AM radio on guitar amp

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

AM radio on guitar amp

Post by cottonmouth »

When I'm playing guitar on my amp, every now and then some radio station comes through. Usually it's only audible when I have the guitar's volume turned down, but lately it comes through with the volume open, and that makes it pretty annoying. The pickup spools and the cable must be acting like an antenna, but it must be some kind of design flaw the station gets demodulated I think (it's a pretty cheap 15W Park amp). I tried rearraging the cable it didn't do much, using different pickups helps but gives a kind of crappy sound. Playing over some guy reading poetry seems fun at the beginning but gets real old real fast. Anybody ever dealt with this?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Buy more expensive and possibly shielded cables. Shorter cables, or a different length cable. Longer runs will pick up more RFI. Cheap guitar/amps/cables are just that, cheap.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

NP: Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire
soulburn
Cowboy From Hell

Post by soulburn »

My band was in the studio a couple weekends ago.

We were playing with top of the line equipment. ESP strat w/ EMG's, Mesa Triple Rec thru a Marshall mode 4 cab...monster cables...the works.

Out of nowhere we picked up 2 AM radio stations simultaniously.

One was a gospel "PRAISE THE LOWD" music station, the other was a Jewish Rabbi talking about the Lebanon fiassco.

We recorded 20 minutes of it. Some of the shit we heard gave us the chills. We were recording our "war" themed song. At the begininng...the jewish preacher clearly says "peace for us!" The most baddass part was where we distinctly hear him say "we will not let our brothers die!" Our band is called Brothers in Arms!

sweet, super sweet
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

you can also try plugging all your stuff into a Furman Power Conditioner.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Sometimes I pick up Mexican or asian conversations while talking on our cordless phone.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

I heard somewhere that if your cables are in a coiled fashion it can pick up shit like that... :?
Get killed.
silverback77
Creampuff Sr.

Post by silverback77 »

PABassPlayer wrote:you can also try plugging all your stuff into a Furman Power Conditioner.
A power conditioner won't necessarily help. Panamax makes a better unit than Furman w/ better RFI filters.

Likely the culprit is the wiring in the building where you're playing.
"I'm tryin' to save these boys' LIVES, you crawlin' bookworm! Stand in my way, and I'll pulverize you into chicken droppings!"
Bassgod
Creampuff

Post by Bassgod »

Never heard of that problem, but my buddy had a cheap Harmony guitar the pickups in it would pickup when you talked into them. It sounded like a very low quality mic.
Its all int the volume.