Peavey XXX

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Peavey XXX

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

I have had this head for a little while and i can't seem to get a distortion out of it that isn't scratchy or tinny sounding. Anybody have any suggestions on some settings for this amp on the ultra or crunch channels?? Is there an amp head for about the same money that has a thicker sound. Also i am using dimebuckers through my jackson guitar, is that maby causing the problem also??
Suck me
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

Try using a tubescreamer in front of it, seems to get people good results, but dont plug it in and whack the gain up full cos it will sound like ass, use very little gain.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I have a dimebucker in my Jackson and I hated the tone from it, personally. Really thin.
Hero-Of-The-Day
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hero-Of-The-Day »

The line6 spider 3 series head rules and has the best stock distortion i have ever heard. And it is a very good price :tup:
Ben
fuckyeah

Re: Peavey XXX

Post by Ben »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:I have had this head for a little while and i can't seem to get a distortion out of it that isn't scratchy or tinny sounding. Anybody have any suggestions on some settings for this amp on the ultra or crunch channels?? Is there an amp head for about the same money that has a thicker sound. Also i am using dimebuckers through my jackson guitar, is that maby causing the problem also??
Your pickups might add high end, but how the fuck are you eq'ing it? I've played both my RG7420 and EC1000 (which has emg 81's) through mine and always gotten compliments on my tone. I generally run my treble around 6ish, midrange around 4.5 and bass around 4, crank the channel volume, and put the gain on about 6. The only tone-shaping effect I use is a Boss GE7, which I use to boost specific midrange frequencies. Also, what kind of cab are you using?
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

My friend has one that i've played my soloist through a couple times, It sounded fine.
Are your cables fine? Are you using the right ones? Like Ben said, how are you eq'ing? I've never tried a dimebucker so I have no clue there.