Amp recommendation

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Ben
fuckyeah

Amp recommendation

Post by Ben »

Peavey 5150 vs Peavey XXX vs Laney VH100R

for death metal.

go.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

6505+
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Oh death metal you say, hmm. Peavy XXX looks really cool for death metal. The diamond plate exterior is sure to invoke shear terror.

If I were to buy an amp, today, for any style of music, I'd get a Spider II. http://www.line6.com/spiderii/212.html
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

to actually answer your question if you want a straight up brutal sound. Just get the 5150, trust me you will like it.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

go for the crate blue voodoo!
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Gnarkiller wrote:go for the crate blue voodoo!
:lol:
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Ben, just go and get a 5150 already :lol:

You've been fucking about with this amp choice for about 2 years now!
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

haha, get a 5150 and Tubescreamer, Awesome metal tone right ther'!
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

scrotal_tug wrote:Ben, just go and get a 5150 already :lol:

haha, I hate spending money!

I actually wound up going with the XXX. Got it for 650. I went with it over the standard 5150 b/c it has an active eq on the distortion channels, whereas the 5150 has passive. Our other guitarist has an original 5150 and had to put an eq in front of it to get it to sound crunchy. I REALLY wanted a 5150 II, which has active, but the only ones on ebay were all going for 800+.

And to the guy that said put a tube screamer in front of the 5150....... :lol: Who the fuck buys a nice tube amp and then uses a distortion pedal?

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Ben wrote:
scrotal_tug wrote:Ben, just go and get a 5150 already :lol:

haha, I hate spending money!

I actually wound up going with the XXX. Got it for 650. I went with it over the standard 5150 b/c it has an active eq on the distortion channels, whereas the 5150 has passive. Our other guitarist has an original 5150 and had to put an eq in front of it to get it to sound crunchy. I REALLY wanted a 5150 II, which has active, but the only ones on ebay were all going for 800+.

And to the guy that said put a tube screamer in front of the 5150....... :lol: Who the fuck buys a nice tube amp and then uses a distortion pedal?
The TS9 fucking rules that's why.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

You're missing the point. You don't spend a shitload of money on a nice head which has better distortion and then put a distortion pedal in front of it. If you love the way the ts9 sounds, you're wasting money by powering it with a 5150. Get a decent solid state, a good eq, and you can get just as mediocre of a tone as you could otherwise for far less :tup:

scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

A lot of people use TS-9's these with their high-gain amps these days!

Not for the full distortion, but for a bit more 'ooomph'. Apparently it gives it more chunk & more defined picking.

I know Andy Sneap uses them on more or less all his productions & the Killswitch guys use them religiously (Love them or hate them, their tone is slick!)
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

scrotal_tug wrote:A lot of people use TS-9's these with their high-gain amps these days!

Not for the full distortion, but for a bit more 'ooomph'. Apparently it gives it more chunk & more defined picking.

I know Andy Sneap uses them on more or less all his productions & the Killswitch guys use them religiously (Love them or hate them, their tone is slick!)
Word :tup:
Suck me
War_Nerve116
Creampuff

Post by War_Nerve116 »

Aeon wrote:6505+
:tup:
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Well, I got the XXX. It came with EL34s, so I swapped em out for 6l6's, and....holy shit. In a 2 guitar band, the XXX and the 5150 compliment each other SO fucking well. Our guitar tone is sick now. Can't wait to use them live (this sunday) :tup:

DJImmortal
Creampuff

Post by DJImmortal »

I use a Peavey MAX112 practice amp for my bass.
Chaosphere
Creampuff

Post by Chaosphere »

Neither. If you want a badass deathmetal amp get an Ampeg vh140c.
Ben wrote:You're missing the point. You don't spend a shitload of money on a nice head which has better distortion and then put a distortion pedal in front of it.
You don't really use them as a distortion pedal. They're used as a boost for tube heads to drive the tubes harder into metal territory. They can also act like eqs and shape your distortion differently.

You don't have to add dirt. You can use a clean boost to overdrive your tubes and tighten up that shit.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity -- Edgar Allan Poe
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Oooooh, learn something new every day. :tup:

Sir Dan
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Sir Dan »

Get the 6505.
Then again this one hasn't got a clean channell...
It should serve you well.