My new guitar (w/ pics)

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Ben
fuckyeah

My new guitar (w/ pics)

Post by Ben »

Got this a few weeks back, oh the joys of e-bay.

Ibanez RG7420
- stock pickups (soon to be replaced with DiMarzios)
- Floyd Rose trem
- the guy stripped the original finish on it, sanded it down, and just put a nice light stain and a coat of lacquer on it. It looks 100x better in person.
- PLUS this Warwick road case (retails at about 200)

All for 390 bucks. :)
Last edited by Ben on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

Oh Oooh OOOHh

very nice brah! specs??
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Updated orig. post with specs. :)

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

why is it that the hair follicles around my rusty penny are always itchy?
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

You sure that aint an edge trem?

Also , bolt on necks = :tdown:
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Bolt on necks are fine :roll:

Ben, did you get fucked for VAT? I just ordered an efects loop selector from the States, and i had to pay £9 VAT plus a £14 clearance fee to parcelforce :x Lucklily they didn't detect my previous purchase of a tubescreamer, boss dd6 and a small stone otherwise I'd be paying through my teeth! The guitar looks sweet, by the way :tup:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

croninburg wrote:Bolt on necks are fine :roll:

Uh, clearly I dont think that, otherwise I wouldnt have said it. :)
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Normally I'm anti-bolt ons, but the neck joint on this one is so fucking smooth and it has such a deep cutaway that I don't mind at all.

And you're right, it's a licensed trem, not original. Doesn't really matter to me, it stays it tune just fine and I use the hell out of it.

Cron, what is VAT?

croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Value Added Tax, for some reason I thought you were from the UK.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

croninburg wrote:Value Added Tax, for some reason I thought you were from the UK.
Oh, nope, sorry dude. I'm from the US.

Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

Neck-thru's may look flashier, but it's actually better to have a quality bolt-on neck. and it doesn't have a different feel, unless that's what the guitar is going for. I played through a neck thru for years, and my new guitar is bolt on and i havn't realy felt a change in the neck joint.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Why is it better than a neck-thru?
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

well, it's subjective, but the reason why I think quality bolt-ons are better is because they have the same sustain as neck-thru's, easier to adjust, necks can be removed, and generally sound brighter. If a neck-thru modeled guitar's neck starts to move and get crooked, it's harder to adjust and fix. It has it's advantages, yet depending on the job of the bolt-on the difference in sound is sometimes minimal. But anyway, this is my opinion and I'm sure there's people who think neck thru's are better.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Dimejandro wrote:well, it's subjective, but the reason why I think quality bolt-ons are better is because they have the same sustain as neck-thru's, easier to adjust, necks can be removed, and generally sound brighter. If a neck-thru modeled guitar's neck starts to move and get crooked, it's harder to adjust and fix. It has it's advantages, yet depending on the job of the bolt-on the difference in sound is sometimes minimal. But anyway, this is my opinion and I'm sure there's people who think neck thru's are better.
A quality neck thru always feels better in my opinion. The finish is always far superior and in general it just seems to play much smoother. Not to mention asthetically it looks much better and less thrown together in two minutes in some factory.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

If a neck through guitar's neck started to "move and get crooked" isnt is a safe bet that the rest of the guitar would move with it in relation?

That's a serious question btw
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

The re-finish looks great. And the case is worth the price alone. Nice deal.

As for the type of neck/crooked neck debate, it breaks down like this:

Type of neck is ultimately based on what feels good to you and what you can afford. I personally think that how a neck is finished has more to do with the feel than style of neck, and neck-thru bassess are made that way for different reasons than guitars. The principle is the same, but the results are different because often neck-thru bass necks are laminates or "sandwiches", if you will, of a couple different types of wood. Often, a neck-thru instrument is associated w/ more sustain & better transfer of fundamental frequencies. Set-necks tend to have similar characteristics to thru-body necks, and when done right tend to combine the best aspects of a bolt-on w/ the best of a neck-thru. Bolt ons are largely dependent upon how well the neck/body joint is made; you don't really want to be able to slide anything thicker than a business card or a few sheets of paper in between the neck & body joint. The tighter the fit of the joint, the better transfer of energy from the neck to the body.

Necks warp because they are:
A) Made from shitty wood
B) Made from poorly flatsawn wood (as opposed to quarter or half-sawn woods, which make the grain more stable)
C) Used, abused, and left for dead
D) Various combinations of the above

The moral: Buy what feels good that you can afford & then fucking take good care of it.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i like the rg's. i just don't like that finish
... You're killing me, Smalls.
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

Sweet axe buddy ! :tup: :|):
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

that looks sweet. :tup:
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Thank you sirs :) :)

KirkHammett
Creampuff

Post by KirkHammett »

Nice
ESP Rules
Pop your Dean Nut
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

I think that finish is really sweet too :tup:
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

whatchu kno bout pics, nigga?
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
ibanez
Creampuff

Post by ibanez »

Nice guitar. I have an Ibanez RG 120. It looks like yours, except it's metallic blue, and has a wammy bar.
www.extremefilmsproductions.com

R.I.P. DIMEBAG
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Mine has the licensed floyd system, but the dude didn't have the bar in when he took those pics. :)

I seriously need to put new p/us in this thing though. The stock Ibanez blowwwwww.

Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

what do you have in mind for replacements?? I don't know shit about 7 string pickups lol.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I love that finish cuzn... :tup: Damn good find there...
Ezekiel 23:20
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

The Doctor wrote:I love that finish cuzn... :tup: Damn good find there...
Thanks man. I have a thing for natural and see-thru finishes. I've always thought it was kind of funny that I play death metal on "pretty" guitars, heh. These pics don't do it justice, though. I'll have to take some with a good digital camera and slap 'em up here.

And Dimejandro, I'm looking at going with DiMarzios, either a Blaze or Evolution in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. I've always liked the way the EMG 81's in my ESP sound, but the 81/7 run around 100 bucks each, whereas the DiMarzios are about 2/3 the cost. Plus, I don't want to have to jam a battery in somewhere since the guitar doesn't have one already cut for the battery, unlike my ESP. If I wind up hating the DiMarzio sound, though, I'll just sell the pickups and give the EMG's a shot. I'll keep everyone updated, as I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat waiting to know what I decide, haha.

BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

It looks like a coffee table.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

Ben wrote:
The Doctor wrote:I love that finish cuzn... :tup: Damn good find there...
Thanks man. I have a thing for natural and see-thru finishes. I've always thought it was kind of funny that I play death metal on "pretty" guitars, heh. These pics don't do it justice, though. I'll have to take some with a good digital camera and slap 'em up here.

And Dimejandro, I'm looking at going with DiMarzios, either a Blaze or Evolution in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. I've always liked the way the EMG 81's in my ESP sound, but the 81/7 run around 100 bucks each, whereas the DiMarzios are about 2/3 the cost. Plus, I don't want to have to jam a battery in somewhere since the guitar doesn't have one already cut for the battery, unlike my ESP. If I wind up hating the DiMarzio sound, though, I'll just sell the pickups and give the EMG's a shot. I'll keep everyone updated, as I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat waiting to know what I decide, haha.
lol! i also changed from emg's to dimarzios, a D sonic and custom JP. I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with dimarzio's, i think they sound pretty badass.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Ben, when you get some good pickups, let me know what you go with because I want to upgrade my seven's bridge pickup for a little more oomph. the neck works just fine for jazz stuff though.
Last edited by Pfl?yd on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

That finish looks amaaaazing :tup:
Stuck_Mojo_smokeblunt
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Stuck_Mojo_smokeblunt »

dead forever wrote:

foreal.. are you fuckin rex.. from pantera? i seen someone act like you were rex in another post..
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Pflöyd wrote:Ben, when you get some good pickups, let me know what you go with because I want to upgrade my seven's bridge pickup for a little more oomph. the neck works just fine for jazz stuff though.
Will do man :tup:

I'm replacing my neck pickup too because I don't like the way it sounds with lots of gain. It's not so much warm as it is muddy. :(

Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

Stuck_Mojo_smokeblunt wrote:
dead forever wrote:

foreal.. are you fuckin rex.. from pantera? i seen someone act like you were rex in another post..
yeah, that's rex brown. respect.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy