Where were you when you heard the news?

Leave your thoughts, wishes, memories, art, or anything else here.
hellbound
Creampuff

Post by hellbound »

I woke up to text message from my friend who said that dimebag was dead. I wrote him back telling him to quit joking which he replied that he was serious. I called him and he told me what he had heard so I got on the internet and looked it up. Sure enough it was true. Watched CNN and looked up updates all day. Shitty day all around.
SO WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT
THAT'S WHEN IT TAKES EFFECT
A TRAGIC TWIST TO ALTER FATE
Dimebag Darrell 1966-2004
Hjs2
I'm Gay

Post by Hjs2 »

this thread sucks. who gives a shit where people where when they heard.
CrazyNinjaMunky
Creampuff

Post by CrazyNinjaMunky »

I was just sitting down at my computer....and I had some Pantera playing on media player.....ironically enough it was Cemetary Gates...which has been my favorite song for years. I went and opened my home page and saw the headline on yahoo.com "Ex-Pantera Guitarist Slain" or something like that...I was just kind of...at a loss for words...as well as anything else...I couldnt fucking believe it. And what made it hit even harder was the fact that only a few weeks before I was able to meet and talk with him outside of the Damageplan/Shadow's Fall show in Milwaukee....and that plus the combination of the song I was listening to at the time just made it worse
It took me a few days to really cope with it. When I went to work the next day I had trouble concentrating on what I had to do because I just kept thinking about the whole thing
Terrible week all around

Hjs2 wrote:this thread sucks. who gives a shit where people where when they heard.
dude.....fuck :fu: you...what is the purpose of coming into a forum just to post some stupid insensitive thing like that.....obviously some one does care otherwise this post wouldnt be here...would it?...genious plus im sure it was just out of curiosity anyway to ask that question of people
And plus....its just a way for people to express themselves about it a bit
I bet you'd say the same thing if someone asked where you were on 9/11
Think a little bit next time you lousy fucking piece of ignorant shit
With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, Dime will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! - Vinnie
xxx_viola_xxx
Trendkiller

Post by xxx_viola_xxx »

Hjs2 wrote:this thread sucks. who gives a shit where people where when they heard.
This is one of those events that you never forget where you were or who you were with and shit like that. Like 9/11... We all know where we were the exact moment when they announced the news....
:no:
Got shit on
Pissed on
Spit on
Stepped on
Fucked with
Pointed at by lesser men
FUBAR
Grass God

Post by FUBAR »

I was playing Halo 2 and looking at the Lamb of God bb, someone from Ohio whos friend was at the show had just phoned him and told him, he posted about it, musta been 10 minutes after it happened, I thought it was a sick joke at first but then started reading alot of reliable news sources. Once it sunk in, it kinda ruined me for a couple weeks.
Captain Blackout
[quote="Wayne"]fubes does nothing but kick ass and cut grass[/quote]
Go Leafs Go
Panteraking66669
n0ob

Post by Panteraking66669 »

ok, i was in school ,and my vox ran up yo me and told me, at first i didnt belive it, but then he showed me a print out of the artical...RIP
Fuck u
Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Post by Edna Bodine »

I was right here. On the panterachat board. That night. Someone made a thread in the general forum about an incident at a Damageplan show; shortly after, the board went down due to heavy traffic. I followed the news all over the net as the story broke. Several hours later, I went downstairs and sat alone in the living room to wait for my guitarist/housemate to come home, with two shots of Wild Spirit already poured.

The next day didn't exist.
Robert Hollis wrote:Me fucking around with women cost me my college education and also one of the women I was involved for awhile ended up killing herself because she was so depressed
EvilisthenewGood wrote:I know how time zones work.
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

I was on here what would have been a few hours after the shootings happened, I read one thread about it, I wasn't even paying much attention because the whole idea that someone would kill Dime was just too ridiculous for me to take seriously. If it had been something like a car crash, then yeah...but this had to be a stupid joke, and we all know how good we are on this board at stupid jokes. So I went back to bed, got back on here a few hours later and that's when it hit home that it wasn't a joke. I had some messages on my phone already but I didn't bother checking it. Turned on the TV and it was on. I still thought it had to be a mistake. Some kind of horrible dream. I still do.
chris-the-bassist
n0ob

Post by chris-the-bassist »

i was on my way to college listening to my radio on my phone and on kerrang they announced it, i was fucking so upset over that. i was in a pissed off mood all day and when i went home i sat in my room listened to pantera for hours and hours.
R.I.P DIMEBAG DUDE
undertaker
Creampuff

Post by undertaker »

i was on my way to a job interview. i was soo excited to get an interview with this company. i was on the way there when i heard the news. the interview was just a blur. i didnt get the job and by that point i could care less.

i went to both memorials here in Dallas, one at their nude bar and the big one at a convention center. that helped everyone remember all the good things that Dime did and that his music will be around forever.
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

undertaker wrote: i went to both memorials here in Dallas, one at their nude bar and the big one at a convention center. that helped everyone remember all the good things that Dime did and that his music will be around forever.
Damn, I really wish I could have gone to that, to say goodbye :(
Psycho Gangster
Lynch Mob

Post by Psycho Gangster »

I came on here like I do every afternoon and saw the headline "Dimebag shot at Colombus nightclub". couldn't believe it at first. I mean, that shit just doesn't happen. and not Dime. I browsed a few other sites and saw it was true. I was pretty shocked about it the rest of the day. listened to Pantera that night while getting drunk, and came pretty close to tears.
Give me a reason, 'cause I got nothing to gain/so what am I doing now?
Feeling complacent, I cannot be contained/I'm so lost and lonely now
Riggers
Creampuff

Post by Riggers »

I logged on to Messanger at 8.30am, December 9th, and one of my American contacts had 'RIP Dimebag Darrell' after his name. My blood ran cold, I started checking the net for news, and found out a few hours later that is was true.
undertaker
Creampuff

Post by undertaker »

Damn, I really wish I could have gone to that, to say goodbye :(
It was crazy. Eddie VH and Zakk were pretty messed up while they were trying to tell stories about Dime. Eddie played a message from his cell phone that Dime had left thanking him for being Eddie and the inspiration. Eddie said he never saves messages but he saved that one for some reason. This was before Dime got shot.
slaughtered
Creampuff

Post by slaughtered »

I was in bed, was about 10am, my drummer at the time called me up and was like....'Have you heard about Dimebag?' Naturally as everyone else did i thought it was a joke but when I noticed the tone of his voice I panicked started to cry, and ran for the computer. Just broke down. I really really wanted to go to his memorials, but living in Ireland, obviously it was impossible. So i organised a tribute gig in Belfast which was held last weekend and it really was a brilliant way to say goodbye.

Its weird like, how attached you can get to someone without ever knowing them. I never even met him. Or saw him live. But Dime's still here and he's rawking hard for us all.
Fuck the world, for all its worth...every inch of planet earth.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I was skipping school at the time
i got up around 11am (I think it was about 5 am us time, the morning after he was shot) and went on msn
Now most people were out at work or school but one person was on, it was my friend tam , his display name was "Oh my god im never playing in america, ever, dimebag got shot last night!"
at first i thought he was taking the piss because he can be a dick like that sometimes, but gradually i started going round sights and seeing it more and more... not wanting to believe it was true, but eventually it sunk in , it took a good few hours but i broke down, i couldnt help feel like a pussy or whatever but i did, i must have listened to floods about 100 times that day, it still sucks to think about it ....
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Edna Bodine
Crunchwrap Supreme

Post by Edna Bodine »

dead forever wrote:i must have listened to floods about 100 times that day
Robert Hollis wrote:Me fucking around with women cost me my college education and also one of the women I was involved for awhile ended up killing herself because she was so depressed
EvilisthenewGood wrote:I know how time zones work.
RandyLives
Creampuff

Post by RandyLives »

what is wrong with you guys :aargh:

This is about DImebag not how old or how tough you are !!!!!!

I found out because my brother called me crying his eyes out over the phone the morning of the 9th
:no:
RIFF on DIMEBAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P@nter@
Creampuff

where i was when I heard the news

Post by P@nter@ »

I guess it was the morning after and I was on my way to work. We were listening to the radio and out of the blue the dj says, Dimebag Darrell was killed last night on stage at a bar in ohio. I was like what the fuck, thats gotta be some bull shit, like this fuckin idiot station knows what the hell they are talkin bout. Was kinda pissed to because the fuckin dude was reporting it all nonchalant like it was just another story , fuck that shit . peace out ...latas
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Re: where i was when I heard the news

Post by Brandon »

P@nter@ wrote:I guess it was the morning after and I was on my way to work. We were listening to the radio and out of the blue the dj says, Dimebag Darrell was killed last night on stage at a bar in ohio. I was like what the fuck, thats gotta be some bull shit, like this fuckin idiot station knows what the hell they are talkin bout. Was kinda pissed to because the fuckin dude was reporting it all nonchalant like it was just another story , fuck that shit . peace out ...latas

your username sucks dude
rObsessed!
razorkill666
n0ob

Post by razorkill666 »

i woke up on the 9th hung over because the 8th was my birthday. my buddy who's a rock journalist had sent me a text and I just thought 'that ain't funny'. then my phone just went crazy htroughout the day and it dawned on me it was true. I still can't (and probably won't) get over it. I just have to treasure the moment he looked at me and smiled during his guitar solo as i yelled 'kirk hammett sucks cock'...
RIP BRO
R.I.P Dime
Razorkill-Playing deans 'til the end!
Zivi
BOOM headshot!

Post by Zivi »

I was home after school and had to work later. I almost cried when I read the news in some forum. :x
Panterachat get your metal pestilence. Arbuckle hospital. Iron from 1920s. Aheels. Seals hockey. Evan lysacek personal life. Bbb certified at home ...
Voix
Creampuff

Post by Voix »

Since im in Sweden it wasnt until january i heard of this event. I dont have an steady internet connection either... I was in school and a friend showed me a newspaper going "man som guitar guy just got shot... I think its the guy from pantera".

Took a while to sink in though.

fuck.
lordpopo from hell
Creampuff

Post by lordpopo from hell »

somwbody posted a news from the other forum i visit. and shit i still can't believe all this happened.

r.i.p. dime (my thoughts)
i've heard pantera back then in '94, (i was 11) from a cousin. it kinda have an impact on me for the style was pretty much different from other metal that was famous then. domination is a personal favorite. now i have listened to pantera for almost 10 years. everything that happened lately was something without purpose. sad.

your riffs, songs and red goatee will live in us forever.
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

Get that crap out of your sig.
CobraGT508 88 (4:32:07 AM): on a scale of 1-10, how tall is a goat with credit card eyes?
rebelextravagant (4:32:15 AM): 27%
lordpopo from hell
Creampuff

?? explain why
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

Because it's GH3Y son. :fu:
CobraGT508 88 (4:32:07 AM): on a scale of 1-10, how tall is a goat with credit card eyes?
lordpopo from hell
Creampuff

:aargh: ok done
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

The next step is to click "delete account" under your profile options. :tup:
lordpopo from hell
Creampuff

:fu:
richard
Lynch Mob

Post by richard »

i didnt until the next day. i remeber i was taking a dip in someone elses pool and i thought to myself oh shit someones comming over here to tell me someones dead.
Assman
n0ob

Post by Assman »

I woke up in the middle of the night, turned on the t.v. and started surfing. When I came across the news channels, I was devistated. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing. I'd never heard him called "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott before. It was creepy to hear his name like that. Just the day before I was looking back on all the Pantera shows I'd been to, and what a cool motherfucker Dimebag was. It was total shock. The next morning the phone rang off the hook. It was a very sad day for me, my friends, and the whole metal world. I'm not sure if it's totally sunk in yet that Dime's gone man. It's just too fucked up. I keep a signed picture of Dime above my amp to remind me why I play. R.I.P. Dime!! We love you man.

Metal? Pantera was the last TRUE metal band. All the other shit IS fake, pushed and shitty. I fucking hate new music!!
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

My mom woke me up at six in the morning asking me about Darrell Abbott,something about getting shot,i said she needs to go to sleep.I signed on to aim and it was on the aim page.I called my brother in law and started balling out.Worst day/morning ever.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

I came to the shop and checked my email like I do every morning, and AIM has a popup that rotates the days headlines, and I saw a picture of Dime, but didnt get a chance to read what it was saying. So I had 30 seconds to ponder why Dime was in the news. I finally read that he had been shot, and I was in complete disbelief. I talked to a friend who used to work with Concrete Mgmt. and they confirmed it...at that point I was pretty upset. Thats all I have to say about that.
Get killed.
crveni
Creampuff

Post by crveni »

I was home, just after school. I came home, I was very happy and I was smiling. I turnd on the TV and I saw MTV news. Spmething about Britny Spears and shit, but down in the right corner there was like side news and it said " EX PANTERA GUITARSIST SHOT DEAD" !!!!! I shited my pants, and sat down my comuter, got on the net and cheked it out. I coukdn't belevi it. I still can't!

GOD DAMN!

P.S. my english sucks because I'm from Serbia.

P.P.S.

Can someone send me a FLoyd Rose locikng tremolo there are no here and I need it for my guitar!!! DO IT FOR DBD !!! :D
DEATH TO AMERICA!!! IT SUX !
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

I was on here like 2 in the morning, but they didnt really know who had been killed. I went to bed thinking FUCK then my friend called at 6 am and told me what happened :tdown: :no:
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

What is that? A lunch box? :lol:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Lager wrote:What is that? A lunch box? :lol:
Yes.The thing that tripped me out is the flash that looks like a halo above darrells head.
xxx_viola_xxx
Trendkiller

Post by xxx_viola_xxx »

TK wrote:Image
I wore that shirt today.. from the Extreme Steel Tour.
... And yeah, That does look like a halo over Dime :-(
Got shit on
Pissed on
Spit on
Stepped on
Fucked with
Pointed at by lesser men