Help on Soloing? ? ?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Help on Soloing? ? ?

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

hey i've been playing for about a year, and am really into pantera, im 13 and i am decent-pretty good on soloing. But i need help. i can play 5 minutes alone which is easy, i am a quick learner but i just need help on technique. I tried looking at scales and shit but it only got me confused. im self-taught and just need some lessons or help on how to improve.

-uncontrollable double picking at a higher speed, (i can double pick fast but its not like i can control it much really.)

-what sounds good what doesn't scales? ?

websites, pointers, hints any shit like that would help. Anything to practice double picking on most of dime's solos where he does it on like 4 strings.

thanks.

R.I.P Dimebag
you know sometimes i wonder..
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

rest in peace indeed. dime was a great man and he'd be proud of you. the fact that he is your inspiration pays homage to the legend himself. i've been soloing for over a decade now, so i know how to play the guitar. it's very difficult to express in words how to solo - it should be your own style and you should play what feels comfortable to YOU. however, i have produced a series of tutorials which other members of the board will validate to prove they are very helpful. they run from beginner through to expert and are completely free. just click on these links and find out for yourself how helpful i am.

beginner.

www.dbstutorials.com/beginner9opl_w

amateur.

www.dbstutorials.com/amateur_Iok

expert.

www.dbstutorials.com/expert_ldsa

hope these help! keep rocking!!
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

fuck, i just got lemonpartied! i've done it to so many people already i guess it was time somebody finally got me.
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

hahah good one DBS but really though, i didn't focus that much on scales (even though my friends bitch at me about it) and i just played what sounded good, cause to me thats what music is. if you just started, i gotta say learn the basic scales (cyberfret.com is great) just to get the feelin of em and to help with alternate picking (i do use scales nowadays to get the feel of the positions in blues improv) so nowadays i have played the positions so many times (focus on pentatonics first for metal) that when i go to improv something, i dont gotta sit there for hours thinking of what scale to use and waht scale to break into, i can just play something. so in summary, learn scales at beginning, practice a little bit with metronome, then try to improv simple little things, and work on it. and once you master em, you'll be able to shred nicely like my man rusty cooley.
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

DBS wrote:rest in peace indeed. dime was a great man and he'd be proud of you. the fact that he is your inspiration pays homage to the legend himself. i've been soloing for over a decade now, so i know how to play the guitar. it's very difficult to express in words how to solo - it should be your own style and you should play what feels comfortable to YOU. however, i have produced a series of tutorials which other members of the board will validate to prove they are very helpful. they run from beginner through to expert and are completely free. just click on these links and find out for yourself how helpful i am.

beginner.

amateur.

expert.

that is the sickest fucking shit i have ever been tricked into seeing in my goddamn life. what the hell man. what the hell.. :no:
KC-04
Far Beyond Driven

Post by KC-04 »

:lol:
S
Interloper

Re: Help on Soloing? ? ?

Post by S »

Shred-Dimebag wrote:(i can double pick fast but its not like i can control it much really.)
that's because you have little girl hands. if you ever become a man you'l be able to solo.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

that shit was McNasty

double pick!? do you mean alternate picking?
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

DBS wrote:rest in peace indeed. dime was a great man and he'd be proud of you. the fact that he is your inspiration pays homage to the legend himself. i've been soloing for over a decade now, so i know how to play the guitar. it's very difficult to express in words how to solo - it should be your own style and you should play what feels comfortable to YOU. however, i have produced a series of tutorials which other members of the board will validate to prove they are very helpful. they run from beginner through to expert and are completely free. just click on these links and find out for yourself how helpful i am.

beginner.

amateur.

expert.

:aargh: :lol:
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

beginner.

:fur:

amateur.

expert.

[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

yea i've been playin for a while now and im startin to get alot better, playin walk solo is just fuckin awesome. i guess practice is the best, i've been recording mouth for war and shit on ntrack, maybe ill post some shit on here when i feel like it.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Buy troy stetina's "Speed mechanics for lead guitar" and practice it all the way thru. It is sometimes hard to give up on a book, but if you stick with it you will be very happy you did in the long run.

Very good book. Amazon.com or Musiciansfriend.com has it.
So see if a parent can order it for you if you dont have a credit or debit card of your own.
You might also like dimebag darrell's riffer madness.
I just suggest to get the troy stetina book asap. :tup:
Good luck.