
"What do these deer think when they see you coming?"

only interested in three things: the best place to eat, having sex and how quickly they can run away. Much like the French."
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:
Jericho wrote:
STFU
Roz
Magically Seditious

Post by Roz »

you don't have to capitalize his name just because he was in Pantera.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

PhilCore wrote:you don't have to capitalize his name just because he was in Pantera.
VINNIE PAUL is actually an acronym.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
VinniePaul
Creampuff

Post by VinniePaul »

DBS wrote:
PhilCore wrote:you don't have to capitalize his name just because he was in Pantera.
VINNIE PAUL is actually an acronym.
:tup:
Oh and this interview is taken out of context.
Half of it I just told them to write whatever they thought I would say.
I will never talk to Phil Anselmo again.