What are some good pickups for....

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
dim3bag|darrell
Creampuff

What are some good pickups for....

Post by dim3bag|darrell »

I got a dean MLX phantom and i was wonderin what are some good pickups for it? I already got some really kickass strings for it (Ernie Ball Power Slinkys) but i wanan install the pickups before i put in the strings (duh lol) so please help me fellow pantera fans. I wanna a heavy sound, kinda like a7x sound (even though i hate them >.<)
[quote="dedricbell012"]To you its a six-pack; to me its a support group.[/quote]
[quote="panteraownz666"]Its as bad as you think, they are out to get you.[/quote]
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

just get some emg 81 and 85 for an excellent heavy tone. they're active's though. i dont listen to faggotry so i dont know what their tone sounds like.
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

tone is in your hands anyway.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

JesseJames wrote:tone is in your hands anyway.
it starts somewhere my friend
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Your right dude- electronics play no role in a persons tone at all...

:lol: :roll:
Get killed.
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Re: What are some good pickups for....

Post by silverback77 »

dim3bag|darrell wrote:I got a dean MLX phantom and i was wonderin what are some good pickups for it? I already got some really kickass strings for it (Ernie Ball Power Slinkys) but i wanan install the pickups before i put in the strings (duh lol) so please help me fellow pantera fans. I wanna a heavy sound, kinda like a7x sound (even though i hate them >.<)
EMG 81's & 85's are a good choice, probably the best choice if you want active pickups. Personally, I don't know anyone who can really take advantage of what they offer, so I'd recommend the following passive pickups:

Dimarzio Super 3 at the bridge (info from DiMarzio's webiste): Think of the Super 3™ as a Super Distortion® with more mid-range grind and chopped treble. If you play your amp with scooped mids and intense overdrive, this is your pickup. The Super 3™'s smooth highs allow you to turn up your amp's treble and presence without fear of thinning out your sound, and the crunchy mids ensure you won't get lost in the mix. It's also a great pickup to use with distortion pedals--it drives them hard and allows full use of their tone controls.
Recommended For: The Super 3â„¢ is primarily a bridge position pickup. Specifically designed for solid-bodies; hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.

DiMarzio Air Norton: The Air Norton™ started out simply to be the Airbucker™ version of the Norton®. We thought it would make a distinctive-sounding bridge pickup with high-gain amps, but we soon discovered that it’s a radically neat neck pickup, too. The tone is deep and warm, but not muddy. It's hot, but not distorted. It's even got cool harmonics, which are really unusual for a neck humbucker. The patented Air Norton™ magnetic structure reduces string-pull, so sustain is improved; and pick attack and dynamics are tremendously controllable and expressive. Combine the Air Norton™ with an Air Zone™, The Tone Zone® or Steve's Special™ in the bridge position for a perfect blend of power and tone, or use an Air Norton™ in the bridge position with an Air Classic™ bridge model in the neck position for a distinctive medium-output blues-rock sound.

The advantage of passive pickups is mainly that you never have to worry if your fucking battery is dead or your internal preamp is shot if something sounds weird.

The advantage of the EMGs is that they're shielded internally and are quiet as death itself.

DO MORE RESEARCH YOURSELF because the tone is in EVERY PART OF YOUR SIGNAL CHAIN, including your hands.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Jefferino wrote:

Guess that is why you can play through someone's rig and sound different from what they do. :roll:
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

Guess that is why you can play through someone's rig and sound different from what they do. :roll:
Guess so!
Roz
Magically Seditious

Post by Roz »

come here often?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

It's true to an extent, but don't kid yourself.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

You obviously have no experience, any decent musician knows that electronics play a vital role in a persons sound... do you have "magic fingers" or something? :lol:

5 threads ago you didnt even know what a good guitar to buy was... :roll:
Get killed.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

I think thats an owned.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Jefferino wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

You obviously have no experience, any decent musician knows that electronics play a vital role in a persons sound... do you have "magic fingers" or something? :lol:

I know the good guitars asshat. Just not set on one and want some ideas. Guaranteed you could put Steve Vai on your rig and he would still sound like Steve Vai.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Revolver wrote:I think thats an owned.
You are SAD man. You follow me from thread to thread trying to get a rise out of me. All you ever get from me is a :roll: . :lol:
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

JesseJames wrote:
Revolver wrote:I think thats an owned.
You are SAD man. You follow me from thread to thread trying to get a rise out of me. All you ever get from me is a :roll: . :lol:
Give me an example of one of these threads. No? Owned. Again.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

I know the good guitars asshat. Just not set on one and want some ideas. Guaranteed you could put Steve Vai on your rig and he would still sound like Steve Vai.
Well if we put you on ANY rig it would sound like shit- I guess you have somewhat of a point.
Get killed.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Jefferino wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
Jefferino wrote:

Well if we put you on ANY rig it would sound like shit- I guess you have somewhat of a point.
Yes, because you have heard me play so much right?
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

You may be able to tell it's Steve Vai playing through a shitty rig, but it will still sound like shit. No amount of technique can make up for a shitty guitar plugged into a shitty amp.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

why anybody wants a signature tone when nobody gives a fuck about them is beyond me. just learn how to play your instrument.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

4 Threads. Oh noes!! Grow up you baby.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Yup, 4 of them, you're like a little fucking kid flailing your arms and begging me to give you some attention. Because you think you can outsmart me or embarass me somehow.
You can't, you aren't, and you never will. You're sad, and I hated to give you the attention this time, but the chance to show what a dipshit you are was too much to resist. Don't worry though, you wont be getting anymore attention until another opportune moment arises.
dim3bag|darrell
Creampuff

Post by dim3bag|darrell »

DBS wrote:why anybody wants a signature tone when nobody gives a fuck about them is beyond me. just learn how to play your instrument.
i know how to play i just want to get a certain tone for a couple songs my band has written.
[quote="dedricbell012"]To you its a six-pack; to me its a support group.[/quote]
[quote="panteraownz666"]Its as bad as you think, they are out to get you.[/quote]
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

dim3bag|darrell wrote:
DBS wrote:why anybody wants a signature tone when nobody gives a fuck about them is beyond me. just learn how to play your instrument.
i know how to play i just want to get a certain tone for a couple songs my band has written.
:lol: right......
[quote="Edna Bodine"][quote="Richard The Duke"]What do you do when you take a monster shit and you realize that there is no toilet paper in the bathroom??[/quote]

pick it up and throw it out the window[/quote]

Post by Guest »

PhilCore wrote:come here often?
yahtzee
Metalluthier
n0ob

Post by Metalluthier »

Who needs active pickups with the technology we have in modern day amps? I believe there is a large bias placed on active pickups, because people like the idea of having something that's ridiculously hot. Anyways, I've got a Duncan 59' and SH1 in my ZZ, they work very well together, I'd reccomend it...

Holocaust 247 - Requim for a Whore (2004) - 6 - Slavery (Victim March Mix).mp3 [192Kbps] (07:24)
"I am a man and I hold in my hand my fate"
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

PhilCore wrote:
PhilCore wrote:come here often?
yahtzee
:lol:
[quote="PhilCore"]er du behövande en rum - kompis? :)[/quote]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I have active pickups in my ESP bass, but my Rickenbacker is still at least twice as loud.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

JesseJames wrote:Yup, 4 of them, you're like a little fucking kid flailing your arms and begging me to give you some attention. Because you think you can outsmart me or embarass me somehow.
You can't, you aren't, and you never will. You're sad, and I hated to give you the attention this time, but the chance to show what a dipshit you are was too much to resist. Don't worry though, you wont be getting anymore attention until another opportune moment arises.
:lol: Exactly the answer I was looking for. Step away from the keyboard!
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

EMG 81 or 85
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
soulburn
Cowboy From Hell

Post by soulburn »

i play an 85 in the bridge postition. sounds like tits. sounds warmer
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

BaptizedBurning wrote:EMG 81 or 85
lolz
Sexual Thunder
Lynch Mob

Post by Sexual Thunder »

I like Gibson Burstbucker III's. Crunchy tone, good solid mids. Even though he's not "metal," if you want to hear these pickups put to good effect, listen to Aerosmith's "HONKIN' ON BOBO" or Joe Perry's latest solo album, they smoke!!
[quote="Mad Muir"]Turkey is awesome with the right kind of gravy, fags.[/quote]
BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

soulburn wrote:i play an 85 in the bridge postition. sounds like tits. sounds warmer
excellent choice. that's what i have too.
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

i have the 81(bridge) and 85(neck). I've heard some people switch them around. Anyone here try both ways, and can give a comparison?
soulburn
Cowboy From Hell

Post by soulburn »

BaptizedBurning wrote:
soulburn wrote:i play an 85 in the bridge postition. sounds like tits. sounds warmer
excellent choice. that's what i have too.
it's the secret weapon
Bassgod
Creampuff

Post by Bassgod »

I play bass, but I here DiMarzio Super Distortions are good.
Its all int the volume.
SPRIGGSEY
Creampuff

Post by SPRIGGSEY »

a wheelbarrow is good
greatsouthern trendkill
Creampuff

Post by greatsouthern trendkill »

a dimebucker DUH LOL and an 91 might work nice
yeah
vulgarstrength
Mouth For War

Post by vulgarstrength »

Dimejandro wrote: i dont listen to faggotry
:lol: ha that statement ruled for some reason, maybe cus im runbk? i dont know but i laughed
[quote="BassPhemy"]Whoever doesn't love Ernest can just have a bleach sandwich.[/quote]

[quote="Dirty Sanchez"]dont know how and wouldnt do it if i knew how, go fuck yourself[/quote]