Whats your favorite distortion pedal?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Whats your favorite distortion pedal?

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

I'm looking for a new one for my Fender HotRod Deville. Any suggestions?
Looking for a good metal tone.. :D
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

i have a gay numetal friend who uses "The Weapon". it sounds gay. amp distortion is almost always better anyways.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

I don't use a pedal, but a lot of people like the Boss Metal Zone and the Line 6 Uber Metal. I got a Metal Zone a few years ago for christmas, and I think it sounds a little bit tinny, but I haven't messed around with it too much.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

i used to use the boss mt-2 metal zone until i bought an effect board. my effect board has the mt-2 built in though
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

v-amp2 modern dist
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Ibanez Tube Screamer or Pro-Co Rat pedal for guitar. DOD Bass overdrive or the distortion in my Boss unit for bass or keyboard.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Boss Metalizer.

Doubling leads live ftw.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

The tube screamer rules, I use it out front on the clean channel(On a SS amp :( ) so I just get a little extra bite. I'd like to see how it holds up for high gain sounds in a metal context, I believe Killswitch Engage use them in their effects loops :?
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

I use my Boss V-Wah on full gain... Oh yeh :tup:
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

You can't really go wrong with a Boss MT2 for metal, and you can buy MODIFIED versions of it from Analogman or check out guitartone.net & do the mod yourself. The mod gets rid of the "white noise" sound of the stock pedal's eq.

Also, if you're just looking for something to punish the front end of the amp, try looking around for a TC Electronic Line Driver/Booster pedal. I don't know if they make them new anymore, but they do turn up used (not cheap, but they're out there) & they fucking RULE.

If you're on a tight budget, find a used Boss MT2 or HM2 (or HM3) or even a DS1 and modify it.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i like the mt2 on my pedal only after it gets raped by an eq
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Amp distortion is better, Thats not saying I have anything against Pedals :tdown: :fu: :tup:
lolz
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

Pflöyd wrote:Ibanez Tube Screamer or Pro-Co Rat pedal for guitar. DOD Bass overdrive or the distortion in my Boss unit for bass or keyboard.
Will the TS9 give you a "metal tone?" I thought it was more for classic rock..?? Same with ProCo?
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

Firestorm wrote:Amp distortion is better, Thats not saying I have anything against Pedals :tdown: :fu: :tup:
I have an amp with good distortion. I am looking for another tone for my fender. I am getting a good metal tone now with a Digitech Grunge believe it or not.. but there are two secret weapons in the chain :)
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

A metal zone is just about the worst sounding noisemaker i have ever heard.

I use amp distortion with some eq. But if i had to use a pedal to boost it... tube screamer. If i had to use a pedal for all of my distortion it would be a sansamp.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

5axisOfEvil wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:Ibanez Tube Screamer or Pro-Co Rat pedal for guitar. DOD Bass overdrive or the distortion in my Boss unit for bass or keyboard.
Will the TS9 give you a "metal tone?" I thought it was more for classic rock..?? Same with ProCo?
Like a high gain roaring stack of Marshalls tone? No. but if you want that you're probably better off getting your distortion from a high gain amp. I'm not particularly a fan of really high-gain stompboxes, it sounds better just driving the shit out fo the front end of an already powerful amp. I have an Metal Zone and a DOD Death Metal that are just gathering dust at this point.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
F'N Pete Sweeney
Creampuff

Post by F'N Pete Sweeney »

Pflöyd wrote:
5axisOfEvil wrote:
Like a high gain roaring stack of Marshalls tone? No. but if you want that you're probably better off getting your distortion from a high gain amp. I'm not particularly a fan of really high-gain stompboxes, it sounds better just driving the shit out fo the front end of an already powerful amp. I have an Metal Zone and a DOD Death Metal that are just gathering dust at this point.
The TS-9 Works pretty good as a clean boost to... Basically just to give the sound a little kick in the ass for leads and such.
5axisOfEvil
I will fuck you up

Post by 5axisOfEvil »

Pflöyd wrote:
5axisOfEvil wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the help.
KirkHammett
Creampuff

Post by KirkHammett »

I like my Digitech Metal Master..............anyones input on the dime distortion?
ESP Rules
Pop your Dean Nut
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Well since your asking me, I would say the Big Muff, Soldano GTO, and Ibanez TS-9 (an overdrive, x that out).
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

You might think about combining a tube screamer with a compressor and another distortion pedal that isn't full-on retarded distortion. That way you still have some clarity.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

KirkHammett wrote:I like my Digitech Metal Master..............anyones input on the dime distortion?
Don't buy one.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

KirkHammett wrote:I like my Digitech Metal Master..............anyones input on the dime distortion?
I have one of those too, I usually have the gain to about 7 or 8 on that thing, sounds the best to me right there.
I also used to have the mt-2 metal zone, a lot of people hate those, I got pretty good results from it though.
RyppR
Creampuff Sr.

Post by RyppR »

Aeon wrote:
Don't buy one.
I have the Dime Distorion i Fuc'n love it....play my Jackson Soloist on it smooth :tup: also have the Metal Zone MT-2 by BOSS....REAL GRINDIE..rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..will most likely purch a Dean Razorback Flying V some time in 2007!! fuc'n Black & Red...can't wait!!
---------------------------------------------------
Bend Your Fuc'n Knees and Avert Your Eyes.
ashe5SF
Creampuff

Post by ashe5SF »

I use a Boss metal zone in a gain-staging chain. i like having the parametric EQ for sweeping the mids. i feel like i have more control with that pedal than others for some reason.

ashe
FUCK ARTHRITIS
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I'm getting a Vox Tonelab SE... that's all I can say...
Ezekiel 23:20
RyppR
Creampuff Sr.

Post by RyppR »

silverback77 wrote:You can't really go wrong with a Boss MT2 for metal, and you can buy MODIFIED versions of it from Analogman or check out guitartone.net & do the mod yourself. The mod gets rid of the "white noise" sound of the stock pedal's eq.

If you're on a tight budget, find a used Boss MT2 or HM2 (or HM3) or even a DS1 and modify it.

yea..now that it has been mentioned....my MT-2 dose have that white noise and dose sound kinda tinny...how do you modify ?? i also use the blue MXR graphic EQ...everything was bleeding together before i got it....
absolutely... a good high gain amp dose not need a pedal...Marshalls and Kranks...Mesa Boogies... :( ...i have a fender amp...upgrade needed. thanks :tup:
Drohc
Creampuff

Post by Drohc »

Yep- Behringer VAmp2
RyppR
Creampuff Sr.

Post by RyppR »

dude...the Behringer is nice...i have one...not bad. :tup:
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

RyppR wrote:
silverback77 wrote:You can't really go wrong with a Boss MT2 for metal, and you can buy MODIFIED versions of it from Analogman or check out guitartone.net & do the mod yourself. The mod gets rid of the "white noise" sound of the stock pedal's eq.

yea..now that it has been mentioned....my MT-2 dose have that white noise and dose sound kinda tinny...how do you modify ?? i also use the blue MXR graphic EQ...everything was bleeding together before i got it....
absolutely... a good high gain amp dose not need a pedal...Marshalls and Kranks...Mesa Boogies... :( ...i have a fender amp...upgrade needed. thanks :tup:
www.analogman.com does mods for loads of pedals including boss. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be to have a pedal shipped to the states and back just to be tinkered with though. Slverback seems to know a bit about DIY modifications.