About recording demos:

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

About recording demos:

Post by cottonmouth »

Who here has ever recorded a demo? I want to hear some stories about renting studios, how much time you got, how much mixing time, what did you pay for it, how much songs you got in, how many takes etc. Also, what was the demo intended for, promotion material, selling at gigs? Was there many stage experience before the time of recording? Input appreciated comrades
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I've mostly recorded all my own demos. The very first one I recorded became a full-length CD and it was recorded in my house. It's no Boston album, but it wasn't too bad.

I've only played at a studio I paid for once. The best advice is to practice all the songs you are going to record until you got them locked. Make sure you know what everyone else is doing because there is nothing worse than finding out, while the clock is ticking, that someone is playing something no one else noticed before.

Bang out the demos live, as a group. I've used them as promotional tools but with studio equipment being as affordable as it is, they should sound pretty good. Demos I have recorded have been played on the radio, so there's no excuse for having a ratty-sounding recording in this day and age.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
washburnML
I will fuck you up

Post by washburnML »

Pflöyd wrote: Demos I have recorded have been played on the radio
cool
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

yeah i can make studio quality recordings on my computer with a 30 dollar recording program. you just have to learn to record and mix well.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

I've recorded in studios three times. The first time I was about 15 and we weren't ready and it was a waste of time, and I think it was $600 for a 4 song demo (I forget). It included all the time we needed to get our shit done, and mixing.

A few years later we recorded an 8 song "album" at this other studio for $25 an hour (which is REALLY, REALLY cheap, especially in new york). We had to pay for recording AND mixing time. That was basically to sell at gigs and all that shit, and it took a much longer time to finish it than I thought. I think it's mostly cause we weren't really experienced at all in terms of gigs AND recording, as well as just having your shit down as a band (basically, what pfloyd said about finding out that someone was playing something that doesn't fit, etc.). After we recorded that "album", I always made a rule to myself that it always takes 3 times as long to record shit than you originally plan out, because there are always ideas that you come up with on the spot while you're recording and listening to your songs over and over (plus the process DOES take a while). Like I said though, that was probably mostly due to inexperience.

About half a year after that we re-recorded 3 songs from that album shiiiit to make a promo demo. Same studio, but $400 a song for all the pre-production, recording, and mixing time we needed. At this time we've played some gigs, had some members that have been in for a while (we seriously rotated about 4-5 drummers in half a year, and 2 bassists), and had our shit down pretty well....plus we had the experience of recording the same exact songs before and had an idea of what we wanted to do. It still took almost two weeks straight of 9-10 hour days to get it all done (from what I remember...I may have mixed up the last recording project haha)

Hope that helps, and if I remember anything else I'll add it.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

rObsessed!
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Pfl?yd wrote:I've mostly recorded all my own demos. The very first one I recorded became a full-length CD and it was recorded in my house. It's no Boston album, but it wasn't too bad.

I've only played at a studio I paid for once. The best advice is to practice all the songs you are going to record until you got them locked. Make sure you know what everyone else is doing because there is nothing worse than finding out, while the clock is ticking, that someone is playing something no one else noticed before.

Bang out the demos live, as a group. I've used them as promotional tools but with studio equipment being as affordable as it is, they should sound pretty good. Demos I have recorded have been played on the radio, so there's no excuse for having a ratty-sounding recording in this day and age.
This is about what I would have said minus the radio play. So I'll say this instead.

My band is finishing up our first full length album. I recorded, engineered and produced the whole thing. I had enough recording equipment and space in my condo to record live drums so we did it here. In the future though, if i don't have 10 quality channels, pres and mics to record live drums, then I'll go to a studio to track only the drums. It's worth it to have high quality drums, mics, mic preamps and a live room, which most studios have plenty of. Anyone these days can get a sm57 stick it on a amp and get good guitar tones. But to me the thing that separates listenable demos and albums to great sounding records is the drums.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Perhaps, I'll have free time after my record is done. If I do, I could probably mix your demo for cheap. Also by then if the record is done, you will see my results.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

both times i have recorded in a studio environment my band have been asked to go there as part of projects for the producers. Luckily this meant that they tried as hard as they could on this stuff but both times our band didnt take it seriously enough - drinking, fucking around etc. - and it turned out not even half as good as we could have done. since then, the drummer in our band (watwdrums on this forum) has majorly upgraded his recording equipment and knowledge of production/mixing etc. The stuff we're turning out now is getting better and better.

my advice would be if you go to the studio - its not about having a good time. fucking knock the songs out and get it done. with home recording, the freedom you have over your own sound is much more rewarding, so if you're serious, make an investment in equipment.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

This is the result if anyone is interested. Recorded it in one day, all instruments at the same time, vocals later. Since we had a tight schedule we had to leave a few glitches in the recordings. The raw mixes sounded pretty good, so I had my hopes up, but the final mix wasn't what I had hoped for. The whole thing was under 300 euros (400 something in dollars). Main goal of this thing is to hand it out to venues looking for gigs, I suppose it's good enough to fit that purpose.
PS, were not a metalband
http://www.myspace.com/dirtyblonderock
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

SuicideNote wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:I've mostly recorded all my own demos. The very first one I recorded became a full-length CD and it was recorded in my house. It's no Boston album, but it wasn't too bad.

This is about what I would have said minus the radio play. So I'll say this instead.

My band is finishing up our first full length album. I recorded, engineered and produced the whole thing. I had enough recording equipment and space in my condo to record live drums so we did it here. In the future though, if i don't have 10 quality channels, pres and mics to record live drums, then I'll go to a studio to track only the drums. It's worth it to have high quality drums, mics, mic preamps and a live room, which most studios have plenty of. Anyone these days can get a sm57 stick it on a amp and get good guitar tones. But to me the thing that separates listenable demos and albums to great sounding records is the drums.
This is exactly what my band are doing. £500 for a weekend (all hours sat and sun plus friday evening to set up) in a studio to track drums, then we can do everything else in people's houses etc because we have a handful of mics and some decent software betweeen us :tup:
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I make electronic stuff, so it's a different world, but I have knowledge of what you're talking about.

Invest in a few GOOD mics, a GOOD PCI audio interface, some GOOD monitors, remember to be patient, and NEVER EVER pay for studio time again.
Ezekiel 23:20