Distortion pedals

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Distortion pedals

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

I use to post on this board a while ago and then my computer crashed... I just got a new one and i am glad to be able to post on here again and get some feedback from some other musicians worldwide.. Anyway,

I have a Randall RG 200 (Pretty cheap amp but affordable) i got a 4x12 cab and an 1x15 2x12 cab fullstack and i was wondering what would be the best metal distortion for it. I like the Dimebag sound and i also like the sound of KillSwitchEngage..i dont want to duplicate their sound i just want to have a good metal tone with some bottom end and some hi gain sound as well. I have been looking on musicians friend at some of the Pedals but i can't keep buying them and sending them back if i don't like them you know what i mean? Thx for the help
Suck me
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Does the amp only have one channel?
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Croninburg, no the amp has two channels a clean and a distortion channel, it also has two stages of gain but the second one sucks....the sound of the amp is ok, but not really over the top and chunky like i want it
Suck me
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Change your equalisation (?) so that your high and low are up to 10 and your middle is right down to 0. Try that.
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

trust me...you can distortion pedal shop your ass in two and it won't do you any good if you haven't found it by now. if your amp blows, it blows. get a new amp
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Yeah Revolver i have Eq'd the Amp like that, i am pretty good when it comes to dialing in a distortion on an amp....but you know, i need more! The amp itself just can't put out the sound i need, and i am a little strapped for cash, so i am thinking i need a distortion pedal and i was wondering what you guys would suggest
Suck me
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Fair enough.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Well i have heard that many amps don't come with a bad ass distortion, out have to beef them up.....im pretty fucking poor , thats why i got the Randall, but its a full stack and its pretty decent, i just need something to help me push it over the top ...i havn't tried any distortion pedals yet, and i hoped some of you knew of some good ones.
Suck me
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

get rid of the rh200 and get the rh100. it has surprisingly great distortion. or save up and get a nice, used tube amp head.

Revolver wrote:Change your equalisation (?) so that your high and low are up to 10 and your middle is right down to 0. Try that.
hahaha, you're fucking retarded.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Ben wrote:get rid of the rh200 and get the rh100. it has surprisingly great distortion. or save up and get a nice, used tube amp head.

Revolver wrote:Change your equalisation (?) so that your high and low are up to 10 and your middle is right down to 0. Try that.
No.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

HAHA i didn't want to start a fight, im just a musician looking for an some opinions. i guess ill just have to try some different pedals out if nobody has any suggestions on a good one
Suck me
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Yeah, you are. If this kid is playing anywhere other than his fucking bedroom, scooping out all the mids is going to make his guitar tone fucking blow.

and treble and bass up to 10? on a half stack at reasonable volume? you're showing your inexperience right there.

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Ben wrote:Yeah, you are. If this kid is playing anywhere other than his fucking bedroom, scooping out all the mids is going to make his guitar tone fucking blow.

and treble and bass up to 10? on a half stack at reasonable volume? you're showing your inexperience right there.
It sounds good to me. I have my own preferences. So don't judge accordingly as you haven't heard it. But good assumption in itself.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Revolver wrote:
Ben wrote:Yeah, you are. If this kid is playing anywhere other than his fucking bedroom, scooping out all the mids is going to make his guitar tone fucking blow.

It sounds good to me. I have my own preferences. So don't judge accordingly as you haven't heard it. But good assumption in itself.
Then your preferences are crap. Every single one of those metal bands you idolize would laugh at your "preferences of tone."

Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Ben wrote:
Revolver wrote:

Then your preferences are crap. Every single one of those metal bands you idolize would laugh at your "preferences of tone."
Probably. But then again, why should i care if i have a crap rig? Its the heaviest, crunching sound i can get out my amp.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

I play Hevy Metal Music... so you think the XXX is heavy enough to hold its own, if i keep my two randall cabs and sell the randall head and the marshall head?
Suck me
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:I play Hevy Metal Music... so you think the XXX is heavy enough to hold its own, if i keep my two randall cabs and sell the randall head and the marshall head?
I haven't played one at stage volume, but from what I've heard when others played it, yeah. Personally, though, I'd go for the 5150 setup that I talked about in the other thread.

Keep in mind that the quality of your cabinet, its speakers, and what the cab itself is made out of will also affect your tone. I'm partial to Celestions, myself.

BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I bought a Boss EQ pedal and ran it through my effects loop in my shitty 65 watt Marshall. It turned the shitty built-in Marshall distortion into a better distortion than I could have dreamed of. When I had it I scooped the mids and boosted the lows and highs and it sounded great for what I used it for, which was writing riffs and entertaining myself.

I gave it to my friend a couple years ago and he still uses it with his half stack. Granted he uses different settings on it, but it still sounds great.

I need to buy a new one.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:I bought a Boss EQ pedal and ran it through my effects loop in my shitty 65 watt Marshall. It turned the shitty built-in Marshall distortion into a better distortion than I could have dreamed of. When I had it I scooped the mids and boosted the lows and highs and it sounded great for what I used it for, which was writing riffs and entertaining myself.

I gave it to my friend a couple years ago and he still uses it with his half stack. Granted he uses different settings on it, but it still sounds great.

I need to buy a new one.
For bass distortion I use a Boss Overdrive pedal, it works well for the few songs I use distortion on. Both the guitarists in my band suggested it, and say thats what they used in the "old days" before they got Line 6 and Mesa heads. (which by the way, the mesa duel rec, he complains is tough to get a good clean sound, but is a crunchy distortion monster)
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

We're not talking Bass distortion.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

BassPhemy wrote:We're not talking Bass distortion.
I know, thats why I said that both of my guitarists used the overdrive pedal also. It is a cheaper alternative. I beleive that's what he was looking for.

If not, my bad.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I used the DOD Grunge pedal for a few years and thought that it did an okay job on distortion. If you are not into DOD stuff then check out the Metal Zone pedal. It has a 3 or 4 band eq along with all of the gain you could ever want. A guitarist in an old band of mine used to play it thought a Peavy Transtube amp of somesort. He had some wickid tones going on.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Just get a good head. Distortion pedals just don't cut it.

Chris
I will fuck you up

Post by Chris »

Revolver wrote:
Ben wrote:get rid of the rh200 and get the rh100. it has surprisingly great distortion. or save up and get a nice, used tube amp head.

No.

yes.
dirtbag
Creampuff

Post by dirtbag »

7dime, i had the same problem, i didnt want to spend a lot on a head, but i wanted amazing distortion... which presented a huge problem; the cheaper the head the cheaper the distortion. I bought a Rocktron Metal Planet distortion and it fucking annihilates anything in its path. You can get pretty much any distortion imaginable... But if you arent looking for pedals save your money man, itll be worth it. I went through 4 heads before i found the one just right for me.
To get a dime-ish/crunchy distorion
I suggest to either boost the highs and lows and suck out the mids or keep the highs high, lows low, and mids middle. turn the gain up moderately high and if your amp has a "sweep" control fuck around with that until you get what you like.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

sansamp gt2 or classic
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

dirtbag wrote: boost the highs and lows and suck out the mids.
Go right ahead buddy, you do that. Anyone who knows where the bear shit in the buckwheat will tell you that you are killing your tone and that you probably play in your bedroom or basement. Your mids knob is probably at 0 and the shaft of the pot pulled out with some pliers.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

TK wrote:
dirtbag wrote: boost the highs and lows and suck out the mids.
Go right ahead buddy, you do that. Anyone who knows where the bear shit in the buckwheat will tell you that you are killing your tone and that you probably play in your bedroom or basement. Your mids knob is probably at 0 and the shaft of the pot pulled out with some pliers.
Thanks for repeating the same exact thing somebody else already said. You are truely an inspiration for inbred redneck white trash everywhere.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

It also depends on what type of guitar you're playing through, pickups etc....I would definitely look into a eq pedal, maybe a compressor pedal, I have the Randall RH250G2 and its pretty ballsy...But I do agree, it seems to lack something.....can't put my finger on it, but I dig the distortion on it....try fucking with your contour a little more too I have mine set at about 1 o'clock and that works for me.
Get killed.