playing bass

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

playing bass

Post by Dimejandro »

gives me huge callouses :x
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

yeah, it's wonderful. play long enough and you'll lose complete feeling in yer fingertips
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

yeah man. I havn't played bass in like.. a couple of years. I had a couple of basses but i lent them .. I just got them back because im going to play bass in this Molotov cover band. Should be fun!! My fucking right hand finger tips are throbbing and feel weird on my comps touchpad. It's still pretty cool i havn't lost as much technique as i expected.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

i hope you don't use a pick :no:
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I use my picking fingers to finger chicks.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i was trying to learn a solo for guitar recently and got big fucking blisters on my middle and ring finger. i forgot how much they hurt, i hadn't had any in a few yrs
Last edited by Hunter/Killer on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

hektik wrote:i hope you don't use a pick :no:
hahah heeelll nawww. I always use mah fingers, hence my right hand throbbing :|): . Anyway, ever since i was a kid i thought playing bass with a pick was cheating / gay.. and thought les claypool was gawd.

Yeah me too phemy. My last fingering experience was pretty fawkin awesome.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

chicks love bassists. put your hand down their pants and start flickin the bean at 300 bpm straight 16ths. even if they don't want it.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

:lol: :lol: . I like to pluck and pop the anus while i slap the vag. That is caketown.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I do two hand tapping licks on their vagina hair.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

fuck that i'll just grab the chick like a bowling ball
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

I once snapped a guitar string and let it whip my cock, then I started jacking off to the 256 sixteenths the metronome was on. It kinda stings at first, but i fucking splooged like crazy, i needed a bunch of kleenex.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Is there any way to improve my left thumb's endurance? I play only about an hour a day at the most and it hurts like a motherfucker when I play any song longer than three minutes. I hate that. Does it magically get rock hard after thousands of hours of practice or what? I try not to press it against the back of the neck whenever I can, but still...
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

banjo>bass
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Bukkake Tsunami wrote:banjo>bass
Les Claypool has a bass banjo :)
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

Maelstrom wrote:
Bukkake Tsunami wrote:banjo>bass
Les Claypool has a bass banjo :)
o rly?
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

Maelstrom wrote:Is there any way to improve my left thumb's endurance? I play only about an hour a day at the most and it hurts like a motherfucker when I play any song longer than three minutes. I hate that. Does it magically get rock hard after thousands of hours of practice or what? I try not to press it against the back of the neck whenever I can, but still...
Keeping your thumb anchored on the neck, particularly in the middle/back, is proper technique from what I've been taught.
I'd say do left hand exercises without your bass, doing something else. And fucking STRETCH too.
Stretch every part of your arms, hands, and shoulders before you start playing a lot.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Maelstrom wrote:Is there any way to improve my left thumb's endurance? I play only about an hour a day at the most and it hurts like a motherfucker when I play any song longer than three minutes. I hate that. Does it magically get rock hard after thousands of hours of practice or what? I try not to press it against the back of the neck whenever I can, but still...
Start with some hand stretches. Your hand is probably too tense while you play. Try to relax.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

i got a damn blister on my left hand middle finger. Maelbuddy: you should obtain more endurance as you practice regularly. but yeah, It's better if you avoid playing with a tense hand and try to apply the proper thumb positioning on the back of the neck. You'll see that your thumb will tend to do things for comfort.. for example: for long stretches angle your hand a bit and place your thumb towards the bottom. Generally you'll find that when you play high 3 string chords your thumb will tend to go up.. although I dont think you should really worry too much about thumb positioning unless you're playing an acoustic guitar.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

yeah, I know. Most professional musicians tell you to use the "proper" fretting technique and a few moments later you see them playing their own way :lol:
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Buy a metronome.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Maelstrom wrote:yeah, I know. Most professional musicians tell you to use the "proper" fretting technique and a few moments later you see them playing their own way :lol:
there ain't no right or wrong way to fret. There's comfortable, and more comfortable. Try angling your bass like 45 degrees, that's what I do, I can stretch a hell of a lot more and can move around the fretboard quicker. Also, do stretches before you play, shake your hand to get the blood flowing to it better after you stretch, do the pentatonic scale all the way up and down the neck, simple basic shit, it'll help in the long run buddy clown :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The callouses only exist on my right hand. I have an aggressive right hand technique but a light, quick touch with my left. Probably doesn't hurt that my action is a frog hair above the frets.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Pfl?yd wrote:The callouses only exist on my right hand. I have an aggressive right hand technique but a light, quick touch with my left. Probably doesn't hurt that my action is a frog hair above the frets.
don't you get the annoying and infamous clack?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

hektik wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:The callouses only exist on my right hand. I have an aggressive right hand technique but a light, quick touch with my left. Probably doesn't hurt that my action is a frog hair above the frets.
don't you get the annoying and infamous clack?
Not too much. I barely touch the strings with my left hand. If I'm doing any slap/tap stuff, I want the clack. Otherwise I lay back quite a bit and only use the tips of the fingers on my right hand. I like the idea of putting as little effort into playing as possible.

My acoustic bass is a workhorse though. The strings feel like bridge cables and the action is measured in stories.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

whats with the name change. im all confused
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Who?
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

y?u
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I dunno, after the board went down a couple days ago, the ö was replaced with ?
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

the first song i learned on bass was for whom the bell tolls.
rObsessed!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Brandon wrote:the first song i learned on bass was for whom the bell tolls.
You'd surprised how many bands I see that cover that song that play the intro bass riff on guitar. :x :x :x
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

Pfl?yd wrote:
You'd surprised how many bands I see that cover that song that play the intro bass riff on guitar. :x :x :x
it's because guitarists have to play everyones parts..cause nobody else does it right.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

DeathSion wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
it's because guitarists have to play everyones parts..cause nobody else does it right.
haha havin a rough time with the band jake??
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

No, it's going great. Just got...another new drummer. we've got about 30 minutes of music made up..lol 4 songs. I've been using a college band instructor(who is our new drummers father) to help make up alot of orchestra/symphony type stuff. got all new flight cases for my cab..and one that's a amp/6 space rack. my brother bought a new mesa boogie cab, and ordered an engl powerball..which should be here next week(he decided that he would play with us after he saw a couple of the guys i tried out.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

fucking sweet bro, good to hear its going well. aaa damn you! i LOVE engl's. wanna get one.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

I thinking about picking up a cheap 5 string to dick around on, what do you guys recommend?
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Muffin wrote:I thinking about picking up a cheap 5 string to dick around on, what do you guys recommend?
Schecter or Fender MiM should do.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
pRiMaL
Creampuff

Post by pRiMaL »

I cannot stand bass players who use picks it really brings their talent down in my eyes ive been playing a while and never use picks
ITS A MESSAGE IN BLOOD! ITS YOUR CRYPTIC WARNING!
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

i think there are great bassists who use picks. it's just a sonic preference in my opinion. i am a guitarist who has been playing bass for about two years now, and i'm learning with my fingers because it's more fun and sounds better, in my opinion. i have alot more dynamic control using my fingers than with a pick. the only time i use one is if the shit is way too hard for me right now.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
pRiMaL
Creampuff

Post by pRiMaL »

yeah get your self a 5 string they are awesome once you get used to the extra string being there. I had a 5 string jazz bass style custom sandberg bass that was pretty fucking amazing but I sold it to save up for a new amp.
ITS A MESSAGE IN BLOOD! ITS YOUR CRYPTIC WARNING!